Toronto The Dawes | 126.48m | 38s | Marlin Spring | Arcadis

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Zoning By-Law Amendment to permit two residential towers including 26-storeys (84.0 metres excluding mechanical penthouse) and 33-storeys (104.54 metres excluding mechanical penthouse) atop a shared 7 storey mixed-use podium (25.7 metres) containing residential, commercial/office, retail, and day care uses.
Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
��
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Rezoning​
19 124138 STE 19 OZ​
Mar 11, 2019​
Application Received​

The application portal only lists the building as 10 Dawes - but given they have two towers they must have a few more parcels assembled at least. Interesting to see what this looks like.

What's particularly weird is that it's that Guest Avenue borders the larger site (including 10A and 12 Dawes) to the north. I'm not sure how they're getting two towers in with the required separations...

A screen shot from TO Maps shows the lots in the area.

Developer is Trolleybus, architect is IBI:

I see this building from the GO Train every day and I've always found it curious. It looks like something you'd see in a rural Ontario ghost town.
It's an old grain elevator, which I never thought I'd see in this part of the city. The building right beside it (10A Dawes Rd) is an old flour mill.

Developer is Trolleybus, architect is IBI:
View attachment 176503

View attachment 176504

It's an old grain elevator, which I never thought I'd see in this part of the city. The building right beside it (10A Dawes Rd) is an old flour mill.
It also appears that they are realigning Guest Avenue to consolidated the site on a single block and connect Guest Avenue to the stub of Dawes Road.

The community is going to love this. The only fault is that they didn't go even higher.

I personally think it's a little dense but, that's par for the course in Toronto. It's a practical commuter location for it.

Tower heights are a little aggressive - but nothing mind blowing to me. The podium height should be much lower though - given the size of the roads, this should probably have more like a 4 storey podium to soften the impact of the towers on the built form. The 11.37 FSI is also nuts for this location. Get it down to more of the 8 range and it will be looking a lot better.

Preserving one heritage building is great.........

I realize this the render is likely massing only and not to be taken seriously, but with IBI involved I'd be worried there's some validity to that, and let's be honest, it's as ugly as sin.

Retaining the one heritage bldg w/no context or compliment is rather suspect.

However.......I'm fine w/the height/density subject to a sensible site plan and appropriate massing/streetwall (including appearance).

They propose to convey the heritage building to the City...........not sure about that; the City has a hard enough time doing right by the heritage it owns now.

They are doing this to fulfill their parks requirement for the site..........

The City is contemplating park on adjacent lands as per the Main Street planning study, though there is no reason to believe it would be delivered contemporaneously to occupancy at this site.

Were that issue resolvable, such that it really wouldn't make sense to require on-site parks, I'd rather see cash-in-lieu go to strategic expansion of nearby parks like Coleman, Maryland or Dentonia.

On transportation, I'd like to see Bikeshare incorporated on site, A commitment to on-site carshare and consideration of cash towards a new eastern entrance for Main Station adjacent to Coleman Park.

The retention of one building is keeping the density from ballooning even higher. It's of zero consequence to the developer. Conveying the building to the city (assuming) in its as is condition is the icing on the cake.

The retention of one building is keeping the density from ballooning even higher. It's of zero consequence to the developer. Conveying the building to the city (assuming) in its as is condition is the icing on the cake.

According to my information, the developer has not yet formally approached the City about whether it is interested in assuming ownership of the building.

That seems remarkable to me.....if true.

Back