460     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 633     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 507     0 

Token Debacle

M

MarcG

I have become very annoyed by the TTC. Have you ?

The latest reason behind my annoyance is the disruption that TTC riders have been forced to endure because of a pending fare hike. It seems to me that the hoarding of tokens must happen in response to the policy of not selling more than 10 at a time, as much as there are people looking to save 10 cents per ride months ahead of time.

I have seen huge line-ups and it strikes me that the TTC might even be losing money on this policy.

I want to start a customer service revolution to force the TTC to be more responsive to people, and this token debacle is the spark to the fuse.

Who's with me ? Let us unite !

Do you know what really grinds my gears? People who complain about this. The TTC is putting forward a fare hike, which is in response to insufficient revenue. Hoarding of tokens pretty much is ripping the system off when it needs money most. Yet, you still can hoard tokens, if you so choose, well in advance (as suggested), but that's fine, because there is sufficient token supply for those who need it regularly. When a fare hike comes around and EVERYONE starts hoarding them, you're essentially taking away the supply that can't be restocked fast enough for regular, non-hoarding users.

The TTC could easily just STOP token sales altogether before a fare increase to stem a loss of revenue in the future. But they can't do that as some people depend on tokens to get through Automatic Entrances.

99% of transit properties do not use tokens, and thus in 99% of transit properties, you can't hoard.

Finally, enjoying hoarding while you can. Enter the SmartCard. Tokens will be a thing of the past, like they are in NYC, once Presto is in place GTA wide.

By the time we get some kind of card or electronic device, every other city in the world will have moved on to retinal scans or thumb prints.

By the time we get some kind of card or electronic device, every other city in the world will have moved on to retinal scans or thumb prints.

Sorry, I read retinal, but in my mind saw anal.......phew! No need for that at all....

The tokens are antiquated and have no place in a modern transit system(hang on the TTC isn't modern...).....

Seriously, why do we have the tokens? It always seemed strange to exchange money for another bit of metal that I then give to an attendant or stick in a machine, why not have tickets like the Tube or the Metro, both of which seem to work fine.

Why do we have tokens ? Because they compliment our other up-to-date technology:

the guy sitting on a stool.

The TTC needs a major shakeup. It's our fault if we accept things as they are.

I'd feel worse for the TTC if they weren't fighting the smart card kicking and screaming. They didn't come up with the idea, after all, so it must be bad.

no wonder costs are so high, how many ticket collectors plus guys sitting on a chair do we have???

I counted 6 at Dundas Station once... :rolleyes:

Tim Hortons just released its version of the Smart Card...

timcard-card-en.jpg

Since everybody in Toronto will be getting one of these sooner or later, maybe the TTC should use it for their smart card technology. I'm serious!

Tim Hortons just released its version of the Smart Card...

timcard-card-en.jpg

Since everybody in Toronto will be getting one of these sooner or later, maybe the TTC should use it for their smart card technology. I'm serious!

That would definitely be the kind of system that would get the attention of other cities. Now I'm hoping that no other major city has a similar system. Realizing this, the TTC would implement it surely...

Back