1615239861845.png

1615239944603.png

Lobbying has commenced on this site, as per the lobbyist registry:

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32432​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

500 Sheppard Avenue East

IBI is the lobbyist

The client is Field Gate Homes

Not a fan of the park fronting the intersection. Should be inside the site with the building framing the street.
It could work if they designed the retail to be café/restaurant patios fronting the parkette. But nope, they didn't do that, so this is just more crap urban design from Toronto developers/architects.

Not a fan of the park fronting the intersection. Should be inside the site with the building framing the street.

While I have a similar preference...............

I think it's important to cut the proponent some slack here...........in that the existing corner is considered a City Parkette.

1637485780599.png

1637485829137.png

Now, I have to say, I'd forgive anyone who didn't realize the corner was a City Park, because I didn't realize that either til looking it up.

Let's look at Streetview:

1637485937976.png

1637485995117.png

There is no signage in Streetview, that I can see, telling anyone this is a public park or public land; the fixtures (benches, perimeter retaining barrier) are not City-standard finishes.

Very odd.

Rather than expand this peculiar park; I'd be inclined to seriously consider selling the existing one to the proponent in exchange for equivalent land area area elsewhere.

Barring that, at least putting the expansion money into a more useful off-site acquisition nearby. Yes, I do have one in mind, TY for asking! LOL

1637486333348.png

There is still one house in the middle of this nearby park for reasons I can't quite fathom.

Yup.........this is she, with City Park wrapping it completely:

1637486427433.png

Another good choice can be found at the bottom-left of this image:

1637486503081.png

Glendora Park has Wilket Creek running underneath it, it's also relatively small, with an irregular shape, and has high density development coming at it from the west along Glendora Ave.

It would make immense sense to expand it by purchasing all the homes fronting Anndale Drive and Avondale Avenue this could allow for a sports field if so desired (functional gain); or
could provide enough room to daylight the creek. Either way, a better gain for this area than tacking a small addition onto a Park no one knows exists.

Rather than expand this peculiar park; I'd be inclined to seriously consider selling the existing one to the proponent in exchange for equivalent land area area elsewhere.

Barring that, at least putting the expansion money into a more useful off-site acquisition nearby. Yes, I do have one in mind, TY for asking! LOL

View attachment 364335

There is still one house in the middle of this nearby park for reasons I can't quite fathom.

Yup.........this is she, with City Park wrapping it completely:

View attachment 364336

About that C-shaped MapleHurst Park,...
- over 10 years ago, immediate area was identified by CityStaff as being Parkland deprived
- For MapleHurst Park - 10 bungalow properties are placed on CityPlanning's "HotList" and Developers try to acquire lots for Off-Site Section 42 Parkland Dedication,... resulting in redirection of Section 42 Parkland Dedication money from high-density North York Centre Secondary Plan area to single residential house area,... where local Cllr has stronger support base
- Here, MapleHurst Park formed via "land assembly" of 9 out of 10 "targeted" lots,...
- MapleHurst Park opened 2013 (park improvement & openings are usually in 3rd-4th year of term,... just before election,.... just a coincidence!)

The Korean owner of the 10th and remaining lot (as I recall surname Lee but maybe Kim) refused to sell.
- City loves getting land conveyed from Developers via Section 42 Parkland Dedication or Section 37 Community Benefit
- City hates expropriating land - it's a costly time consuming process that's often only used as a last resort
Here, instead of expropriating land for a park,.... the City built the new MapleHurst Park as a C-shaped park around a single residential house at 290 Maplehurst Ave (that refused to sell),... meanwhile, he has a pretty good deal - well manicured parkland around his property with tree and bush buffers and no nosey neighbours bothering him! If and when the owner of 290 MapleHurst Ave finally decides to sell,... the City - but more likely a Developer on the City's behalf - will buy it at market value plus whatever premium. Nobody else can buy this property since the City essentially placed a "lien" on the property.

With all the high-density redevelopment in the area,... this Ward has a very large cash reserve of Section 42 Parkland Dedication and Section 37 Community Benefit,... so money really isn't an issue,... nor lack of opportunities for Section 42 Parkland Dedication from other redevelopment proposals. It's more timing with when the owner would like to sell.

Note: Lee Lifeson Art Park is another local Willowdale park where a land owner (Dr. M.K.Law of 223 Doris Ave) refuse to sell his/her property so City built park around the lot!

About that C-shaped MapleHurst Park,...
- over 10 years ago, immediate area was identified by CityStaff as being Parkland deprived
- For MapleHurst Park - 10 bungalow properties are placed on CityPlanning's "HotList" and Developers try to acquire lots for Off-Site Section 42 Parkland Dedication,... resulting in redirection of Section 42 Parkland Dedication money from high-density North York Centre Secondary Plan area to single residential house area,... where local Cllr has stronger support base
- Here, MapleHurst Park formed via "land assembly" of 9 out of 10 "targeted" lots,...
- MapleHurst Park opened 2013 (park improvement & openings are usually in 3rd-4th year of term,... just before election,.... just a coincidence!)

The Korean owner of the 10th and remaining lot (as I recall surname Lee but maybe Kim) refused to sell.
- City loves getting land conveyed from Developers via Section 42 Parkland Dedication or Section 37 Community Benefit
- City hates expropriating land - it's a costly time consuming process that's often only used as a last resort
Here, instead of expropriating land for a park,.... the City built the new MapleHurst Park as a C-shaped park around a single residential house at 290 Maplehurst Ave (that refused to sell),... meanwhile, he has a pretty good deal - well manicured parkland around his property with tree and bush buffers and no nosey neighbours bothering him! If and when the owner of 290 MapleHurst Ave finally decides to sell,... the City - but more likely a Developer on the City's behalf - will buy it at market value plus whatever premium. Nobody else can buy this property since the City essentially placed a "lien" on the property.

