News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 577     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 880     0 

Sealed and Polished Concrete Floors, How much?

zeeden

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has gone with the sealed and polished concrete floors option in their unit.

I know some buildings lately are coming like this standard. But For those who got this as an option from the developer or got this done from a private contractor, how much did it cost you?

The building i'm looking at has a concrete ceilings looking to complete the "look" with some polished concrete floors.

Yes.

The builder's price for polished concrete was $10.50 per sq ft. Engineered hardwood floor options ranged from $11-13 per sq ft.

Yes.

The builder's price for polished concrete was $10.50 per sq ft. Engineered hardwood floor options ranged from $11-13 per sq ft.

The building comes with standard engineered hardwood floors...so I guess we'll have to see if they're willing do polished concrete instead of the hardwood.

I wouldn't want to live below someone with concrete floors

Just wondering if anyone has gone with the sealed and polished concrete floors option in their unit.

I know some buildings lately are coming like this standard. But For those who got this as an option from the developer or got this done from a private contractor, how much did it cost you?

The building i'm looking at has a concrete ceilings looking to complete the "look" with some polished concrete floors.

they look nice for an industrial look, but from a physiological perspective, it does damage to your joints.

I have worked in a office with polished concrete floors, they do look great, but after a while i had to cover my area up with mats, my back was killing me from walking back forth on concrete all day. Not something i would want in a house or condo.

I has polished concrete floors before. They were great and very low maintenance. Only concern was closer to the windows, it was very cold in winter. I would get them again if I had the choice and it suited the unit.

I'm surprised this is even allowed ...

As mentioned above I'd hate to live underneath such a unit. Do they put extra insulation underneath ?

Otherwise this should be 100% illegal.

It would probably pass a lot of sound tests as well because it would just be dropping noises - that would pass through - but this could get annoying really fast.

I live below a polished concrete floor and I don't hear anything from above. I presume they put in some insulation (I'm in the Quad Lofts)

I would feel like living in my parent's garage... But it's individual preference of course. One more thing: if you drop your favourite vase on concrete floor, it's gone. On wood, it has a chance.

Okay so has anyone here actually experienced living below someone with conrcrete floors above them besides Daveto? Or are people just assuming its going to annoying to those below.

Because concrete floors do come as an option or as a standard in some condos.

Okay so has anyone here actually experienced living below someone with conrcrete floors above them besides Daveto? Or are people just assuming its going to annoying to those below.

even if they come standard or an option, the Condo Docs may state that a certain % of flooring must be covered by carpets/rugs to dampen noise transmission, etc.

most probably never had the rule enforced, unless there's a complaint from a resident below, then the BoD will have to abide by their own by-laws/rules and have the owner comply - even if the concrete came as standard/option.

the same rules apply to hardwood, etc.

Have lived both with concrete floors and under a unit with concrete floors & would take it over hardwood anytime. Only noises I heard from above were during moving times and on rare occasion when it seemed a seriously heavy object was dropped.

If finished properly, concrete floors last ages, never stain, are super easy to clean and unlike hardwood floors, will not dent, can easily be polished out if scratched and there is never a concern about water damage or expansion/contraction issues.

However, when improperly finished, concrete floors can stain, peel, discolour, absorb water like marble, even flake - you name it. Ugly.

If the space suits it, take concrete. But if at all possible, first check out examples of the workmanship you will be getting.

Re: ceiling also being concrete; this look can feel cave-like and make the ceiling feel lower than it is. You may want to consider keeping one element of natural concrete and paint one out. Edgy would be to paint the floor and keep the natural ceiling, but more typical is to keep the floor natural and paint the ceiling white.

Good luck!

A friend of mine had a very cool loft in the old Toronto Telegram building (I don't remember what the project is called). The developer went broke close to completion (a nightmare for purchasers) and he couldn't take the noisy neighbours above with concrete floors and the poor soundproofing on one side of his suite so he sold and lost his shirt on the deal.

Back