News   Apr 24, 2024
 396     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 461     0 

St. James Park Re-Sodded By Volunteers

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in projects and construction but either way it's such a wonderful story. Wow!

LINK

20111208stjames4.jpg

Few weeks from now it will be littered with garbage. cups, wrappers, butts, papers, dog poo, People are pigs.:mad:

Just went past - looks good! There's a sign saying a company donated the soil (new soil hass been put around a lot of the trees).

what surprised me was that the union allowed it !?!?!

Good point, I never thought of that. Unfortunately it looks like they'll be out of a job soon if the City goes through with contracting out their jobs. Talk about irony.

Beautiful job and a tribute to civic pride.

Absolutely! I followed this on the news this week, I was misty eyed seeing all those amazing people and companies come together to restore the park to a better state than it was before. There was no mention of any Occupiers helping out which I thought kind of sucked. If there were any there they didn't get any coverage.

Dare we say "Christmas Miracle" :)

Has this kind of thing happened before? Trying to think...

Good point, I never thought of that. Unfortunately it looks like they'll be out of a job soon if the City goes through with contracting out their jobs. Talk about irony.

Absolutely! I followed this on the news this week, I was misty eyed seeing all those amazing people and companies come together to restore the park to a better state than it was before. There was no mention of any Occupiers helping out which I thought kind of sucked. If there were any there they didn't get any coverage.

Were invitations mailed out to the Occupiers? The Occupiers donated money to help restore the park, i wonder what that money will be used for now.

I walked through it today and it looks great. I'm sure all the winter juice will soak into the ground and make it super green in the spring.

The sod and topsoil were donated. I also thought that the donations from OccupyToronto were for the park, but according to this, the donation was actually made to the St Lawrence BIA for holiday lighting.

That's good news for businesses in the area. I heard from a business owner next to the park that she and others were losing a lot of business during the occupation and were glad that it was ending (although she was careful to point out that they supported the cause).

Last edited:
So Toronto Coun. Pam McConnell, whose ward includes the park, lied to us?

Ms. McConnell, by her own admission, represents the squatters, not her contituents, so naturally she would want to cast them in the most favourable light.

Back