682     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 939     0 

The beauty of Scarborough in summer

history.jpg

plus

dale.jpg

equals
Last year I saw an elderly Italian lady pump an entire propane tank-sized container of pesticides onto her yard - which was made entirely of interlocking stones, basically one big driveway. I'm told she obsessively takes care of these paving bricks like they were her own children; weeds don't have a chance.

The next day, her garage exploded. I don't know if it was caused by all the propane tanks of chemicals or the several tons of tomatoes and tomato sauce she had been preserving in there, but it blew the garage door off, caused tons of damage inside the house, and showered bits of tomatoes all over her precious yard. The explosion even cracked windows across the street. The neighbourhood smelled like burnt spaghetti sauce for weeks.

My current theory as to the cause of the explosion is that the tomatoes were giving off methane as they were being preserved, which then ignited the propane tanks.

EnviroTO I would say about 90% of Toronto's Italian population does not care about conservation at all.

It is sad, but true. Italians for the most part don't care about pollution, conservation, etc.

It has to do with the culture when they came here, of needing to do the things they could not do back home in Italy.

I deal with Italians everyday. And conservation, etc is not high on their list.

I know Italians who live like right at St Clair West subway station, and still drive to work at an office near Union Station, because.

So it all stems from that.

It all has to do with the restrictions in Italy, and how much more free you are here. Even my dad on his last visit to Italy, said he could not live there anymore, because of all the conservation laws they have now there. In Italy you don't take showers for 20min like here. You don't have lawns to overwater, etc. So Italians go crazy here with all that. Because in Italy it is restricted.

Hey, same basic reasons Torontonians of a certain persuasion head for Calgary

harper.jpg

I guess my family & friends make up the other 10% of Italians who do care about conservation.

^ Maybe your family and friends are 'regular' Italians.

Politicians, too! You guys really are busting those stereotypes.

I sit in the blistering sauna that is a provincial government building all day long. The air conditioning is virtually turned off, and hallways without windows have a single light bulb turned on every fifty or so feet. Common areas with windows have no artificial light at all. Half the elevators are shut down as a power conservation measure. We certainly do our part, but I have a feeling that even if we sat in the dark using no electricity at all, people will still rationalize their own behaviour by blaming those wasteful government workers.

I wish miketoronto would start reading his posts before posting them- for a while he was making headway, but the grammer and punctuation, not to mention the CONTENT in his latest posts, has been nothing more than a laughing matter...

p5

I sit in the blistering sauna that is a provincial government building all day long. The air conditioning is virtually turned off, and hallways without windows have a single light bulb turned on every fifty or so feet. Common areas with windows have no artificial light at all. Half the elevators are shut down as a power conservation measure. We certainly do our part, but I have a feeling that even if we sat in the dark using no electricity at all, people will still rationalize their own behaviour by blaming those wasteful government workers.

I work for a bank, and we have had the a/c set on "arctic" since June. ;)

Scarbourgh! How can any reasonably sane person live in such a barren, depressing, soul-crushing, depraved, retarted place? I wish a bomb was dropped on that sad burg. You need to start from scratch in that place. The Scarbourgh Bluffs are the only thing worth keeping. The city planners, politicians and citizens should be ashamed of themselves. Hey, North York isn't much better and we have Lastman to blame for that. I remember his boast that downtown North York was going to be better and more exciting then downtown Toronto by the 1990's. Famous last words! lol I was down there last week, got totally board after 10 min. (a total mess)

i love how people chastise others of waste and then waste themselves in ways that aren't as blatant....

Back