874     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.3K     2 

Toronto: 1947 Aerial Photos

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Over the next bit, I will post a few of these. I will, take some time to describe them in due course, but I thought I'd see if people could guess the location first:

I included 2 major roads, one fairly landmark site (partial) and a major topographical feature.

1675620459333.png

I will provide one clue, by suggesting @nfitz should take the first guess. LOL

Is there a way to zoom in so that the photo does not become grainy? I have tried with an aerial view of 1953 and 1956 over the neighbourhood I live in as I was trying to see if a fence would be visible between our property and the next door neighbour (a dispute) but as you zoom in the view is way less clear.

Nfitz was pokey, and you have it.

Curious to hear what gave it away for you.
nfitz was out of town ...

... actually I did see it ... It was too easy ... I've looked at photo carefully wishing they'd left Smalls Creek like that rather than letting them build an apartment building on top of it south of Upper Gerrard.

I hadn't noticed the two turning streetcars at the Upper Gerrard & Coxwell intersection before!

Nfitz was pokey, and you have it.

Curious to hear what gave it away for you.
Maybe a bit the Upper Gerrard/Coxwell configuration, with a touch of what London cabbies call "The Knowledge" (a valuable default in a GPS-dependent era)

Back