Toronto 148 Avenue Road | 112.97m | 35s | Tribute | Chris Dikeakos

It's back at TPB

Toronto Preservation Board consideration on May 10, 2022
(Deferred from December 3, 2021 - 2021.PB29.4)
PB34.2
ACTION​
Ward: 11​
148 and 156-158 Avenue Road and 224 Davenport Road - Notice of Intention to Designate a Property under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act

See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2022.PB34.2

The Toronto Preservation Board voted to recommend Toronto city council should give 148, 156–158 Avenue Rd. and 224 Davenport Rd. heritage designation, which would allow council to refuse the development application for a 35-storey mixed-use building if the heritage aspects couldn’t be maintained.

-------
Local councillor Mike Layton said that while they are important properties to acknowledge, there is a large community push for the sidewalks at the intersection to be widened as they currently pose a safety hazard at their width of 2.1 meters. If the buildings were to be maintained through a heritage designation, that would mean the sidewalks couldn’t be widened for decades.

“We would be forever giving up the likelihood of wider sidewalks in the current road arrangement,” Layton said.

He said losing the buildings to development, which are on the border of the Annex and Yorkville, would not be a huge loss for the area as there are others from the same time period nearby that have been protected.

ABC Residents Association president Ian Carmichael said that the stretch of sidewalk is dangerous and the association is prepared to concede the heritage buildings to widen it.

“You can’t walk with a stroller and pass someone on that section of the road,” he said. “The sidewalks are a big concern for us.”

Layton said the council consideration will likely be deferred and the developer has agreed to continue to discuss the application and not seek to demolish the buildings yet.

The Avenue Road side of the proposal can achieve the desire sidewalk width through the proposal to narrow Avenue Road by 1 lane each way.

Assuming you gave 2.2M to a new Cycle Track; that would provide 1M for a sidewalk widening.

Davenport currently supports 3 lanes wb at this intersection when the parking lane is considered. That too can be remedied in the same fashion.

I don't think it's the end of the world if this heritage is lost; but if the alternative is the current proposal at-grade, let's keep the heritage.

If they modify their at-grade presentation to better reflect the best attributes of the heritage, including wrap-around brick at the corner and on the Avenue side, then I'm fine w/that.

Attachments

• backgroundfile-226991.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
New renderings are updated it. Rendering taken from the architectural plan via Rezoning. Total height changed from 114.77m to 112.97m. the total unit changed from 355 units to 333 units. Finally, the total parking space was reduced from 204 parking to 176 parking.

PLN - Architectural Plans - FEB 21  2023-33.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - FEB 21  2023-34.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - FEB 21  2023-35.jpg

Additional info from the Cover Letter indicates that this development is purchasing 207 and 209 Avenue Road as off-site parkland dedication, which will add to 211, already acquired by another developer (1140 Yonge) for the same purpose.

This is great, as these will all serve to be part of the Ramsden Park expansion and is in line with TO Core Parks vision.

All three of these will come down and add to the park:

1679337057459.png

Another item from the Cover Letter of interest:

1679337392948.png

That's a $10,000+ tree

Now lets see the grade-level changes:

Old:

1679337508233.png

New:

1679337585737.png

This building still has a goofy relationship to the corner that makes no sense to me.

Subbing the brown brick out for grey precast is not really an advancement either, though maybe it's marginally more coherent......

Additional info from the Cover Letter indicates that this development is purchasing 207 and 209 Avenue Road as off-site parkland dedication, which will add to 211, already acquired by another developer (1140 Yonge) for the same purpose.

This is great, as these will all serve to be part of the Ramsden Park expansion and is in line with TO Core Parks vision.

All three of these will come down and add to the park:

View attachment 462715
Don't understand the appeal of this.

I think the park is better off being sheltered by buildings from the nasty roaring traffic on Avenue Road.

I get that 207-211 are nothing special but I feel like it'd be better off redeveloped , with a square/cafe etc and retail that faced the park.

However, the rear facade of the plastic surgery clinic enhances the park, so that better not be demolished.

Another item from the Cover Letter of interest:

View attachment 462717

That's a $10,000+ tree

Now lets see the grade-level changes:

Old:

View attachment 462718

New:

View attachment 462720

This building still has a goofy relationship to the corner that makes no sense to me.

Subbing the brown brick out for grey precast is not really an advancement either, though maybe it's marginally more coherent......
Total el cheapo sh!t show

Glorified student dormitory architecture on a showcase street.

Total el cheapo sh!t show

Glorified student dormitory architecture on a showcase street.

Not the exact way I would put it..........

But not a take I would disagree with either...............

It is, charitably, disappointing.

Back