Toronto 11 Macey | 11.3m | 3s | CreateTO | Montgomery Sisam

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Toronto identifies site locations for its modular supportive housing initiative

Jun 2 2020

The City of Toronto has identified site locations for its Modular Housing Initiative.

The program is on track to provide “stable, affordable, high quality housing support and services,” to 100 individuals experiencing homelessness by the fall of 2020, according to the City of Toronto.

Site identification is a key component of the expedited delivery. Evaluations have been made by City and CreateTO on City-owned land across Toronto. They have been using criteria that included local demand for affordable housing, development potential of the site, local infrastructure, access to public transit, access to health and other community services. The criteria also includes zoning and other bylaw considerations.

This plan comes after a month of receiving Council approval. The two following sites are being recommended for Phase 1 of the Modular Housing Initiative:

• 150 Harrison Street (Ward 9): 44 bachelor apartments. This is
    the former site of the 14 Division Police Station.
  • 11 Macey Avenue (Ward 20): 56 bachelor apartments. Near
    Victoria Park and Danforth.
The first phase was initially announced by Mayor John Tory on April 29. He also then mentioned that the new modular homes were expected to be ready for occupancy by September 2020.

1591134231364.png

1591134249109.png

1591134259074.png

I support the housing; my only issue here is this is displacing an informal neighbourhood greenspace, where the City has mowed the lawn for 50+ years; meanwhile long promised new/expanded parks never seem to arrive.

I wouldn't oppose the project to leverage that............but I do wish the City would get around to fulfilling its obligations here, especially as it contracts other open space.

11 MACEY AVE
Ward 20 - Scarborough District

Development Applications

View attachment 249851

As I noted above, this land serves informally as community park/play space.

I still support this as housing, but do wish they would finish expanded and building out the nearby park which (Madelaine) which is small disjointed. That Park was supposed to consume the entire block.

Instead it still has a smattering of houses that the park winds between and around, precluding any wide-open playspace.

Attachments

• 1591722822818.png
    1591722822818.png
    647.8 KB · Views: 306
Community engagement session on plans for modular affordable housing units in southwest Scarborough set for June 16

The first of three public engagement sessions on plans to build modular affordable housing units in southwest Scarborough is set for the evening of Tuesday, June 16.

The City of Toronto is proposing a 56-unit Modular Housing Initiative building for land it owns at 11 Macey Ave., northeast of Victoria Park and Danforth avenues.

The plot belongs to the city and will be used as Phase I of the initiative that aims to provide stable, affordable and high-quality housing and support services to individuals experiencing homelessness by fall of 2020. The program is part of the city’s HousingTO 2020-2030 Action Plan.

Back