Toronto 1901 Eglinton Avenue West | 106.15m | 32s | Clifton Blake | Studio JCI

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New to the AIC is this application for 32s residential building on 1875-1901 Eglinton West, along with 137 Kirknewton Road, and 156 Dynevor Road. (just west of Dufferin, south side)

This is one entire block from Kirknewton to Dyneovor.

Site (Eglinton Frontage) as is: (per Streetview):

1727090772023.png

Covers all of Popeyes to BMO.

Now, the App:

Render:

1727090906847.png

That's the only one, but I'll throw in some of the Axometric views:

1727090972636.png

1727090998711.png

1727091024415.png

1727091056969.png

Site Plan:

1727091138442.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1727091198655.png

Stats:

1727091261320.png

Given that we're render light, I'll throw in some of the description:

1727091327857.png

Parking Ratio; 121 spaces for 422 units is 0.29

Elevator Ratio: 3 elevators for 422 units is one elevator per ~141 units.

The above ratio will not be approved of by @ProjectEnd

As this is significant residential intensification in close proximity to transit (Fairbank Station on the Crosstown); @HousingNowTO may take an interest.

@Paclo

Based on recent area proposals, I believe the height is probably attainable. The massing, however, is quite peculiar in choice and i could foresee issues there.

The podium levels are massed slab style all the way up to the 14th floor which exceeds typical midrise heights, so the floor plate seems excessive relative to that, on those levels.

The tower isn't full slab, indeed, its fully compliant with the Tall Building Guidelines at 750m2, but also has a muscular E-W proportioning, which has the effect of increasing shadow and making it a bit more overbearing than it otherwise would be.

To address this would require acquisition of one or more additional properties to the south, which I believe would be well advised. I would note with probably 3 more properties to the south, two on the east side and one on the west, I think this could be
realistically massed as two towers, with a N-S orientation. * (I haven't measured this out, I need coffee first, so it might be one more property per side)

Parkland funding here would be best directed offsite to grow Fairbank Memorial Park.

Last edited:
So no more avenue plan on eglinton but avenue plan on bloor/danforth. No bikes on eglinton. Bikes on bloor. Got it.

So no more avenue plan on eglinton but avenue plan on bloor/danforth

As per the norm, your posts baffle.

Both streets are have or are getting Avenue Plans which are generally, tentatively superceded by MTSAs around transit stations.

. No bikes on eglinton. Bikes on bloor. Got it.

Cycle Tracks will line Eglinton, except west of the Humber where there is or will be multi-use path.

Last edited:
As per the norm, your posts baffle.

Both streets are have or are getting Avenue Plans which are generally, tentatively superceded by MTSAs around transit stations.

Cycle Tracks will line Eglinton, except west of the Humber where there is or will multi-use path.
The original avenue plan was between 7-14 floors?

Perhaps there is still an avenue plan but it’s so far removed from the first one it’s undistinguishable.

Wow you would think Eg West just got up zoned based on the number of proposals in the last few weeks. In regards to the tower, I thought chunkier massing like what's proposed here was less of an issue on buildings oriented e-w due to shadow casting from the narrower sides of the building?

Height and massing look perfectly fine to my untrained eye, Northern Light's concern about shadows and the "overbearing" slab notwithstanding. Bigger concern to me is at street level where the block is going from 10 retail units down to 2. And the walls are all floor-to-ceiling glass. Not a very pleasant pedestrian experience and tougher for small business owners to afford those larger spaces.

Clifton Blake consider this to be their "Cricket Park" phase 3. Although, I doubt it'll be shovel ready by 2025 since work on their phase 2 across the street has been held back and most certainly won't meet their previously estimated completion of Q2 2025.

cp3.JPG

Bigger concern to me is at street level where the block is going from 10 retail units down to 2. And the walls are all floor-to-ceiling glass. Not a very pleasant pedestrian experience and tougher for small business owners to afford those larger spaces.

Agree on this, the proposal would benefit from smaller, more fine-grained retail.

I thought chunkier massing like what's proposed here was less of an issue on buildings oriented e-w due to shadow casting from the narrower sides of the building?

Wrong directional orientation.

If the slab runs E-W, then it blocks all sun from the south, which is the primary direction from which we get sunlight in Toronto.

So N-S running slabs are the more acceptable.

Height and massing look perfectly fine to my untrained eye, Northern Light's concern about shadows and the "overbearing" slab notwithstanding. Bigger concern to me is at street level where the block is going from 10 retail units down to 2. And the walls are all floor-to-ceiling glass. Not a very pleasant pedestrian experience and tougher for small business owners to afford those larger spaces.
Not sure if the city has the tools to enforce micro-retail at ground level on that stretch but they should be pushing for that. Small businesses are a vital part of the Eglinton West area and pushing them out as the area gets redeveloped would be a mistake.

Wrong directional orientation.

If the slab runs E-W, then it blocks all sun from the south, which is the primary direction from which we get sunlight in Toronto.

So N-S running slabs are the more acceptable.
ah thanks for explaining, I always forget the grid is not actually oriented to true north

Back