News   Apr 24, 2024
 637     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 833     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 550     0 

The beauty of Scarborough in summer

If I didn't know any better I would say those are pics of Mississauga, in the bloor/Dixie area, or maybe the valleys. Suburbs are all the same I guess.

My dad does not listen to the water ban anyway even if there was one. He does not believe in water bans, because he says the government leaders are the big wasters and are probably watering their lawns and have the AC's cranked up high.

That's one thing you can lecture your dad on for "not caring less" about the city.

GB

electricity is used to pump lake water into reservoirs all over the city. during the big blackout, those reservoirs dropped down to 40% capacity. any longer and we would have run out of water.

NYC has one of the best water systems in the world. the whole system is gravity fed and only uses electricity on 5% of the system.

instead of getting our drinking water from lake ontario, we should have constructed a water tunnel from a lake at a higher elevation than toronto. i dunno, maybe lake simcoe? this would save electricity.

I think that would break the rules of Great Lakes water management. I think all new projects are supposed to return water taken from the Great Lakes water basin to the same point or higher. Taking water from Lake Simcoe would mandate the sewage treatment plants for the city emptying into Lake Simcoe based on what I have been told.

maybe taking the water from a bigger source such as lake huron or georgian bay?

i don't see the problem as the great lakes drain into the atlantic ocean anyway. the water is replaced when it rains. water from those higer lakes ends up in lake ontario anyway.

i guess it would be a problem if everybody was doing it.

didn't a water spring bust through in high park? the water was seeping through the ground from lake huron or something. i think they capped it with concrete.

My dad does not listen to the water ban anyway even if there was one. He does not believe in water bans, because he says the government leaders are the big wasters and are probably watering their lawns and have the AC's cranked up high. So why should we conserve. He does have a point.

Do you ever debate the point with him since you were running to become one of those government leaders?

^ Maybe we will see the first campaign brochure to list the credentials of friends and family and their priorities.

Scotia Plaza is cutting back on energy use - or so their signs claim. And the Eaton Centre was positively torrid last night ( I also noticed they're renovating Trinity Square, replacing the grass with paving. Maybe the labyrinth will be "cast in stone"? ).

Indeed babel - in the Spacing i handed you there's a little article on the grass-to-paving. something like $100,000 from Trillium.

electricity is used to pump lake water into reservoirs all over the city
Yup, can't forget about that. Now let's see how well I can remember OAC physics.

Assume that when you water your lawn, you use 1000 litres, which is 1 metre cube. This is a weight of 1000 kg, or 9800N. Assume that on average, and when you factor in friction, the water must be pumped 100 metres above the surface of Lake Ontario. One joule is 1 Nm, which means that watering your lawn uses 980000 joules.

Compare that to a 60 watt bulb. 1 Watt = 1 Joule/second. So the questoin is how long does a 60 Watt bulb have to be on in order to use 980000 joules. Solving for x in the equation 60J/s times x seconds = 980000 joules gives the equivalent of 4.5 hours.

So watering your lawn uses the same amount of energy as leaving a light bulb on for 4.5 hours. That doesn't sound like much until you remember that hundreds of thousands of lawns are watered each day. If 500000 lawns are watered in the GTA per day, that's the same as 90000 light bulbs burning 24 hours a day from May to September.

Miketoronto, it ain't just the water waste, it's just the nagging banality of your father. If my mother were married to him, she'd probably be the kind of suicide-by-oppressive-boredom that'd make Sylvia Plath or Diane Arbus blush...

"That doesn't sound like much until you remember that hundreds of thousands of lawns are watered each day."

Not our lawn - we let it die each summer so we don't have to cut it :) Dead grass is also softer to walk on because our yard is full of anthills that you can't avoid when the grass is long.

If adma's mother was married to miketoronto's father we'd have two unintelligible half brothers with bigamist parents on the forum. adma could move in with his new in-laws and live in the basement and pretend to be a 20 year old virgin again. miketoronto and adma could have long and meaningful discussions about architecture. Diane Plath-Adma could photograph her new extended family on the green, green, grass of Scarberia with the lawn sprinkler going in the background - and write depressing poetry. miketoronto's father could get high from the chemicals his new wife uses to print happy snaps in her studio next to the boy's room. I could drop by with some mulberry jam to look at the photographs and offer constructive criticism. cdl42 could bring rhubarb from his family homestead, shawn could take notes for a Ben Jungle like writeup in Spacing, and FutureMayor could knock on the door every few days to canvass us for our votes.

It'd make a great sitcom. We could have a live cam on the Rendering section.

Rather than Diane Arbus, i think this is Martin Parr territory.

--

I should say, i didn't hear of a watering ban either - i just assumed. Though i went for a late night bike ride up to Don Mills yesterday, and rode through the mist of lots of corporate sprinklers. It was windy out, and many of these places in Leaside/Flemingdon Park/Thorncliff were watering the streets rather than the grass.

There's an elderly Italian or Greek immigrant woman on my street who has been known to water her obsessively weedless front lawn and concrete patch immediately after a heavy thunderstorm, flicking the odd stray bit of twiggy or leafy debris into the street with a surly "take that" squirt of water.

I think some of this water-all-you-can approach is an I'm-an-immigrant-and-we-weren't-allowed-to-waste-water-like-this-back-where-I-came-from-but-now-we-can attitude.

They're not politically correct metered water types like some of us, and they want to get their money's worth out of the services they paid for, dammit.

My water is metered, and my little front lawn is no longer the perky grassy knoll it once was. My berry bushes and flowers get all the attention.

Back