Toronto Rees Park Playground and Pavillion | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200928104605086_COVER.jpg

Looks like some work is starting today.

Right. Is this part of the water management system that's supposed to be under the park, or is this completely separate?

I honestly don't know what is in the scope of the current work.

But I can say what is not.

The storm water shaft is not being done at this time.

So whether or not there are some preparatory works or this is completely different; there will definitely be a separate future project for a storm water shaft and that will be AFTER phase 1 of the Park is built and opened.

That's the whole reason they divide the park project into 2 phases, was so that Toronto Water wouldn't come in and make a huge mess of a finished space.

The large lawn in phase 1 is the future storm water shaft.

So whether or not there are some preparatory works or this is completely different; there will definitely be a separate future project for a storm water shaft and that will be AFTER phase 1 of the Park is built and opened.

That's the whole reason they divide the park project into 2 phases, was so that Toronto Water wouldn't come in and make a huge mess of a finished space.

It does seem to be right near where that new Enwave water pipe will be

AoD

Looking at the DRP - I think the reduction in the size of the ridge has gone too far. The potential of a road noise, wind & weather buffer for the Waterfront is going to be lost if they're not careful!View attachment 272420
I think the idea is that the tree canopy on top of the ridge will eventually block the Gardiner, but getting the trees that big will depend on proper soil volume and growing conditions, and will take probably a decade at minimum.

I think this is completely separate.

AoD

From the YQNA:

Enwave’s pipe system, which delivers cold water from Lake Ontario to cool Toronto’s high-rises, is in need of repair. The 112-year-old Cross Harbour Tunnel that runs from Muggs Island to the John St. Pumping Station will be reinforced, starting in August and finished in June next year. An important part of this project happens in our neighourhood under the City-owned parking lot at Rees Street and Queens Quay.

Work will take place in a hoarded construction site, from 7 am to 7 pm during the week and during extended hours as needed, says Mae Lee, public consultant for the City. Vehicle beepers will be removed and replaced with white noise technology, and overnight work will be restricted to below ground to minimize noise. Enwave’s access to the site will be from Lake Shore Boulevard. During construction, the parking lot will shrink by 40%, and Queens Quay will apparently not be affected.

The much larger project of constructing a new shaft for the Central Waterfront Wet Weather Flow System will eventually fit underground on the same site, but that won’t hinder the beautiful new park from being built, designed by Waterfront Toronto.

Neither of the things mentioned. According to the poster on the fence, it's for fresh water supply for Toronto island. I could've read it wrong. But looks like it's not related to the park, nor enwave, no stormwater.

Neither of the things mentioned. According to the poster on the fence, it's for fresh water supply for Toronto island. I could've read it wrong. But looks like it's not related to the park, nor enwave, no stormwater.

There is a water treatment plant ON the Island (it sends water TO downtown). This , from the documents to WT's Design Review Panel on 23 September 2020, would seem to give a definitive answer. https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/wcm/connect/waterfront/a86d2baf-6ed9-4fb9-b065-c70fe418ee36/September+23+2020+WDRP_2_Rees+Street+Park_Issues+Identification+(DRAFT).pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=a86d2baf-6ed9-4fb9-b065-c70fe418ee36

1601331261141.png

BUT according to this map from same report the shaft is on the east side!

1601331473144.png

The mystery continues!

Looks like it's for this project, as @Tuscani01 said upthread:

Back