News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 664     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 934     0 

RIP Boeing Administration Building - Malton (Mississauga)

Re: RIP Boeing Administration Building - Malton (Mississauga

At least they cancelled it before they wasted money on actually producing those planes that didn't meet anyone's needs and which no nation wanted to buy.

SW-Avrocar3.JPG

lol looks like the pilot's legs sticking out of the bottom of the saucer. it's the avro flintstones flying saucer!

placeless part of the 'sauga

Placeless like Port Credit, Clarkson Village, Streetsville and Cooksville?

Placeless like Port Credit, Clarkson Village, Streetsville and Cooksville?
There's exceptions to every rule Jarrek. ;)

I sit on the Heritage Mississauga Committee so I can clearify what actually happend with the site:

The city had asked the Airport Authority to save the buildings, who in turn said no, but agreed to keep the facade of the building that use to have the words Avro on it. The Airport Authority plans to redevelop the site for other operation uses.

The city will be working with the federal government to create an Avro park to commerate the aircraft. A model of the plane used for the CBC mini series has been secured and is in storage.

Louroz
Well, 18 years later and what changes have we seen? There certainly was never any "Avro Park" built, or any preservation of the facade of any building. I remember clearly that the GTAA (Greater Toronto Airport Authority) insisted that they needed that land right away. When I spoke with my local Mississauga Counsellor, I was told it was completely out of their hands and I had to speak with the Federal Government. I spoke with our MP and MPP, both of whom told me it was a deal between the City of Mississauga and the GTAA. Nobody would take responsibility, just vague promises of some preservation.

The airplane that was built and preserved was kept at the Downsview Airport at the Toronto Aerospace Museum later called the Canadian Air and Space Museum. The museum was closed in 2011. Everything was put in storage until 2018 when they announced they would open the museum Edenvale Airport, 100 km northwest of Toronto. Nothing has been opened or started and as of 2022. Presumably, everything remains in storage, somewhere but as the years pass, the memory fades, as does the public support.

The land that A.V Roe / Boeing sat on has remained completely empty for the last 18 years, despite the fact that the GTAA insisted that they urgently needed the land. Our local population has forgotten about this historic site, which makes all levels of government and the GTAA quite happy.

Other heritage houses on Airport Road were also removed in around 2008. The City of Mississauga promised to protect the memory and preserve some aspects. One of those houses remains an empty lot on Airport road right behind Victory Park. The other home was bulldozed and became a parking lot extension for a mosque.

Certainly, ex Mayor Hazel McCallion never gave a damn about Malton. I now live in Streetsville, who under McCallion, was preserved to a great extent. But you can never trust any Heritage Committee to preserve anything. The citizen members are well meaning, but it is the local politicians that run the show. The city government will say and promise anything to keep the public quiet, but rarely do they pull threw. They cannot be trusted. I see recently the old Iroquois Engine Plant was torn down at the corner of Derry Road and Professional Court. The Iroquois Engine was designed and built by Orenda Aerospace, which like Avro Canada, became part of Hawker Siddeley. The Iroquois Engine was built for the AVRO Arrow. The building, last owned by Magellan Aerospace, was torn down sometime in 2021, quietly and without any fuss.

History is only preserved in Mississauga, and Ontario as a whole, if it is convenient and if it can be done cheaply.

Last edited:

Back