1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 610     0 

Second Line... mostly...

Lone Primate

Member Bio
Reaction score
Don Mills Willowdale Park Forest something I dunno
Some of the posts here have prompted me to go back into some really old photographs I have and put them up here for your consideration. These will be of particular interest, I think, to you folks in northwest Mississauga.

In the winter of 1988-1989, my parents took a trip to the Caribbean, and they brought home to me a decent SLR camera and a couple of lenses. It was easily the best camera any of us had ever owned, and I made considerable use of it within the film-and-development budget I had. I got into B&W photography for a bit, which, to my consternation, turned out to be markedly more expensive than colour; so I didn't do as much of it as I would have liked. One roll I shot was simply me roaming around the area around home... Meadowvale and Erin Mills... sometime in late winter or early spring, 1989. These are some of the shots I took.

Let's start with the Second Line shots.

Second Line 1.png

This shot (in fact, all of these shots) was taken on Second Line, the part that's now Terry Fox Way, in the immediate vicinity of where Dreamcrest Village Plaza is now; about a half a kilometre north of Eglinton Avenue. At the time, I was in the middle of farmland. The view looks across open field to the rather isolated and solitary view of City Hall, which was only a few years old at most at this point.

These following three shots show the view across the field through what's now Century City Park and subdivision toward where Mavis was about to push northward. At the time, Mavis had finally broken free of its bounds at the south side of Eglinton, but hadn't made it all the way north to Britannia quite yet. You can see subdivision filling in the area east of the northbound stub of Mavis.
Second Line 2.png

Second Line 3.png

Second Line 4.png

These next couple of shots are essentially the same, except one is the zoom version of the other. They look southward from the same location as the other shots, down Second Line (Terry Fox Way) toward Eglinton.
Second Line 5.png

Second Line 6.png

Stepping away from Second Line now, here are a few shots of Erin Mills Town Centre, when it was still under construction. You can see the clock tower is still skeletal. I gather it's come and gone in the meantime, which I think is a pity. I lived in Mississauga another 11 years or so, and that tower was iconic and a beacon for orienting oneself.

Erin Mills Town Centre from Tenth Line.png

This shot was taken on Tenth Line, looking easterly across open field toward the Town Centre. You can see there was pretty much nothing in between in those days. This part of Tenth Line doesn't exist anymore per se. By my reckoning, where I took this shot from in 1989, today, I'd be standing in somebody's living room in one of the houses just south of Erin Centre Blvd.

Erin Mills Town Centre from Tenth Line and Eglinton.png

This shot was taken from the vicinity of the intersection of Tenth Line and Eglinton Avenue as it existed at the time. That would have been about half way between where Tenth Line meets Eglinton today to the west and Dubonet Drive to the east.

Erin Mills Town Centre from Winston Churchill and Eglinton.png

Finally, this shot of the Town Centre was taken looking across the intersection of Winston Churchill Blvd. with Eglinton Avenue, from Eglinton.

One last shot. It took me a while to figure out what this was, even though, ironically, it was practically shouting distance from where I lived. This is looking across Tenth Line from Trelawny Circle just east of Mockingbird Lanes at Plum Tree Public School, which had only recently been built then. I wish I'd swung the camera just a little to the south and captured the gasworks! They were fairly prominent when I lived in the area... you could hear them venting from time to time... but they're long gone now.
Gasworks on Tenth Line from Aquitaine.png

Now I know what James V. Salmon would have felt like if only he'd lived to look back from the time I took these shots at the ones he took in the 1950s! :)

Another good suburban history thread!

Here's a few 8mm camcorder screen grabs from about the same time period (1991).

The Madill farm on Eglinton seen from city hall:

1.jpg

Looking south from a dirt pile at the corner of Matheson down the Mavis Rd. extension:

2.jpg

Corner of Derry Rd. W. and McLaughlin Rd. looking north. This was shot the next year:

3.jpg

You've got some of the best videos, man. :)

That’s crazy how things change. You could go on Second Line from Eglinton through Brampton where it connected with present day Chinguacousy, all the way up until Olde Base Line Rd in Caledon. Now, Second Line only exists today as a small stub between Highway 401 and Highway 407 as a neighborhood road.

Another good suburban history thread!

Here's a few 8mm camcorder screen grabs from about the same time period (1991).

The Madill farm on Eglinton seen from city hall:

View attachment 299887

Looking south from a dirt pile at the corner of Matheson down the Mavis Rd. extension:

View attachment 299888

Corner of Derry Rd. W. and McLaughlin Rd. looking north. This was shot the next year:

View attachment 299889
I would be really curious to see the entire video clip!

LOVE this forum, all these photos bring back memories for me. I miss the way everything used to look. Sigh. Does anyone happen to have any photos of Burnhamthorpe BEFORE the 407 was put up and where it met up with Bronte?

Will upload the vid eventually. Just need to find a way to transfer it to get better quality. Hard to do.
Well, if you recorded it in regular NTSC video, then I'm afraid that's all the quality you're ever going to get out of it; 640 by 480. There were only 480 used horizontal scan lines in NTSC, so that's the limit you're up against. That's all the detail you captured, and it's all you'll ever have. Trying to get it to a higher resolution won't change that; it's like blowing up a postage stamp to poster size. If you'd shot it on film, yeah, you could scan it at higher resolutions until you hit the grain level. But if, as I suspect, you just used a regular video camera, it really doesn't matter what resolution you're working with. Once you hit 640 by 480, that's all she wrote, pard. Digitize it and dazzle us with the past. The low, low resolution past. :)

Well, if you recorded it in regular NTSC video, then I'm afraid that's all the quality you're ever going to get out of it; 640 by 480. There were only 480 used horizontal scan lines in NTSC, so that's the limit you're up against. That's all the detail you captured, and it's all you'll ever have. Trying to get it to a higher resolution won't change that; it's like blowing up a postage stamp to poster size. If you'd shot it on film, yeah, you could scan it at higher resolutions until you hit the grain level. But if, as I suspect, you just used a regular video camera, it really doesn't matter what resolution you're working with. Once you hit 640 by 480, that's all she wrote, pard. Digitize it and dazzle us with the past. The low, low resolution past. :)

But when I watch the VHS tapes on a TV, the vids are of much better quality.

But when I watch the VHS tapes on a TV, the vids are of much better quality.
It's true that some methods of digitization are better than others, but the bottom line is, you're still dealing with 480 lines of resolution. How many pixels you want to turn that into is kind of arbitrary, but beyond a certain point, you're squeezed all the juice out of it that's in it, and anything else is just "making up" information that isn't actually there. But there are things you can try that might yield results you like better.

There's a guy in Chicago who makes great videos about the technical aspects of things, including this very issue. They're fairly short and to the point. First, here's what you're up against in terms of how little information NTSC video actually captures versus, say, film:
And second, here's how he digitizes video, and a solution you might look into:

Back