Toronto Park Road | 99.3m | 27s | Capital Developments | Diamond Schmitt

ferusian

Member Bio
Reaction score
717 CHURCH ST
Ward 11: University-Rosedale

Development Applications

Project description:
Twenty-nine-storey residential development with retail uses at grade. The proposed tower height of 99.8 metres plus mechanical, 300 dwelling units in 19,626m² and 29m² of retail floor area.

The assembly includes 717 Church St (a 3-storey commercial building) and 85-97 Collier St..

1605943061147.png

1605943070881.png

This is the entire 'island' bounded by Church, Park and Collier.

It gives a footprint of ~1000m2/11000ft2

1605959614348.png

Given the apparent age of the homes, I checked, none are listed or designated in heritage registrar.

Last edited:
717 was designed by, and home of, John B. Parkin Associates, the preeminent architecture firm in midcentury Canada.

717, in its current state is ugly as sin; I don't care who once had an office there, it's an aesthetic blight.

The homes are by far the interesting pieces in the block; but since they aren't even listed, never mind designated, I'm not expecting them to survive any redevelopment, but ya never know.

I find the homes more interesting than the Parker building too but the whole assembly has its appeal, certainly over the generic condo that's sure to follow.

The homes are nice but unfortunately oriented with their backs turned to Church street - unless you're on that small stretch of Collier you don't really get to appreciate them. The intersection of Park and Church is so incredibly hostile and cars rip around the Church street curve which has awful sight lines if you're on foot, so I'm curious to see how much sidewalk room is going to be allocated here since the plot is so skinny.

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 11.31.25 PM.png

I don't mind the messiness of the backs of the homes and maybe they can be adapted over time to orient more toward Church. The point is probably moot though. I'm sure the assembly's a done deal. The land's just too valuable.

Pushing more height density closer to the Rosedale homes. Let's hope they don't build a metallic looking building ! A building like Symphony Place building on Simcoe Street the would blend nicely here. Having a simular height with stone and concreate slabs. Would be nice transition between the two areas.

Kity- corner to the respite center...lol...Let the fun begin. Good luck selling anything there.

Flat iron here we come!
The existing buildings are awful. Not sure what the history of 717 is, but I guarantee it did not have corrogated aluminum or that third floor.

Last edited:
Kity- corner to the respite center...lol...Let the fun begin. Good luck selling anything there.
I think it's going to be a luxury condo with front row view of the Rosedale community area. That will sell to the upper middle class and up in my opinion. I hope they do create a rich looking flat iron style condo that blends in with this place !

I think it's going to be a luxury condo with front row view of the Rosedale community area. That will sell to the upper middle class and up in my opinion. I hope they do create a rich looking flat iron style condo that blends in with this place !

I also hope they put a park on that sharp corner. Time will tell. Spent a lot of time at King Palace restaurant and stared at that island.
I am not optimistic though; small site and I would think they would go property line to property line

Last edited:

Back