News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Skyline from the west

casaguy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Here's a view many of you may not get to see. (Yonge/Bloor at the far left, CityPlace at the far right).

I find it interesting that in the end, 1 Bloor, Aura, and Signature will all be almost exactly evenly spread out from this vantage point, creating clusters not quite as tall as the Scotia/BMO cluster.

fallskyline.jpg

1 Bloor and Aura should create peaks as high if not higher than the CBD due to the fact that those areas are significantly higher above the lake level than King and Bay.

taken from the crossways tower i suppose? actually probably that highrise@dovercourt and bloor, or one of those dupont/landsdowne area slabs.

I've got that view too--except crossways is blocking the yonge/wellesley-yonge/college area. by day, toronto from my pov looks like a small grim town in the midwest, by night it looks better--but still reminds me of what former torontonians living in vancouver used to say: the higher up you live in toronto the higher chance you'll be depressed by what you see! Toronto has a view? lol. Very true....

^ I'd like to see that small grim midwestern US town that has half the number of high-rises shown in that pic. Make that 1/10th.

There is nothing depressing or midwestern about the Toronto skyline.

When I see the Toronto skyline (from almost any vantage point), I'm reminded of cities in Asia.

i find toronto to be a VERY midwestern city and skyline.
but what of it??
so is chicago!
ain't nothin' grim about chicago.
there's no shame in the midwest.
any grim-inosity in that skyline will soon be wiped away by a couple of sexy 80 storey towers.

Casa: Good Toronto pic! Yes-Toronto has a Great Lakes and Midwestern feel to it. It almost can be used as a rectangular postcard! LI MIKE

I half agree with the Midwest comments...small, tall downtowns immediately adjacent to 2 storey houses are typical of cities that grew very quickly in the 20thC and lack the ring of 'middle' density that a city like Montreal or New York has.

Show me a midwest city with the population (or economic reality) of Toronto.

I'm wagering that it's midwest because it's...
- First and foremost, a flat landscape
- Treed (not desert or prairie)
- Not defined by water/coastline
- "tall downtown immediately adjacent to 2 storey houses"
- Modern

Chicago is the defining "midwest skyline"... well what skyline does Toronto reflect moreso than Chicago? Calling it midwest doesn't mean it's small or poor, it means it reflects the midwest landscape.

If this picture shows anything, it shows that Toronto is a subway-town, built in linear fashion with the tallest towers at subway stop. Where there are two-storey houses you have no subways.

This picture also shows that Toronto needs some more excitement to its development. So much of it is similar that the buildings are almost invisible. Look at ROCP1 and ROCP 2. They've been painted a beautiful sky blue, ala the Simpsons. You can hardly see them.

City Place is the same way - the almost blend into the clouds.

I love Toronto's skyline and it is only getting bigger and better, but c'mon, would a little variety be a bad thing? (I think we all know the answer to that)

If this picture shows anything, it shows that Toronto is a subway-town, built in linear fashion with the tallest towers at subway stop. Where there are two-storey houses you have no subways.

Except Rosedale...and Glencairn...and Bessarion...and Lawrence...and Dupont...and Royal York...and...

Back