Toronto 656 Danforth Avenue | 160.73m | 49s | Del Boca Vista Properties Inc | Studio JCI

I have one of those semis on Strathmore, within 3 mins walk of a subway station. 6-8 storeys next door would be enough to make me sell — but we absolutely need to upzone this area. Insane that it’s only 3-storey single-family houses (and a few scattered 4-storey walkups south of danforth like on Lamb; very few north of Danforth).

Anyway I am hoping for a massive windfall in selling to a developer for a 12-20 storey building on Strathmore someday. I’ll piss off my neighbours by being in favour of upzoning, but I’ll fight against any attempt to capture windfall gains through some extraordinary tax. I lose the house my kids are growing up in, the city gets more housing, but at least I get some tax free cap gains for having bet correctly on the area.

But yes the danforth is way too low density and the side streets nearby absolutely should be part of it.

It's nice to say we could have enough density with mid-rise but the Danforth has had 60 years to be rebuilt to mid-rise density and it hasn't yet - I think there is an economic reason for that.

In fairness, on this last bit, Danforth has never had as-of-right zoning for midrise anywhere along its length.

The rezoning process is a significant issue both in literal cost and time-cost for developers.

Additionally, until recently, we had significant parking requirements which further escalated costs relative to buildable ft2.

That's not to suggest there isn't room for some above mid-rise on the right sites; but the idea that midrise is non-viable because comparatively little has been built isn't well evidenced.

One midrise was built a few years ago at Woodbine/Danforth, another midrise is proposed at the same intersection; one was built at Greenwood and Danforth and there is now a midrise proposal in process just west of that.

I think it's fair to assume Danforth can and will go midrise, given a chance; now that said, there is a case to be made for additional density, strategically.

Though if I had a choice, I'd rather go midrise up/down Pape, Donlands, Coxwell and Woodbine than hirise on Danforth. I think that would produce a better outcome on balance, including better transit service on those roads.

One could add Greenwood and Jones, south of Danforth as well.

The idea of 6-8 storey buildings along Danforth isn't realistic.

There is no way to justify a subway (future Pape Station) that will travel in four directions (including downtown quickly) having buildings of 6 storeys around it. Toronto is not Omaha, intensification and tall buildings are necessary.

Problem is, developer is pushing for 48, neighbours want nothings etc etc. This could drag on long when we need construction and new housing ASAP.

I agree there's no reason to go high-rise with these, we could have enough density with the right volume of buildings and not have an outcropping of towers dotting the skyline from afar.
You mean "afar" from you, I take it. This is another way of expressing good-old Nimbyism, is it not? By the way, welcome to the forum!

Though if I had a choice, I'd rather go midrise up/down Pape, Donlands, Coxwell and Woodbine than hirise on Danforth. I think that would produce a better outcome on balance, including better transit service on those roads.

I've walked up Pape to Cosburn several times since this project was proposed to get a feel for it and it is an unpleasant pedestrian experience that could be addressed with midrise. It's very broken up and the good bits sit as islands instead of as part of a whole streetscape.

Yeah Pape has seen better days. Hopefully, the investment in the Ontario Line will also bring development investment as well.

I won't hold my breath thought because alot of Pape at Danforth on the East side is still zoned "Neighborhoods" and the lots are small and require a massive assembly to create mid-rise. The only mid-rise sites that have been developed on the Danforth are large parcels. The smaller parcels are next to impossible to buy and build on

Yeah Pape has seen better days. Hopefully, the investment in the Ontario Line will also bring development investment as well.

I won't hold my breath thought because alot of Pape at Danforth on the East side is still zoned "Neighborhoods" and the lots are small and require a massive assembly to create mid-rise. The only mid-rise sites that have been developed on the Danforth are large parcels. The smaller parcels are next to impossible to buy and build on

Any large parcel along Danforth has been east and pretty far from Pape. From Pape to Broadview there is no development I can think of over the last decade or so, other than say Minto. The only possible way a developer can assemble land from Eaton to Broadview is if density is increased, and drastically, otherwise it doesn't make financial sense and it just can't happen.

Pape from Danforth to O'connor is not the nicest, but there is an opportunity now to redevelop the area and make something nice. Will this happen? Who knows, but I like to hope.

But logically, Toronto keeps expanding and expanding, and Pape will be a 4 way subway line, just 5 stations from Bay/Bloor. I just don't see any way high rises and redevelopment doesn't happen in the Pape/Danforth area, and I don't think it will be 6 storey buildings.

Any large parcel along Danforth has been east and pretty far from Pape. From Pape to Broadview there is no development I can think of over the last decade or so, other than say Minto. The only possible way a developer can assemble land from Eaton to Broadview is if density is increased, and drastically, otherwise it doesn't make financial sense and it just can't happen.

Pape from Danforth to O'connor is not the nicest, but there is an opportunity now to redevelop the area and make something nice. Will this happen? Who knows, but I like to hope.

But logically, Toronto keeps expanding and expanding, and Pape will be a 4 way subway line, just 5 stations from Bay/Bloor. I just don't see any way high rises and redevelopment doesn't happen in the Pape/Danforth area, and I don't think it will be 6 storey buildings.
Will require a lot of vision from the development industry. Unfortunately, I do not see any vision from the planning department.

The Danforth Avenue Planning Study was a farce in my opinion and was misguided when the terms of reference set by the Councillor only included the Danforth ave properties and did not consider a change in land use of the rear neighbourhood lands and include them into the redevelopment zone.

The east/west Bloor-Danforth subway corridor north of Danforth is a 'natural' break between what should be mixed-use and what should remain neighbourhoods. If those lands were considered we would have a much greater chance of intensifying Danforth

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 3.23.08 PM.png

So this must be due to a MTSA. I think if we are going to go tall along the Danforth (or The Danny as must have been invented by someone wishing to inflict verbal pain,) then here is the right place to do it, on top of two subway lines.
I live in this area, and would be very happy with midrises (up to 10s) along all of the danforth, so long as there is particular attention paid to the retail feel at grade. I know, it is a very long shot. I also applaud the densities near the Main St GO.
The new proposal on the subject site above, looks appropriate to me as well, given the MTSA, but the hood will likely have a conniption.

Doubtless, the hood will freak - at least some vested interests will. But the Danforth has been too sleepy for too long. You'd never know one of the city's original subway lines runs beneath it,

There are very strong "vested interests" (in the neighbourhood and out) that want this to proceed.

any update/summary from last night's meeting?
300+ attendees. So everything from rational to totally bonkers in the chat & verbal Q/A.

1676602214902.png

Fletcher did Fletcher --- blaming Ford and the Ontario Line, etc. with incomplete / incorrect facts...

1676602287717.png

...someone compared it to the "Holocaust", etc.

1676602396709.png

Back