Toronto 1728 Bloor West | 67.6m | 19s | Fairway | Gabriel Fain Architects

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Lobbyist Registry suggests that someone is kicking the tires on developing this tiny parcel containing a mini-Tims.

1665087647587.png

The specified address does not include the adjacent 9-storey seniors residence.

This is just east of High Park and you can see Keele Stn in the background.

1665087727430.png

The footprint is ~ 5000ft2

In general not a large site; the adjacent building does, however, feature a blank wall allowing for something to be built here, presumably in a similar height range of 7-9 storeys.

Bit tight.

As can be seen, a portion of the existing parking is actually on the public ROW.

The Lobbyist Registry suggests that someone is kicking the tires on developing this tiny parcel containing a mini-Tims.

View attachment 431125

The specified address does not include the adjacent 9-storey seniors residence.

This is just east of High Park and you can see Keele Stn in the background.

View attachment 431126

The footprint is ~ 5000ft2

In general not a large site; the adjacent building does, however, feature a blank wall allowing for something to be built here, presumably in a similar height range of 7-9 storeys.

Bit tight.

As can be seen, a portion of the existing parking is actually on the public ROW.

Well; as I promised............but more than twice the height, at least in the initial ask. Details to follow in the next post below.

Application is in, for a 19s, 99 unit building.

1679471554545.png

1679471623800.png

1679471706753.png

1679471843519.png

1679471806236.png

1679471893248.png

1679471926870.png

1679471972006.png

Comments: Fain continues to deliver. A very attractive offer here. Height is not intrinsically excessive, but does lack an immediate precedent on this stretch of Bloor. Argument will be that this is PMTSA.

The parking here seems questionable to me; not so much because the ratio is higher than we would typically like to see, but because of the extra cost on such a small footprint, and because I do wonder about running into hydrological issues, there are heavy underground flows nearby.

Otherwise, good effort here. Ambitious too, wonder if there's an LDA in place. Hmmm, here's the separation distance exception argument:

As discussed in the sections of this report, the Proposed Development will not
provide any windows on the north and east lot lines at zero lot line, does not result in adverse shadow,
wind or privacy impacts and it will not limit the redevelopment or infill development of 1700 Bloor Street
West from developing in a similar manner.

Much better than I was expecting. There should be no issue about the height at all considering it's right next to a frigging subway station, despite lack of precedent nearby. If anything, the concern should be the reverse - the existing buildings in the neighbourhood are severely under-built.

Application is in, for a 19s, 99 unit building.

View attachment 463305

View attachment 463306

View attachment 463307
View attachment 463309

View attachment 463308
View attachment 463310
View attachment 463311

View attachment 463312

Comments: Fain continues to deliver. A very attractive offer here. Height is not intrinsically excessive, but does lack an immediate precedent on this stretch of Bloor. Argument will be that this is PMTSA.

The parking here seems questionable to me; not so much because the ratio is higher than we would typically like to see, but because of the extra cost on such a small footprint, and because I do wonder about running into hydrological issues, there are heavy underground flows nearby.

Otherwise, good effort here. Ambitious too, wonder if there's an LDA in place. Hmmm, here's the separation distance exception argument:

As discussed in the sections of this report, the Proposed Development will not
provide any windows on the north and east lot lines at zero lot line, does not result in adverse shadow,
wind or privacy impacts and it will not limit the redevelopment or infill development of 1700 Bloor Street
West from developing in a similar manner.

Inspired by 920 Yonge St?

920-Yonge-St-Toronto-ON-Building-Photo-2-LargeHighDefinition.jpg

920-Yonge-St-Toronto-ON-Primary-Photo-1-LargeHighDefinition.jpg

Much better than I was expecting. There should be no issue about the height at all considering it's right next to a frigging subway station, despite lack of precedent nearby. If anything, the concern should be the reverse - the existing buildings in the neighbourhood are severely under-built.
I'd say there's plenty of precedent not far to the east and west, just not in the immediate vicinity.

On a semi-related note, I think it would be a great idea to bring Keele station up to current design standards. Modernized transit stations can completely transform a neighbourhood, specifically above-ground ones such as Keele.

I am sure there will be an issue of height with the neighbours and the amount of shade this project will create. Let's not kid ourselves. Expect the final built to be 14-16, I think. More in line with the condo a couple of doors away and maybe a floor or two more. I would be surprised if it is approved as is.

Frankly I think the proposal is designed intentionally this high so they can actually get something close to it, rather than proposing exactly the height they want. Something like 16 or less. Just about everything in this ward is proposed this way. X height proposed = X-2 or X-4 height built. And I think the developers expect this. If they proposed 14, then they would get 12. Unless you propose 10 or less, it will not sail through the process. It's a dense neighbourhood already.

For a precedent, look at the ridiculous Giraffe project near Dundas. It finally died due to opposition. The replacement for that site is much smaller. And much better IMO.

The spot for a tall tower (>20 floors) would be the plaza and the gas station. This spot should be a step down from that. And expect a push to build a tower on the south-east corner. I am sure there are developers sniffing around already.

Back