1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

President Joe Biden's United States of America

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A Former Montrealer Is Set To Be The Next US Vice President & The First Female In The Role

Kamala Harris lived in Montreal for a long time.

9d7819aaf803e30e22beb36ace8a7e34.jpg_1200x630.jpg

From link.

Our neighbours are set to have a new vice president and Kamala Harris' Canadian connection runs deep.

Joe Biden is now projected to win the U.S. election and there could soon be a link to Canada in the White House.

Harris moved to Quebec with her family when she was 12 years old because her mother started working at the Jewish General Hospital doing research and at McGill University teaching.

Harris went to school in Montreal and graduated from Westmount High School in 1981.

According to the New York Times, she said in her memoir that moving to Canada was a bit of a culture shock.

"I was 12 years old, and the thought of moving away from sunny California in February, in the middle of the school year, to a French-speaking foreign city covered in 12 feet of snow was distressing," she said.

The newly-elected vice president also mentioned that her mother tried to turn moving into an adventure like they were going to be winter explorers.

After graduating, Harris left Canada and went back to the U.S. for university.

The English Montreal School Board told MTLBlog that it's proud of Harris and knows that her education played a role in her being a successful person.

When Biden announced that she was his running mate, Westmount High School tweeted that they couldn't be more proud of her.

Trudeau congratulated Harris and Biden in a tweet shortly after the projections came out.

Michelle Obama this afternoon: “I’m beyond thrilled that my friend Joe Biden and our first Black and Indian-American woman Vice President, Kamala Harris, are headed to restore some dignity, competence, and heart at the White House. Our country sorely needs it.”

Douglas Emhoff to become America's first second gentleman

From link.

safe_image.php

Douglas Emhoff, the husband of Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, will be the first male spouse of a vice president come January.

Second gentleman. Second husband. Second dude. No matter the formal title, Emhoff, who is Jewish, is making history in his own right, a reflection of the nation's changing political and gender norms.

CNN projected Saturday that Joe Biden will become the 46th president of the United States, making Harris the next vice president. Harris, a Democratic senator from California, will make history as the first woman, the first Black person and the first person of Southeast Asian assume the office.

"So proud of you," Emhoff tweeted on Saturday, with a picture of him and Harris hugging.

Emhoff, a successful entertainment lawyer, was a mostly quiet and supportive presence on the campaign trail when Harris was running for president during the Democratic primary. Harris dropped out of the primary race in December and joined Biden as his running mate in August.

Emhoff shied away from the spotlight, and was often seen backstage or at the edge of the crowd at Harris' events sporting a "Kamala" T-shirt. But he is active on social media, with his supporters calling themselves the #DougHive, modeled after Harris' supporters and the #KHive.

He garnered attention last year when he rushed onstage to protect Harris after a protester came close enough to the senator to grab her microphone.

Emhoff also defended Harris when Donald Trump Jr., the President's son, retweeted a racist lie that Harris is not a Black American because her parents immigrated from Jamaica and India.

Harris and Emhoff met after they were set up on a blind date in 2013 by Harris' best friend when Harris was California's attorney general. Emhoff was, at the time, divorced from Kerstin Emhoff, with whom he has two children, Cole and Ella.

Emhoff proposed to Harris in 2014 after a swift courtship. The couple was married at the courthouse in Santa Barbara later that year in a ceremony officiated by Harris' sister Maya.

Harris wrote in Elle magazine in May 2019 that her stepchildren came up with her moniker "Momala" a few years after she and Emhoff were married because they preferred the term over "stepmom."

"My family means everything to me. And I've had a lot of titles over my career, and certainly, 'Vice President' will be great, but 'Momala' will always be the one that means the most," Harris said in her first speech after Biden chose her to run with him for the White House.

So, age 12 to graduating high school, so what, 5? 6? years. Anything I have read doesn't indicate it wasn't a particularly determining part of her life. Too much cold and a lot of funny language. We tend to get giggly at the most tenuous connection.
For some, those are the most formative years 🤷‍♂️

Prediction:

Joe Biden's biggest enemy is cynicism. A lot of people are very neutral on him and backed him due to trump then him personally.

Joe Biden will work with the GOP and piss off the progressive but he will get stuff passed. Progressives will be pissed and as a result, he may face losses in the midterms.

With Old age and weakened in power due to congress and the senate opposing him he will not run and
1. Retire in the third year
2. Stick out the full term and have Kamala as the heir

But what do I know in 2012, who thought Trump be President.

Prediction:

Joe Biden's biggest enemy is cynicism. A lot of people are very neutral on him and backed him due to trump then him personally.

Joe Biden will work with the GOP and piss off the progressive but he will get stuff passed. Progressives will be pissed and as a result, he may face losses in the midterms.

With Old age and weakened in power due to congress and the senate opposing him he will not run and
1. Retire in the third year
2. Stick out the full term and have Kamala as the heir

But what do I know in 2012, who thought Trump be President.

All day yesterday experts kept saying Joe will work with the GOP yet at the same time the squad was ranting about not working with them and have created a list of anyone who supports/worked or donated to the GOP.

All day yesterday experts kept saying Joe will work with the GOP yet at the same time the squad was ranting about not working with them and have created a list of anyone who supports/worked or donated to the GOP.

Biden biggest foe will be AOC in 2 years

She's not electable to a higher position.

Yep. Maybe she'll end up in the Senate. But she'll never come out of a Democratic presidential primary. And she'll most certainly never win the general.

People need to understand how badly Congressional Democrats faired in this election and how many of them are blaming the left, including the squad. If you follow AOC on Twitter, you can see how nuts she's going defending herself. And here's why:

Yep. Maybe she'll end up in the Senate. But she'll never come out of a Democratic presidential primary. And she'll most certainly never win the general.

People need to understand how badly Congressional Democrats faired in this election and how many of them are blaming the left, including the squad. If you follow AOC on Twitter, you can see how nuts she's going defending herself. And here's why:

I could see Biden maybe giving her a semi-cushy portfolio in his administration in order to appease the progressive wing of the Democrats.

I could see Biden maybe giving her a semi-cushy portfolio in his administration in order to appease the progressive wing of the Democrats.

She's not getting anything. The last thing Biden needs is an outspoken cabinet member who isn't fully onboard with his agenda.

Also, divided government means they have extremely adept at negotiating. Not something that AOC has demonstrated to be capable of. Mostly, because she isn't willing to compromise.

Back