News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 855     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

The laughing cow at Vietnamese restaurants?

kettal

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
Why does every Vietnamese restaurant in Toronto have the same laughing cow picture in their signs? What is the story behind that, and why have they not been sued by the cheese company?

I think it's because it's a different product... they aren't selling cheese... I think the cow comes from their beef representation.. pho is beef noodles...

And anyway, it wouldn't matter what they're selling, if they're using a trademarked image. You can't use a picture of Ronald McDonald to advertise for your car dealership. I too have wondered why you see the cows at vietnamese restaurants. Maybe it's not trademarked (which would surprise me), or maybe they have some sort of license to use it? Still seems weird.

That red cow is on Vietnamese restaurants all over North America and possibly further, but I've never seen one anywhere else I've traveled.
I don't think they all just decided to adopt it because it was cute, copyright be damned. Also, the images are not identical to La Vache Qui Rit
I don't know the specifics to the Vietnamese, but a red cow has religious significance in Judaism. It may be a similar situation here.
A cursory check on the internet of Vietnamese cultural information shows that the country is comprised of many religious and cultural groups, including Hindus who hold cows as sacred.
Of course, they serve beef in these restaurants, which doesn't really match with that, so who knows!

Last edited:
Vietnam was colonized by the French from the late 1800's through to WWII. As always happens, this left a mark on the food culture of Vietnam to this day. Some examples of that are coffee (leading to the unique "Vietnamese coffee" experience with the drip maker, sweetened condensed milk and fondness for Cafe Du Monde brand, itself French-influenced but not directly French), baguettes (and hence the banh mi sandwiches), and cheese. The Vache Qui Rit brand has been around since the 1920's and has huge recognition in France. It was likely brought to Vietnam for the expats living there, and then became associated with the population as a whole.

This article points out that the Laughing Cow logo is commonly seen on food carts in Vietnam, so this is not only a North American or Canadian phenomenon: http://fooddestination.blogspot.com/2009/08/destination-vietnam-3-banh-mi.html

Also of note, Eagle Brand condensed milk, of the type often used in Vietnamese coffee, also has a similar-looking cow in its logo. http://www.eaglebrand.com/

Last edited:
althought this isn't my question, thanks for the clarification and input... but it still doesn't quite answer the original question about the red cow... anyone else?

Also of note, Eagle Brand condensed milk, of the type often used in Vietnamese coffee, also has a similar-looking cow in its logo. http://www.eaglebrand.com/

Vietnamese don't use that brand though. They use Longevity Brand (Sua Ong Tho). It has a picture of an old man.

I just think it is because of the cheese, Laughing Cow. It is popular among Viet people.

I don't see many Laughing Cow logo on Viet restaurants anyways...

The Pho Dau Bo chain uses the logo (or something similar to it), but "Dau Bo" translates to "Cow's Head". So it's in the name in that case. I don't think there is significance to the image, otherwise. It is just a recognizable image to Viet people. That's it.

Cows are not sacred in Vietnam, btw. Most Vietnamese people are Bhuddist.

I believe it has something to do with the history of their country that's why. It is the logo that has really something to say with that.Iit is one of their best decision ever.

Last edited:
The cow is symbolic in many religions as an invocation of Blessings from the main God. In most Asian cultures, red is a highly auspicious colour inviting protection and declaring Faith. Laughter/Happiness is considered a financially lucky trait in harmony with prosperity and success.

Back