1.3K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.6K     7 

Singapore vs Toronto

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m here in Singapore for a week for work, and the differences with Toronto are striking. First of all, I see zero street begging, vagrancy, graffiti or other signs of societal urban decay. The streets and infrastructure seem spotless. This place is sharp and clean.

I know city state vs. slave to Queens Park is not entirely fair, but how does Singapore do it?

I was in Shanghai yesterday for three days, and that city also was much cleaner and neater than Toronto, though much smokier. I’m in KUL next week, so we’ll see how that compares with TO.

I’m here in Singapore for a week for work, and the differences with Toronto are striking. First of all, I see zero street begging, vagrancy, graffiti or other signs of societal urban decay. The streets and infrastructure seem spotless. This place is sharp and clean.

I know city state vs. slave to Queens Park is not entirely fair, but how does Singapore do it?

I was in Shanghai yesterday for three days, and that city also was much cleaner and neater than Toronto, though much smokier. I’m in KUL next week, so we’ll see how that compares with TO.
You are comparing Toronto/Canada to autocratic single-party states. Are you really wondering aloud how autocratic states keep the streets clean and crime-free? I think the answer is quite obvious to most

I’m here in Singapore for a week for work, and the differences with Toronto are striking. First of all, I see zero street begging, vagrancy, graffiti or other signs of societal urban decay.

Graffiti is art, not decay.

The streets and infrastructure seem spotless. This place is sharp and clean.

As in sterile?

Autocratic bollocks, is how.

This reminds me....when I'm done moving, I'm going to post up some pics I took of European street art....or "signs of decay"

Definitely stronger political mechanisms that allow for a finer oversight of the city, stricter laws to conform a multicultural populace, and an underlying cultural desire for collective stability over individuality (not surprising given the fate of the Chinese in Malaysia) that allows a "benevolent dictatorship" to get away with a singular vision of what Singapore "wants to be".

It's not a place for everyone nor a model that works everywhere, but Singapore's 'message' does 'work' in its regional context (i.e. against Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand).

Last edited:
Singapore is probably the most Disneyfied out of all the cities I've visited. Even their nightclub district Clarke Quay and Chinatown is impeccably clean, but unbelievably sterile. Parts of it feels like walking in Orlando's Downtown Disney. The Marina Bay Sands area is practically a mini Vegas. It helps that the city-state is so small, that they can concentrate their infrastructure and tax dollars to maximum effect.

The city has first rate cuisine, but the city feels numbingly-boring and culturally monolithic. I personally would be disappointed if Toronto emulated it.

Changi Airport is perfect for a layover though, and the best gateway into Thailand and SE Asia.

Last edited:
Singapore is probably the most Disneyfied out of all the cities I've visited. Even their nightclub district Clarke Quay and Chinatown is impeccably clean, but unbelievably sterile. Parts of it feels like walking in Orlando's Downtown Disney
They renamed it Disney Springs. Even WDW knows you can't fake a city. Singapore hasn't caught on yet.

I disagree. IMO, murals commissioned by the property owner is street art. Someone tagging my garage door is not art.

Sure, I can agree with that. But you said "graffiti" which is a whole world of spray can art, not just shitty tags on walls. I know there's a lot of shitty graff out there. In general, though, it's not a sign of decay, but art.

Though, I wonder if you'd consider the shitty paint-over on bland concrete walls you see along train tracks to be preferable to whatever was put up there by graff artists. If you do, then I can see your point and problem.

My customers here seem to enjoying life, and immensely proud of their country. I like the subway, spent much of today on the metro here. Also took the cable car.

Attachments

• IMG_20180825_1324444.jpg
    IMG_20180825_1324444.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_20180825_1226419.jpg
    IMG_20180825_1226419.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_20180825_1246030.jpg
    IMG_20180825_1246030.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 338
In Singapore, there is no negative stigma over public housing. Much of the city-state's population lives in them, regardless of income level.

Caning is also commonly used in both Singapore and in Malaysia.
Singapore’s experience demonstrates that swift, sure and harsh punishment of criminals is an effective deterrent to crime. Toronto’s experience demonstrates that whatever we’re doing isn’t working. But as usual, it’s not our Canadian way to learn from any other countries.

Singapore’s experience demonstrates that swift, sure and harsh punishment of criminals is an effective deterrent to crime.

I'm sure Kim Jong Un, Xi Jiping, Philippines strongman Richard Duterte and recently pardoned Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio would agree!

I'm sure Kim Jong Un, Xi Jiping, Philippines strongman Richard Duterte and recently pardoned Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio would agree!
And perhaps the children shot at a Toronto playground recently, and the children murdered on the Danforth - had they survived - might agree that we have a growing crime problem in this city that is uncontained by our criminal justice system.

My customers here seem to enjoying life, and immensely proud of their country. I like the subway, spent much of today on the metro here. Also took the cable car.

Hmm...Singapore's MRT is pretty what you typically expect from Asian subway systems, it's about on par to Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai, Seoul, etc...

Back