News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

source for cheap stone countertops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neuhaus

Member Bio
Reaction score
I need a stone countertop made for a small bathroom vanity.
I have seen those obnoxious signs on the street and ads on Craig's List and Kijiji advertising for really cheap, but they do not seem very reputable, and their stone selection is very limited and just plain ugly (granite that looks like vomit).

I have been to a couple stone places that sell remnants, but they charge an awful lot for extras (cuts, edging, and other details), and/or have a minimum charge of $1,000.

The countertop is 4.5 feet long (standard 22" depth) with a 45 degree cut off one side. I am looking at a light or medium gray stone (marble, granite) or Caesarstone with a very subtle grain or pattern.

Anyone know of reputable place that sells/fabricate/install a bathroom countertop at a reasonable price?

I had my countertops in the kitchen and bathroom changed to stone last year. The supplier was SP Marble:

S.P.MARBLE INC.
8 Bradwick Drive. Concord, Ontario, Canada, L4K 2T3
Tel: (905)738-3577, Fax: (905)738-5543.
Web site: www.spmarble.com

The bathroom countertop (standard depth, approx. 42" long) cost $680+ GST for 3/4" Carrera marble, and included the sink cutout and a 1 1/2" edge. If you want a fancy stone, they will give you a list of suppliers where you can choose your slab and they will do the cuts, delivery, and installation. They also carry a small selection in their warehouse and was able to supply the marble for me.

Cheers guys! I will definitely check these places out.
I noticed there are a ton of stone and tile shops in Concord and Vaughan, but don't have the time to shop around.

I don't really like the speckled look of granite and leaning towards a Carrera or Calcutta Marble with a subtle light gray tone.
Those prices are really good.

There are I have been told 3 main importers of marble/granite for Canada and everyone gets the stone in turn from them. They are all located in Concord/Vaughn.

We used The Belluz group in Hamilton.

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Hamilton/Belluz-Group-The/6268161.html.

They were simply excellent. They have a number of pieces on site, not to the degree that some of the big ones in Concord but if they have something, they do all the work and were very reasonable in price. I believe the gentleman's name was Sandro. Nice guy.
The granite comparable was about 70% of what I was quoted in Toronto or Oakville. (We did kitchen counters).

the most important thing was we had a few months later a partition seperate. They were back within 1 day of being advised and repaired it with an apology. Service that can only be described as excellent. (No problems in the following year.) I am sure for a small piece for a bathroom counter they would be reasonable.

Cheers guys! I will definitely check these places out.
I noticed there are a ton of stone and tile shops in Concord and Vaughan, but don't have the time to shop around.

I don't really like the speckled look of granite and leaning towards a Carrera or Calcutta Marble with a subtle light gray tone.
Those prices are really good.

Go to Crystal Tile on Dufflaw and grab a slab of discontinued Palissandro Bluette for $600. It's beautiful.

www.prostone.ca has some relatively inexpensive granite, if you like 1.25" thick granite, but with no overhanging edge. Most of the granite shops have 0.75" granite, but laminate an edge on it to make it 1.5".

Their price is $48 per square foot including finishing and installation. However, the colours and patterns are somewhat limited. If you want some more striking ones, it will cost more.

BTW, unless you're getting remnants or discontinued granite pieces, most of the inexpensive granite available is the less popular stuff. What several stores indicated to me is that while price is of course related to quality, it's also very related to demand (ie. colour and pattern). A good quality granite that looks "like vomit" might be inexpensive, but a moderate quality granite that looks uber cool might be expensive.

I ended up NOT going with them, because I wanted a different colour, and because my counters were pre-built for 0.75" granite with a 1.5" edge. To use 1.25" granite would have meant removing the top plywood and redoing it.

I used guy

I forget the company. His name is Joe 416.817.2828. he has a granite company

Just signed up to say thank you for pointing this company out. I have been on the lookout for some Kashmir White granite countertops for a while and they had just what I needed at a decent price. Thanks again.
www.prostone.ca has some relatively inexpensive granite, if you like 1.25" thick granite, but with no overhanging edge. Most of the granite shops have 0.75" granite, but laminate an edge on it to make it 1.5".

Their price is $48 per square foot including finishing and installation. However, the colours and patterns are somewhat limited. If you want some more striking ones, it will cost more.

BTW, unless you're getting remnants or discontinued granite pieces, most of the inexpensive granite available is the less popular stuff. What several stores indicated to me is that while price is of course related to quality, it's also very related to demand (ie. colour and pattern). A good quality granite that looks "like vomit" might be inexpensive, but a moderate quality granite that looks uber cool might be expensive.

I ended up NOT going with them, because I wanted a different colour, and because my counters were pre-built for 0.75" granite with a 1.5" edge. To use 1.25" granite would have meant removing the top plywood and redoing it.

I have dealt with prostone on two occasions for granite countertops in my kitchen and had nothing but a great experience and a wonderful looking product. I would highly recommend them.

I'm glad you guys had good results with them.

I ended up going with Marble View. I didn't like their initial price. After bargaining back and forth I got a very good price from them. The work was very good. This is their 0.75" Red Dragon granite with 1.5" edge, for my basement reno.

IMG_5607.jpg

I'm glad you guys had good results with them.

I ended up going with Marble View. I didn't like their initial price. After bargaining back and forth I got a very good price from them. The work was very good. This is their 0.75" Red Dragon granite with 1.5" edge, for my basement reno.

IMG_5607.jpg

Thanks! Checking in with them now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back