626     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 519     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 765     0 

The beauty of Scarborough in summer

M

miketoronto

Nothing like Mike's street during the summer. Only 20 min from the heart of our city, is this oasis of green.

My porch.
por2.jpg

My street, all nice and green, from my porch.
por4.jpg

por5.jpg

I don't want to be a naysayer, cuz i grew up on a nice street like yours, but itsn't it irresponsible to keep the lawns that green? Isn't there a watering of the grass ban?

now there's something you won't see in aus 'burbs - bitumen driveways!

those houses across the other side of your street, mike, look disturbingly like the neo-federation bollocks that is your 'short back and sides' of the aussie burb - how old's the estate? 20 years?

Just like areas of Mississauga that are only "20 minutes from downtown"... yet Mike you always seem to enjoy bashing Mississauga whenever you get the chance.

But a nice quiet street nonetheless - looks a lot like the area I grew up in 'sauga

My dad takes great pride in our green lawn. We have an underground sprinkler system, and my dad usually puts it on for one or two hours each night. Keeps the grass nice and green. The neighbours always ask us why we have the greenest grass on the block. And the secret is water. While everyone else puts all those chemicals, etc. We just put water. Does wonders.

My neighbourhood is now about 40 years old.

My dad takes great pride in our green lawn. We have an underground sprinkler system, and my dad usually puts it on for one or two hours each night. Keeps the grass nice and green. The neighbours always ask us why we have the greenest grass on the block. And the secret is water. While everyone else puts all those chemicals, etc. We just put water. Does wonders.

Two hours of lawn watering? So much for the grass watering ban!

IS there a grass watering ban on right now? I haven't heard anything about it, and can't find anything on the city's website.

We were all talking about that last night after supper, as we sat out under the garden umbrellas in the rain. Nobody knew, and we were all homeowners and ought to know these things. I don't think the City is doing as good a job as it used to when it comes to communicating such things.

My dad does not listen to the water ban anyway even if there was one. He does not believe in water bans, because he says the government leaders are the big wasters and are probably watering their lawns and have the AC's cranked up high. So why should we conserve. He does have a point.

Anyway it is nice to have green lawns though.

I've been in City Hall a bunch of times over the last month and it's on the warmish side. They don't have it cranked up. Your dad does not have a point. He should stop reading the Sun.

An argument such as there is an unlimited supply of water since it all flows back to the lake might be a good point. Saying you are going to waste because someone else does is like saying I'm going to litter because someone else litters, or I am going to commit a crime because someone else commits a crime.... that is not a good argument. Arguments like I should be able to waste energy because I am paying for it have half a point but don't consider the environmental impacts. All that said, the negative environmental impacts of running a sprinkler probably aren't as significant as driving a non-hybrid SUV instead of car when in the car alone, or putting pesticides on a lawn. However, the environmental concerns don't mean much if the power goes out and the city doesn't have enough water in reserve to meet the basic needs of the city.

The supply of Toronto's water is unlimited, but the pumping capacity is not. The capacity is based on the max expected hourly demand which would not be exceeded on the vast majority of days. The few times of the year that demand can't be met, that extra capacity is provided by reservoirs which are scattered throughout the city. But even then, the volume of water that the reservoirs supply can usually be replenished during periods of lower demand.

This system works fine and dandy 99% of the time, however problems start to arise during periods of prolonged hot and dry weather. The demand is so high that even with pumps operating at full capacity around the clock, more water is taken from reservoirs than replenished over a 24 hour period. And during times like these when we are relying on reservoirs to supply that little bit of extra demand, you can see that major supply issues start occur.

The bottom line is that it's completely irrelevant that Lake Ontario supplies an unlimited amount of water. It's all meaningless when more water is being used than can be provided. If everyone ignored watering bans, you bet that we would run out of water in a matter of days.

People have got to be aware that the city will run out of water when not enough people cut back on use.

Back