Toronto Elektra Condos | 133.5m | 42s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

That sign must stay!

Maybe. The sign is interesting; but if de-contextualized it loses a lot. The Sam's Sign as far as I'm concerned is dead in its current home.

That said, by context, I don't mean saving the facade of this building; this is one I won't miss, that doesn't add anything positive the streetscape.

I do mean how do you place the sign on a new building, with the right material palate (or air) behind it, at the right height, and still have it work?

I'm sure it can be done; not convinced it would be done well; but happy to be proven wrong.

Who didn't see that coming a mile away, given the development explosion right at Jarvis and Dundas?

I'd be in favour of preservation.

The Filmores building was part of a heritage assessment by the TEYCC back in 2016. However, the owner wasn't so keen on it. I couldn't find any info on the results from that assessment though.

The Star article:

If you search the Heritage Register, you get this:

1580421111474.png

1580421147316.png

As I understand it, the Conservation District is what's under appeal; the building itself is listed, but not designated.

For those interested, The Heritage Register has a useful online map.

Here's a Globe and Mail article in 2017, suggesting the current councillor would try to stifle demolition.

The City report on the listing is here:

Attachments

• 1580421134926.png
    1580421134926.png
    3 KB · Views: 413
If you search the Heritage Register, you get this:

View attachment 228280

View attachment 228282

As I understand it, the Conservation District is what's under appeal; the building itself is listed, but not designated.

For those interested, The Heritage Register has a useful online map.

Here's a Globe and Mail article in 2017, suggesting the current councillor would try to stifle demolition.

The City report on the listing is here:

I think you are correct that it is the Garden District HCD as a whole that is under appeal (@ LPAT). See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-99124.pdf

An appeal over a Listing on an individual property (Filmores) would go to the Conservation Review Board and this is not listed on their website as an active case.

Maybe. The sign is interesting; but if de-contextualized it loses a lot. The Sam's Sign as far as I'm concerned is dead in its current home.

That said, by context, I don't mean saving the facade of this building; this is one I won't miss, that doesn't add anything positive the streetscape.

I do mean how do you place the sign on a new building, with the right material palate (or air) behind it, at the right height, and still have it work?
The building isn’t much, but I am a big fan of the rounded corner, with the mid-century(?) neon signs above the entrance and on the roof- it’s a rarity in Toronto, and wonderfully noir (especially with the hyphenated 'to-night').

In this case the sum of the total setting is greater than the individual elements. Hopefully they can replicate or preserve that setting in any new building.

hotel_image.jpg

Interestingly enough, the sign has changed (since the 1970s), but it remains consistent in style (you'd expect them to put up something more 'modern' by then)- I wonder if they rearranged some of the letters!

s0841_fl0027_it0021.jpg

The original building as Wilton Court- not much to speak of, but again, the accumulation of elements has produced something greater than the original.
POSTCARD%252B-%252BTORONTO%252B-%252BWILSON%252BCOURT%252BHOTEL%252B-%252B212%252B%252BDUNDAS%252BSTREET.jpg

Toronto's Heritage Evaluation of the building:

Something I didn't notice- the building incorporates an older Second Empire mansion on site.

Last edited:
I live in the neighbourhood, and I am not excited. It's a SRO hotel, one of the last in the area, especially as Inglewood Arms is going to come down. So that won't help the homelessness problem. I'm also not looking forward to yet another investor-driven grey spandrel and grey mullion condo tower in the neighbourhood, perhaps with a token fauxcade.

I live in the neighbourhood, and I am not excited. It's a SRO hotel, one of the last in the area, especially as Inglewood Arms is going to come down. So that won't help the homelessness problem. I'm also not looking forward to yet another investor-driven grey spandrel and grey mullion condo tower in the neighbourhood, perhaps with a token fauxcade.

I'm in complete agreement.

So why didn't you buy it yourself? Come on now!

LOL

Filmores is a bit of an anti-hero Toronto institution in a lot of ways. Certianly the most famous club of its type in the city.

We've known this was coming for a while now, but still. Strip-clubs are a rapidly dying breed.

Back