Toronto 45 Strachan | 131.97m | 39s | BentallGreenOak | Hariri Pontarini

This is moving forward sooner than I expected.. This means that there are now 4 rental buildings & 4 condo buildings under construction at the intersection.

The construction boom on this corner is honestly kind of ridiculous. 8 towers will open in a period of 3 years! Wonder what absorption will be like.

A shoring rig is now on site and working, currently at the north west corner of the site. Sorry - no photo yet.

Mods - perhaps the construction status in the 45 Strachan database entry might be updated from Pre-Construction to Under Construction? (Also the entry for Novus, which is also still indicated as being Pre-Construction)
Here's how the site looked on Friday night, before the arrival of a shoring rig. (Note the curb in place in the foreground for a new road along the north side of the site. It is referred to as 'Metrolinx Service Road' in planning documents. It will provide no access to any of the buildings going up here, and I assume will be gated.)

DSC09941.jpg

Attachments

• DSC09941.jpg
    DSC09941.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 1,803
Took a walk down to check it out.. the rig is sitting on the service road right now, and seems smaller than a typical condo shoring rig, making me believe it's for the service road. The service road seems almost done though, so I'm not sure what it would be needed for.

Also, the 39 east liberty building hasn't started construction yet either. It's being used as a staging yard for the project next door. So "only" 6 towers going up, at least for now.

IMG_1625.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 1,730
I know it's not really close to the actual site, but perhaps related to the King-Liberty pedestrian bridge?

This is moving forward sooner than I expected.. This means that there are now 4 rental buildings & 4 condo buildings under construction at the intersection.

The construction boom on this corner is honestly kind of ridiculous. 8 towers will open in a period of 3 years! Wonder what absorption will be like.
Considering the way Eglinton is like at the moment, I honestly kind of prefer the above.

Short-term pain for long-term gain, as opposed to living in a long-term, non-stop construction site.

Unit mix has been revised to meet City Planning's request of 10 percent three-bedroom units. 424 dwelling units now broken down to 16 (4%) studio units, 179 (42%) one-bedroom units, 186 (44%) two-bedroom units, and 43 (10%) three-bedroom units.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3188419
I'm curious if the three-bedroom units will actually be used as family units.

Considering the way Eglinton is like at the moment, I honestly kind of prefer the above.

Short-term pain for long-term gain, as opposed to living in a long-term, non-stop construction site.

I'm curious if the three-bedroom units will actually be used as family units.

Interesting! Seems long term would be suited for families. Lots of family amenities: http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...on=viewSupportingDocPdf&attachmentRsn=8257629

18 (42%) of the proposed three-bedroom units meet or exceed the 106 square metre ideal unit size established by the draft Guidelines.Guidelines identify that the ideal unit size for a two-bedroom unit is 90 square metres (i.e. 968 square feet) and for a three-bedroom unit is 106 square metres (i.e. 1,140 square feet)

Two and Three-Bedroom Unit Size Breakdown
In our opinion, the revised unit mix and proposed range of unit sizes have appropriate regard for the draft Guidelines and will provide for a range of units that will be able to accommodate a full range tenants, including families with children.

Two bedroom units
Unit Size. Number of Units. Percent (%).
60 - 69 m2. 89. 48%.
70 - 79 m2. 57. 31%
80 - 89 m2. 31. 16%
90m2 or> 9. 5%

Total 186

Unit Size. Number of Units. Percent (%)
85 - 95 m2. 5. 12%
96 - 105 m2. 20. 46%
106 - 115 m2. 13. 30%
116 - 125 m2. 5. 12%

Total 43

Last edited:
These draft Guidelines makes total sense and long overdue.
Three bedrooms in less than 800 sq.ft. is not realistically practical. Families and kids need space and extra bathrooms. Having just one bathroom for 3 bedrooms is a bit ridiculous.
And many developers are making bedrooms that are not even real bedrooms as defined in the Ontario building code.
At KING Toronto an unusually high amount of end users are buying there and many are taking out a bedroom or combining units together to make for larger living spaces, which throws off the 10% minimum 3-bedroom count requirement but makes for spacious units.
Some of these 1- and 2-bedroom units here are much larger than your typical 3-bedroom units, but that is a different market than in this building.

King Toronto is turning out to be an extremely unusual building in the Toronto market. extremely high psf outside of yorkville, high amount of end users, large units, etc.

It's sort of like the Aqua-whatever buildings Tridel is doing in the east bayfront. Large units, high psf for the area. etc. There is a small subset of the market that likes those types of units and buildings in the right locations - and are willing to pay for it - but this location isn't that.

King Toronto is turning out to be an extremely unusual building in the Toronto market. extremely high psf outside of yorkville, high amount of end users, large units, etc.

It's sort of like the Aqua-whatever buildings Tridel is doing in the east bayfront. Large units, high psf for the area. etc. There is a small subset of the market that likes those types of units and buildings in the right locations - and are willing to pay for it - but this location isn't that.

The optimist in me hopes those three projects (the BIG and the two 3XN) will cause more developers to take notice of the fact that they can achieve a very high psf in non-prestige areas if they invest in superior architecture.

These draft Guidelines makes total sense and long overdue.
Three bedrooms in less than 800 sq.ft. is not realistically practical. Families and kids need space and extra bathrooms. Having just one bathroom for 3 bedrooms is a bit ridiculous.
Yes, in theory.

How many young families with small children can afford these 1000+ sq.ft units though?

I foresee them being purchased by investors looking to maximize their rentable bedrooms, and by wealthy retirees looking to downsize from their household after their kids have moved out and are purchasing a 3-bedroom unit for prestige.

True, there is a big demand for large units, but it’s a matter of who can afford it when developers are charging by the square foot. Rentals seems to be the way to go, as there are 3 or 4 towers around this intersection that are purpose-built rental buildings. Just like New York where real estate is extremely expensive, renting is a way of life for most people there.

Back