Toronto 2400 Dundas West | 124.2m | 36s | Fora | Giannone Petricone

BTW, a 1,000 square m public park, if it was roughly square in shape, would measure about 32 m (slightly over 100 feet) on each side, so really more of a smallish parkette than a park, but I suppose it would be better than nothing.

1000m2 of POPS doesn't exactly equate to a public park. Depends on what they put in, how they manage it, etc.....

Giannone Petricone and Fora. Three towers: 36/25/18. Two thumbs up.

dundas 1.png
dundas 2.png

Thanks @carrythezero

I'm quite taken by the very vertical, reddish-brown tower at the south; I'm a bit less sold on the Green/Orange/White combo.

While I like the invested quality of the public realm, I think they've missed the mark.

I think little clumps of shrubs here, there and everywhere between the retail and the road is rather suburban, and actually discourages animation. Its more of a maze-like nuisance than a positive add-on to the space.

I'd prefer the retail in the north building be brought a bit closer to the street, and then provide really good conditions for fewer trees, incorporate thoughtful seating, and maybe a seasonal drinking fountain.

I'd also be inclined to trim back the base of the southerly building to try to get a bit more sunlight into the space between the two buildings.

I don't know how the prospective timing of the two projects lines up, but it would be a little annoying if the FreshCo here and the nearby Loblaws
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...38s-choice-properties-hariri-pontarini.27293/
were to simultaneously disappear for two or three years before their replacements opened.

Choice is promising to keep a grocery store open on their site by phasing the development so that the old one stays open while the new one is being built.

Choice is promising to keep a grocery store open on their site by phasing the development so that the old one stays open while the new one is being built.

Any idea when the construction will begin for property choice site and also what’s the possible time line for this site as well.

Any idea when the construction will begin for property choice site and also what’s the possible time line for this site as well.
It's too early to say for both. Neither have any of the permissions they need yet, and in fact the submission for this one hasn't even been delivered to the City yet. I'd say it's a couple of years for both before you'll see any action on either site… give or take who knows what! Ask again in a year or so!

Wow I am astounded at how thoughtful the developers are being for this true gem of a location. I absolutely love the tall red tower to the south. It is elegant and modern, yet it draws inspiration from the neighbourhood's industrial past. This is exactly what sort of building should be built here. I just wish the developers of the Giraffe building and Loblows site see this and know what they should be aiming for.

The green building is nice as well, but it just feels out of place, both in the neighbourhood and in juxtaposition to the red tower. The geometry of it fits the location wonderfully, and I even think the balcony design could work but the materiality needs to change in my opinion. I appreciate the boldness of architect, but the green and yellow cladding makes it feel cheap and disposable, a contrast to the neighboring tower, which exudes a sense of permanence.

Overall, I like it. Good street presence and significantly better pedestrian access to the UPX from Dundas.

Typically, I'm a fan of reddish-brown towers, but I wonder if the proximity to the similarly toned Crossways might make the strip look a tad banal from afar.

The northern condo could also be a few floors taller.

Wow I am astounded at how thoughtful the developers are being for this true gem of a location. I absolutely love the tall red tower to the south. It is elegant and modern, yet it draws inspiration from the neighbourhood's industrial past. This is exactly what sort of building should be built here. I just wish the developers of the Giraffe building and Loblows site see this and know what they should be aiming for.

The green building is nice as well, but it just feels out of place, both in the neighbourhood and in juxtaposition to the red tower. The geometry of it fits the location wonderfully, and I even think the balcony design could work but the materiality needs to change in my opinion. I appreciate the boldness of architect, but the green and yellow cladding makes it feel cheap and disposable, a contrast to the neighboring tower, which exudes a sense of permanence.
Respectfully, this city is dying for some boldness, while that green and yellow can't possibly look any cheaper than the Toronto standard grey spandrel. Ultimately I don't think that it's the color but the quality of the materials that determines whether a building looks cheap (ie. texture or lack thereof). Also, personally, I would pay a premium to live in a bright colored building, although I do recognize that I'm probably in the minority on this one

carrythezero said:
Immediately north is the abandoned Chairtex/Dearborn Chemical factory, two wonderful loft buildings, and, at the base of the Wallace Ave Foot Bridge, an auto repair shop that closed a few weeks ago after the building was sold.

It would have been nice if the abandoned building to the north was incorporated into this development somehow.

Back