News   Apr 24, 2024
 532     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 723     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 521     0 

Should Construction Workers Get Free Parking?

I don't disagree with any of that. But the contractor should arrange for the necessary off-street parking and/or facilities for such equipment. .
I got a great example for you. During construction of Humber River Hospital, before the parking garage was opening, there were 1300 workers (at peak) on site. The general contractor provided zero parking, as they have no obligation to do so, and there are no parking spaces in the neighborhood for public use. I believe that the nearest public pay lot was at Wilson station, which fills up quickly, especially as the Yorkdale lot closed at around the same time. Some of the subcontractors did arrange agreements with a couple local apartment buildings, and people did rent out driveways, but there simply was not enough parking spaces in that neighborhood to accommodate such an influx.

Generally downtown, this is not as much of an issue, as there are plenty of parking garages, but there are certain pockets where it can be a problem. Bridgepoint Hospital was also a pain, from what I remember.

The problem that was photographed in the first thread, is also mostly confined to road/utility construction (IMO) and is not as common on ICI or residential sites.

I got a great example for you. During construction of Humber River Hospital, before the parking garage was opening, there were 1300 workers (at peak) on site. The general contractor provided zero parking, as they have no obligation to do so, and there are no parking spaces in the neighborhood for public use. I believe that the nearest public pay lot was at Wilson station, which fills up quickly, especially as the Yorkdale lot closed at around the same time. Some of the subcontractors did arrange agreements with a couple local apartment buildings, and people did rent out driveways, but there simply was not enough parking spaces in that neighborhood to accommodate such an influx.

I have no doubt, and that would be particularly difficult given it was a hospital. The area around hospitals tend to be awful for parking, because the City has largely eliminated street parking for public use within a radius of several blocks, otherwise the streets fill up with patients, visitors and staff looking to avoid the pricey hospital lots. Of course, paucity of parking is a situation all Torontonians face.

The problem that was photographed in the first thread, is also mostly confined to road/utility construction (IMO) and is not as common on ICI or residential sites.

That wouldn't surprise me, and that's a good distinction. I've seen the problem on residential sites, but you are correct that most egregious examples do seem to be related to road work.

Back