News   Mar 28, 2024
 91     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Good, it was utterly stupid of the provincial government to even dare touch Rouge Park. I personally don't care much about the other parts he's touching, but touching the park? Big fat no no.
All other Greenbelt areas are important, if not more.

Ok just a bit of clarity here.

First, the proposed weakening/hollowing out of the Greenbelt is appalling public policy; period-full stop.

Second, the Premier didn't propose, nor could he have, changing any land-use inside the National Park. Rather, its that some of the landuse proposal changes would undermine the park, either because they affect upstream tributaries, needed habitat outside park boundaries, or wildlife corridors required for mating/genetic exchange etc.

Third, the Federal government would be on thin ice challenging the entire set of Greenbelt changes, it would be plausible; but I expect Ontario, and other provinces would fight what they perceive to be an over-reach into provincial jurisdiction.
However, protecting the viability of Rouge Park from an ecological perspective is a core federal mandate, and there is already precedent for Federal land-use say beyond National Park boundaries.

That's why we're seeing this particular line of action.

Michael Ford asked to rescind 'disturbing, offensive, and racist' comment about Toronto youth

From link.

Ontario Minister for Citizenship and Multiculturalism and MPP for York - South Weston Michael Ford was called upon Wednesday to rescind a comment made about Toronto youth that some have called “disturbing, offensive, and racist.”

On Wednesday, NDP leader Marit Stiles took to social media to ask Ford, nephew of Ontario Premier Doug Ford, to rescind a recent comment made in a newsletter issued by his office.

The newsletter appears to be marketing Toronto community group Frontlines, a youth charity that offers support programs, mental health support, warm meals, and assistance with homework.
The text on the printout, allegedly written by Ford, reads, “organizations such as Frontlines are crucial to York-South Weston.”

“They have fantastic programs for Youth that will assist them in the future to integrate into society,” it continues, alongside a photo of Ford greeting what appears to be a young Black person.

Stiles took issue with the notion that youth in Toronto would need to learn to “integrate” into society.

“Words matter - and this kind of language about our neighbours isn't okay,” she said. “Making these comments as the Minister for Citizenship and Multiculturalism is especially hurtful.”

Stiles called on Ford to personally rescind the comments.

Shortly after Stiles made the comments, Ford responded on social media.

“I see that different words should have been used,” he began.

A rescission or apology was not offered, but Ford lauded the “incredible” work of Frontlines “to empower and elevate children and youth in York - South Weston.”

“My intention was to showcase their impactful work and the difference they make each and every day,” he concluded.
Stiles wasn’t alone in her outrage. MPP for Toronto - St. Pauls, Dr. Jill Andrew, and former MPP for York - South Weston, Faisal Hassan, also took aim at Ford for the comments.

“‘Integrate’ suggests these outstanding youth are not already invaluable members of society which they are,” Andrew wrote on Twitter. “What are you going to say next time Michael? ‘Assimilate?’”

Andrew did not call on Ford to rescind the comments, but did ask him to consider the impact of his words.

“Apparently [Michael Ford] thinks Frontlines helps youth integrate. What does he mean?” Hassan asked.

“Very disturbing, offensive and racist,” he wrote.
Ford, a member of the Ontario PC party, was elected to represent York-South Weston and appointed Minister of Citizenship and Multiculturalism in June 2022. Prior to that, he sat on Toronto City Council since 2016.

Overreach by the NDP here. Unless they think only POC benefit from organizations like Frontlines?

I tend to concur with @picard102 here.

Though, based on their gallery, I would say Frontlines mostly serves (presumably with no intentional exclusion) PoC.
But I digress.

This is a clear example of why I do not like Marit Stiles. There are so many legitimate reasons to dislike Michael Ford, one hardly needs to insinuate (make up) that there was anything racist here.
He was attempting to laud the work this group does in the community. The word integrate isn't frankly all that wrong, if by that you assume he means to bring people from low-income and otherwise challenging backgrounds to achieve mainstream success (ie. post-secondary attainment, solid income, full-time work etc.) "Integrate" is a bit clumsy; perhaps 'empower' would have been a better choice; but really, Mikey has never been brilliant w/words and there certainlyis no evidence of anything other than poor writing here.

A direct link to the Group in question 'Front Lines' for those who are interested:

Last edited:
Overreach how? It’s not about which political party benefits, it’s about an obnoxious, insensitive, racial toned statement.

