Toronto 2400 Dundas West | 124.2m | 36s | Fora | Giannone Petricone

carrythezero

Member Bio
Reaction score
There may be some movement on the Shoppers/FreshCo site on Dundas West, just north of Bloor. From the latest West Bend NIMBY newsletter:

2400 Dundas W.PNG

A 27s building is under construction immediately to the south at 2376 Dundas West, and the Giraffe site at Bloor/Dundas is seeking 25s. I'd expect that to be the minimum eventually proposed for this site and perhaps much more, given the size.

Immediately north is the abandoned Chairtex/Dearborn Chemical factory, two wonderful loft buildings, and, at the base of the Wallace Ave Foot Bridge, an auto repair shop that closed a few weeks ago after the building was sold.

Oof, I'd missed that this is an OPA 231 challenge. I wholly support the conversion, but know the City hates doing them, even in the most reasonable of circumstances...

Oof, I'd missed that this is an OPA 231 challenge. I wholly support the conversion, but know the City hates doing them, even in the most reasonable of circumstances...
Gotta make sure you preserve those big box stores.. mumble mumble something about heritage and preserving employment..

From the latest West Bend NIMBY newsletter.

I mean if we don't want to lose employment areas, we could build apartment buildings in the low density immediately-next-to-a-major-transit-hub single family home residential streets of the West Bend instead...

I agree though that employment areas are important to maintain, but of course the current use of the site isn't great either. Something with employment maintained on the first few floors of any new development would be a good compromise option, I think.

I mean if we don't want to lose employment areas, we could build apartment buildings in the low density immediately-next-to-a-major-transit-hub single family home residential streets of the West Bend instead...

I agree though that employment areas are important to maintain, but of course the current use of the site isn't great either. Something with employment maintained on the first few floors of any new development would be a good compromise option, I think.

The notion of an "employment area" is quite outmoded in some instances in the city. Essentially, the city tries to force the market to preserve lands that were attractive for industry in Victorian and Edwardian times as "employment lands", where no one is ever going to build a factory again. They then become underutilized and flounder.

The employment uses we've often achieved on these employment lands like big box stores or low-rise office space could just as easily be included in the podium of a condo to better utilize scarce available land in the city for construction. More flexibility is needed.

At the same time, the idea of preserving space for commercial uses where people can earn a living is a great one and absolutely commendable. Thus, if employment lands go condo, there should be a lot of commercial space available in the mixed-use condo to replace what's gone.

Last edited:
I was just in this plaza this morning and thought "wow, this site is ripe for development."

Any new updates from the city or residents' association?

Immediately north is the abandoned Chairtex/Dearborn Chemical factory, two wonderful loft buildings, and, at the base of the Wallace Ave Foot Bridge, an auto repair shop that closed a few weeks ago after the building was sold.
Well, an update about the auto repair shop anyway: It's now a Blondie's Pizza. Just opened a few weeks ago.

Soil sampling rig is on site.
Is pigeon poop considered to be contamination?
Freshco_pigeons.jpg

BTW, a 1,000 square m public park, if it was roughly square in shape, would measure about 32 m (slightly over 100 feet) on each side, so really more of a smallish parkette than a park, but I suppose it would be better than nothing.

Last edited:

Back