News   Apr 19, 2024
 800     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

The popularity of Jamaican patties in Toronto

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
That's one thing that stands out to me, thinking about it, from growing up in Toronto. After living in the US, I haven't seen an American city where they are quite so popular. In many places, people don't even know what I'm talking about when I say a "patty".

They seemed to be a popular snack everywhere in the subway stations and corner shops growing up, especially around many places in Scarborough. My high school sold them at the cafeteria. Does anything remember how or when they started becoming so popular?

Haven't had one in a while, but when I do, it reminds me of home.

Jamaican patties have always been popular for as long as I can remember. I used to walk over to Kensington and pick up a box from Patty King regularly.

That's one thing that stands out to me, thinking about it, from growing up in Toronto. After living in the US, I haven't seen an American city where they are quite so popular. In many places, people don't even know what I'm talking about when I say a "patty".

They seemed to be a popular snack everywhere in the subway stations and corner shops growing up, especially around many places in Scarborough. My high school sold them at the cafeteria. Does anything remember how or when they started becoming so popular?

Haven't had one in a while, but when I do, it reminds me of home.

I would be particularly interested how they worked their way into the subway system as the sole hot and ready to eat food item. Perhaps they were the cheapest low mess item available in mass quantities. I assume they are frozen when they go in at the start of the day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has wondered about this. I can't say they've been as ubiquitous in any of the other cities I've visited. Maybe I've never bothered looking.

I would be particularly interested how they worked their way into the subway system as the sole hot and ready to eat food item. Perhaps they were the cheapest low mess item available in mass quantities. I assume they are frozen when they go in at the start of the day.

Yup, and it's something with a very wide popularity that cuts across cultural lines. Got to say the ones at Islington is the best.

AoD

I suggest trying Allwyn's on Underhill Dr (Donwood Plaza; formerly at Parkwoods Plaza). Their jerk chicken sandwiches are incredible.

The absolute best. No argument there.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has wondered about this. I can't say they've been as ubiquitous in any of the other cities I've visited. Maybe I've never bothered looking.

I don't think I've ever even seen them in places with relatively large Jamaican/West Indian populations, such as London or NYC. My guess is that they started to take off here in the '80s, maybe earlier.

I don't think I've ever even seen them in places with relatively large Jamaican/West Indian populations, such as London or NYC. My guess is that they started to take off here in the '80s, maybe earlier.

It seems like in those cities, you can find them if you go looking in Jamaican restaurants or shops, but Toronto really stands out in how you can find them, even without trying to do so, they are just sold everywhere in subway stations where you'd also find sandwiches or donuts. Perhaps this is just one little way we are more like a melting pot :D (going back to the topic of my other thread)! I didn't even known until I was an adult that they were Jamaican (in the same way that people don't explicitly associate say, hot dogs with German-American cuisine), and when I left Toronto, I just associated them with home when I saw them.

Back