See my comments above. I confess, I have trouble getting that much out of what I see as some clumsy wording by an oaf who is not known for his prose.

I really don't see mal-intent or racism. I mean the commentary itself was to praise a group that he sees as doing good work.

See my comments above. I confess, I have trouble getting that much out of what I see as some clumsy wording by an oaf who is not known for his prose.

I really don't see mal-intent or racism. I mean the commentary itself was to praise a group that he sees as doing good work.
I don't see cause for outrage either, just a big nothingburger. Shrill wokeism from the NDP at its worst, and I say that as someone who skews somewhat left and can't stand "Ford Nation".

Ontario to get rid of temporary paid sick days, lift some COVID measures in LTC homes

From link.

The Canadian Press has learned that Ontario will not extend its temporary paid sick day program.

Two senior government sources say the COVID-19 sick day program that provided three paid days off to workers during the pandemic will expire at the end of the month.

The sources say it will not be replaced with another program, but they say the government will continue moving forward with its plan to provide portable health and dental coverage to workers without those benefits.
The sources have been granted anonymity because they are not authorized to reveal details of Thursday's budget, which will mention the end of the sick day program.

The province will also lift some COVID-19 restrictions in long-term care homes beginning March 31.

The province says high vaccination rates among nursing home residents and staff have led the chief medical officer of health to begin easing some measures in a phased approach beginning at the end of the month.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 22, 2023.

Who didn't see this coming?

Ford government cutting back OHIP-covered eye services for some seniors

From link.

OHIP-covered eye services for many people aged 65 and up will be reduced as a result of a new deal between Premier Doug Ford’s government and the Ontario Association of Optometrists.​

It may be a poke in the eye for some seniors.

OHIP-covered eye services for many people aged 65 and up will be reduced as a result of a new deal between Premier Doug Ford’s government and the Ontario Association of Optometrists.

Starting Sept. 1, free annual eye exams paid for through the Ontario Health Insurance Plan will no longer be available to all seniors, Health Minister Sylvia Jones announced Friday.

Only those with “eligible medical conditions affecting their eyes such as macular degeneration, glaucoma or diabetes” will get a yearly checkup.

“Seniors without an eligible medical condition will receive one exam every 18 months,” the government said, adding the change is “based on the best clinical evidence and prioritizes seniors with the highest needs.”

It also puts Ontario in line with provinces like Manitoba and Nova Scotia, which only insure eye exams every 24 months for all seniors.

As well, seniors will be limited to just two minor followup assessments with an optometrist every year. Currently, there’s no limit on such minor assessments.

OHIP coverage of eye exams for people of all ages with cataracts will continue.

Those will uveitis — or inflammation inside the eye — will get expanded services under the changes.

Currently, only those with recurring uveitis are covered, but under the new framework everyone with the condition can get an eye test.

On Sept. 1, there will be also be increased access to eye care for people with chronic diseases such as glaucoma and diabetes.

“The way eye care is delivered has changed over the past decade,” Jones said in a statement touting the accord with the optometrists.

“Together, we were able to come to a long-term and sustainable agreement. Through their OHIP card, people of all ages will continue to be connected to high quality and publicly funded eye care that better reflects the latest best practices and expert advice,” she said.

Dr. Josephine Pepe, president of the optometrists’ organization, expressed satisfaction at the “historic” four-year funding agreement.

“We will be working together to ensure optometrists can continue providing the high-quality access to care that Ontarians deserve, both now and for future generations,” said Pepe.

Starting April 1, optometrists will receive increase payments for some OHIP-insured services and for eye exams for those on social assistance.

Relations between the province and the optometrists, who hadn’t had a new funding arrangement with the government since 2011, have been rancorous in recent years.

In 2021, the optometrists stopped providing OHIP-covered eye exams for children, seniors and social assistance recipients over their long-standing dispute over fees.

They insisted they were being paid $44 for services that cost about $80 to perform.

NDP Leader Marit Stiles blasted the changes.

“Seniors are having a hard enough time right now without having to go longer between eye exams, which are critical to seniors’ health,” said Stiles.

“The Ford government reducing OHIP-covered eye checkups for people 65 and older to every 18 months instead of annually will hurt seniors — preventative eye care is important to catching issues early and could impact seniors’ ability to live independently,” she said.

“Only seniors who can afford to pay out of pocket will be able to get more frequent eye exams. This announcement is yet another example of Doug Ford funnelling money out of our public health care system into private, for-profit care.”

Last edited:

Back