With all the high-density redevelopment in the area,... this Ward has a very large cash reserve of Section 42 Parkland Dedication and Section 37 Community Benefit,... so money really isn't an issue,... nor lack of opportunities for Section 42 Parkland Dedication from other redevelopment proposals. It's more timing with when the owner would like to sell.

Note: Lee Lifeson Art Park is another local Willowdale park where a land owner (Dr. M.K.Law of 223 Doris Ave) refuse to sell his/her property so City built park around the lot!

I knew you would know!

I always say....."In North York, if you want to know where the bodies that aren't in the cemetery were buried; talk to Sunnyray!" LOL

Thanks for the info, as always!

*Docs are up*

Architect is IBI

Not a one pretty render in sight I'm afraid.

Meh, its IBI, probably sparing us some grief!

View attachment 364236

View attachment 364245
View attachment 364237

View attachment 364238

View attachment 364239
View attachment 364240
View attachment 364241

View attachment 364242
Fieldgate really taking shots at these outdated North York Secondary Plans and their perceived FSI caps. First along Yonge, now blowing this one up also. Keep the height at the intersection and along the 401. The midrise forms along here are working. I hope this rush to 40 storeys everywhere doesn't trickle into the stretches between the various Sheppard Stations.

Fieldgate really taking shots at these outdated North York Secondary Plans and their perceived FSI caps. First along Yonge, now blowing this one up also. Keep the height at the intersection and along the 401. The midrise forms along here are working. I hope this rush to 40 storeys everywhere doesn't trickle into the stretches between the various Sheppard Stations.

Actually, not FieldGate,... but rather the 4.5FSI maximum density limit of the North York Centre Secondary Plan (Yonge corridor between 401 to Drewry/Cummer) was broken by Diamante's 5300 Yonge project for Double Density that was granted at OMB/OLT in February 2020,.... which in turn triggered the current avalanche of Double Density redevelopment applications within the North York Centre. FieldGate Urban - along with First Capital, Capital, Inmino, A1, Ghods, Sorbara, Menkes, KG Group, Oulahen, etc,... are now just along for the Double Density ride!

BTW,
- this FieldGate 500 Sheppard East site is not within the North York Centre Secondary Plan,... it's actually subject to the Sheppard East Subway Corridor Secondary Plan.
- Anyways, FieldGate ain't done yet!

Note: North York Centre Secondary Plan's maximum density of 4.5FSI was actually violated about 12 years ago when OMB granted Menkes Gibson Square almost 6.0FSI density,... since then the North York Centre Secondary Plan allows up to 5.98FSI at prime corner lots in North York Centre with direct subway connections,.... but now Menkes' 4800 Yonge is Double Density at over 12FSI

Actually, not FieldGate,... but rather the 4.5FSI maximum density limit of the North York Centre Secondary Plan (Yonge corridor between 401 to Drewry/Cummer) was broken by Diamante's 5300 Yonge project for Double Density that was granted at OMB/OLT in February 2020,.... which in turn triggered the current avalanche of Double Density redevelopment applications within the North York Centre. FieldGate Urban - along with First Capital, Capital, Inmino, A1, Ghods, Sorbara, Menkes, KG Group, Oulahen, etc,... are now just along for the Double Density ride!

BTW,
- this FieldGate 500 Sheppard East site is not within the North York Centre Secondary Plan,... it's actually subject to the Sheppard East Subway Corridor Secondary Plan.
- Anyways, FieldGate ain't done yet!

Note: North York Centre Secondary Plan's maximum density of 4.5FSI was actually violated about 12 years ago when OMB granted Menkes Gibson Square almost 6.0FSI density,... since then the North York Centre Secondary Plan allows up to 5.98FSI at prime corner lots in North York Centre with direct subway connections,.... but now Menkes' 4800 Yonge is Double Density at over 12FSI
@sunnyraytoronto love your insight - always! I used North York (not North York Centre) Secondary Plans as plural to capture what is happening in the Sheppard East SP as the FSIs have been under attack just like what happened along Yonge Street. Tribute and some updates to Concord's Sheppard frontage leading that charge, and now at Don Mills as well. The city took way too long to adjust their rules and are paying for it..

Just referenced Fieldgate because they are the ones challenging both Sheppard East and NYCC Plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
New rendering updated in the database! The overall building height and total two building storey counts remain the same. However, the total unit count increased from 928 to 1028 units. The total parking count increased from 291 parking spaces to 333 parking spaces.

The rendering is taken from the architectural plan via Site Plan Approval:

PLN - Architectural Plans - DEC 30  2021-2.jpg

New rendering updated in the database! The overall building height and total two building storey counts remain the same. However, the total unit count increased from 928 to 1028 units. The total parking count increased from 291 parking spaces to 333 parking spaces.

The rendering is taken from the architectural plan via Site Plan Approval:

View attachment 377758

Huh? Same Total Residential GFA of 55,000m2; Same Total Non-Residential GFA of 3,000m2; Same 10.12FSI density,... so how did they manage to add another 100 units? Oh,... they FieldGate-d the condo unit size!

Directly west of this site - Sheppard corridor is subject to Sheppard Willowdale Secondary Plan which went under review recently,..... originally 2 large Church lots close to this site were excluded but during Review/Consultation periods, the Churches expressed a strong desire to be included and CityStaff obliged,.... I'm hearing the bigger church lot recently sold to a Developer,..... so, probably expect to see Development Application by year end.
SheppardWillowdaleSecondaryPlan1.png

Back