717 Church Street | 105.85m | 29s | Capital Developments | Diamond Schmitt

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
An SPA was submitted earlier this month, now 29-storeys.

1630075003957.png

SonyPayStation

Member Bio
Reaction score
An SPA was submitted earlier this month, now 29-storeys.

View attachment 344403

Obviously this went to LPAT. 29-storeys at Yonge-Bloor is imminently defendable. I said this before, but the neighborhood should have an ask (e.g., streetscape, lighting, etc.) and try to settle -- because they aren't going to get enough height reduction, if any, at LPAT to matter to them. I don't know Capital Developments well, but I imagine flexibility goes out the window once they've paid and delayed to go to the tribunal.

SonyPayStation

Member Bio
Reaction score
@AlexBozikovic Curious your take on this particular one with the new government advisory panel. Do you think it will have teeth and will this still get whittled to 10 storeys? This is a poster child for neighborhoods being prioritized ...

jmacmillan

Member Bio
Reaction score
From Mike Layton’s newsletter:

Virtual Community Consultation Meeting: 717 Church Street Development Application​

My office is hosting a virtual public meeting to discuss the development proposal at 717 Church Street, gather feedback from residents, and answer questions about the project. The applicant, Capital Developments, and City Planning staff will be in attendance.

When: Monday, April 25
Time: 6:30pm-8:00pm
Webex Link: https://toronto.webex.com/toronto/j.php?MTID=me98d175e5800e4416fbdcf8a0961ccc1
Password (if needed): 35999340

The applicant will present the revisions they have made to their proposal, which remains under appeal at the Ontario Land Tribunal. If you are unable to attend, but are interested in learning more, reach out to my office and we will share further information.

SonyPayStation

Member Bio
Reaction score
Changes from the meeting. Reduction in height by 4 storeys, removal of some balconies, widened sidewalks. City planning is going to recommend that this revised settlement is accepted.

I attended this as well and it included a few unique elements

1. People accusing Layton of misappropriating Section 37s
2. People accusing the developer of paying the engineers to fake reports
3. The head of the RA (I think) saying that the tower should by much taller but also saying the building was too big at the same time
4. The developer team basically just staring into space

It sounds like the Councillor and Planning is saying that this is winnable by the developer at the OLT above and beyond planning