Toronto 1109 Bathurst Street | 31.9m | 8s | Talus Capital | Paul Hastings Architect

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Pretty substantial size for a storage facility at 9 storeys. Hope they go with a decent enough design, as it'll be quite visible in the area:

1109 BATHURST ST
Ward 11 - Tor & E.York District

Proposal for a 9-storey non-residential buidling containing commercial self-storage uses. A total of 13, 567 square metres of non-residential floor area is proposed.

Currently on site:

1593101995826.png

Last edited:
I recognize that the proximity to the rail corridor limits residential development potential, but this seems an awfully un-urban use of this space. The entire Dupont corridor should be urbanizing (as much of it already is), not turning into stuff that should exist in far less desirable areas. This is 700m from a subway station on one of the two subway lines in this stupid city.

I think residential would have been attainable here if a developer was able to assemble a lot parallel to the dimensions of Tridel's Bianca. Which in this case would mean the rest of the block fronting Dupont.

I recognize that the proximity to the rail corridor limits residential development potential, but this seems an awfully un-urban use of this space. The entire Dupont corridor should be urbanizing (as much of it already is), not turning into stuff that should exist in far less desirable areas. This is 700m from a subway station on one of the two subway lines in this stupid city.
I for one am glad we require new homes to locate themselves in a different time zone than rail corridors. There is no precedent anywhere on earth where rail, heavy or otherwise, travels close to residential uses. Good stuff North America!

I for one am glad we require new homes to locate themselves in a different time zone than rail corridors. There is no precedent anywhere on earth where rail, heavy or otherwise, travels close to residential uses. Good stuff North America!

A relatedly painful irony is that, not 4km from this site, these trains travel literally directly past a *nuclear reactor fuel production facility.*

Anywho, apropos of nothing, here’s a fun pic I took in Tokyo summer before last (remember when we could go places?!):

A9FB3CF4-4EBF-489F-837E-67A7322426F2.jpeg

Trans-Europe Express...

...oh wait, you said Tokyo. NM. :(

A relatedly painful irony is that, not 4km from this site, these trains travel literally directly past a *nuclear reactor fuel production facility.*

Anywho, apropos of nothing, here’s a fun pic I took in Tokyo summer before last (remember when we could go places?!):
Oh man, I'm so sorry for your loss @ADRM. Being that close to a train, I'm sure you're dead now and posting this from beyond the grave!

Also, what are all those wires above the train? *Real* trains run on dinosaur bones!

Last edited:
This is great have absolutely no issues with this even though storage facilities can sometimes be really street-killing (like the bunker near here on Dupont), but this is a legitimately nice building and I could even see it possibly being adapted for office or even loft use in the future (unlike the terrible bunker on Dupont). If storage buildings can be done well like this, having them next to a dinosaur-bone burning chemical-transporting freight line makes a lot of sense. And storage is important to some degree to have everywhere throughout the city, especially as people live in smaller spaces and less often have cars. We definitely should urbanize up to and around the rail lines, but using this space for industrial or other uses like this also does still make sense as part of the mix, especially when done so well.

This could be worse. But it is bad, and encapsulates something I see wrong with a lot of new buildings. On the large scale, lots of detail (four different façade treatments, two of them busy). But on the pedestrian scale, it’s boring.

This building half a block away has the opposite formula. It’s good!

B88AFC48-1229-4230-9019-F939B712974D.jpeg

Talus Capital Corp. a Toronto firm, wants to erect a nine-storey self-storage facility on a sliver of land south of the rail corridor, with access off Bathurst Street. The building will have 1,290 units, about two-thirds of which will be less than 75 square feet. The development application, which requires a zoning amendment, is due to go to council later this spring.

The property, currently a self-serve car wash with a parking lot that opens onto Albany Avenue, sits behind a row of two-storey buildings with apartments and retail spaces, including the iconic Vesta diner. One of Tridel’s newest tapered mid-rises, Bianca, is next door, with several other such projects planned or going up elsewhere along Dupont between Spadina and Ossington.

The size of the proposed facility quickly drew the attention of residents’ groups both north and south of the tracks. Some homeowners to the north are definitely not pleased about the project, and in particular the sight of its blank rear wall protruding over the rail corridor.

Robert Levy, who heads the Casa Loma Residents Association, says the proposal is too large and too high, and may produce traffic back-ups on Bathurst. “How can this even work?” he asks, predicting that the building’s size will make it impossible to redevelop the Dupont-facing side of that block with a mid-rise apartment building, as the 2014 Dupont regeneration study envisioned. “Part of this process is the developer trying to steamroller this application.”

However, the Annex Residents Association (ARA), whose members live immediately to the south, has been far less exercised about the prospect of a new self-storage neighbour. The ARA’s planning committee pushed Talus to tweak its design to include a façade that looks more like a brick warehouse, as well as stepped back massing similar to what’s typical for mid-rises.

The ARA also commissioned an architect to see if the Dupont side would, indeed, be sterilized, as the residents’ groups north of the tracks contend, and concluded the answer is no. Mike Layton, the local councillor, says the whole block is zoned for nine storeys anyways, and adds, “It’s probably got some value to the neighborhood as a self-storage.”

Yet, Peter Obradovich, Talus’ vice-president of acquisitions and development, points out that 25 per cent to 30 per cent of the units are likely to be leased for warehouse space for small or virtual businesses operating in the downtown. The trend towards the use of self-storage facilities for these commercial purpose is wide-spread, and there are some local projects, including one downtown, where as many as three-quarters of the tenants are companies or non-profits.

He says the units are popular with photographers, who use them for their equipment, and pharmaceutical company sales reps, who rent the lockers to store samples. Some self-storage facilities also offer receiving services. Mr. Layton adds that Talus has promised to include on-site bike parking and the use of a cargo vehicle for tenants.

Mr. Levy argues that the City and the developer have under-estimated the traffic that will be generated by commercial tenants. “We know what’s happening with the pressures of e-commerce,” he says. “The owner told me himself that this will create employment because it’s going to have businesses going in and out of this thing, obviously by cars or trucks.”

Given that the site has been an active car wash for decades, it’s unlikely there will be a significant change. Yet the broader planning question of the evolving role of self-storage warehouse in a downtown neighbourhood is certainly worth exploring.

The City believes Toronto’s 66 self-storage facilities employ just 200 people, or three for each location. But Mr. Obradovich notes that if 25 per cent to 30 per cent of the units are rented for commercial purposes, that means the proposed Bathurst/Dupont project alone will support about 300 to 400 small businesses – hardly an insignificant number in terms of local employment.

ROWMRKFKT5CSVAVWM2HRYZN4QQ.jpeg

Back