News   Mar 28, 2024
 475     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 316     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 331     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

You mean a very weak coalition headed by Prime minister Stephen Dion...

As Bad as Harper was having PM Dion propped up by the Bloc Separatist during the time of the recession seems like it would been a bigger shit show.

There isn't a more passionate educated Canadian. Stephane Dion, educated, brilliant writer and well versed in Parliamentary laws and rules. Vilified for his command in the English language. I have had the honor of hearing him speak on several occasions about this country and his visions. He should not ever be looked down on for having had the coalition with the Bloc. Or rather his party chose to have a coalition with the Bloc. Michael Ignatiieff is another story. Face it....Ford is the hog farmer who was elected leader under somewhat shady circumstances and is currently shoveling his shit onto Toronto.

There isn't a more passionate educated Canadian. Stephane Dion, educated, brilliant writer and well versed in Parliamentary laws and rules. Vilified for his command in the English language. I have had the honor of hearing him speak on several occasions about this country and his visions. He should not ever be looked down on for having had the coalition with the Bloc. Or rather his party chose to have a coalition with the Bloc. Michael Ignatiieff is another story. Face it....Ford is the hog farmer who was elected leader under somewhat shady circumstances and is currently shoveling his shit onto Toronto.

Issue is Ford still got his party united around him and won the election fair and square. You guys are trying to make it was like a Trump vs Hillary election, but Turnout out was highest in 20 years and he still won with a higher % of the vote then Wynne ever did. I don't buy this narrative he got elected shadily unless you mean the leadership convention.

I don't doubt Dion as being an intelligent man but I think he showed clearly was not a strong traditional leader. In the end, the guy with an image with hardly any substance, Trudeau Jr took the Liberals back to power.

As Bad as Harper was having PM Dion propped up by the Bloc Separatist during the time of the recession seems like it would been a bigger shit show.

Yeah, maybe.....but that doesn't negate the fact that it would have been a true majority government and not a fraud minority rule government.

Robert Benzie's latest tweet:

Bill 31 will not pass this weekend. Under the standing orders it can't even be debated Saturday. Debate could begin Sunday. If government tries to wiggle out of the plowing match break and gets debate Monday and Tuesday -- a big if -- then could pass Wednesday or Thursday. Maybe.

And the case keeps swelling. Now add this one:
Ontario’s disruption of Toronto election could break international law: expert
By Tim Naumetz. Published on Sep 13, 2018 7:05pm i-Politics

A former top aide to two Supreme Court Chief Justices has stirred up legal circles by outlining possible grounds for a court challenge of Ontario’s use of the notwithstanding clause to override a court ruling that struck down a bill cutting Toronto city council by nearly half.

Lawyer Gib van Ert, who was the executive legal officer to Chief Justice Richard Wagner until last month, suggested on his Twitter account that an appeal could be successful by claiming Premier Doug Ford’s move contravenes Canada’s international obligations.

Van Ert’s argument centres on Canada’s obligations under the 1966 UN International Covenance on Civil and Political Rights, which restricts signatory nations from overriding legal and human rights guarantees except when facing dire emergencies that threaten the nation.

The Supreme Court of Canada has said “the Charter should be presumed to provide at least as great a level of protection as found in the international human rights documents that Canada has ratified,” van Ert said in his Twitter thread.

Van Ert, who was also executive legal officer to former Supreme Court chief justice Beverley McLachlin, cited a history of federal government and court statements on the notwithstanding clause that Ford and his government have used to force massive changes to the Toronto’s ward system in the middle of a civic election.

“So, the argument is there to be made,” van Ert, an expert on international human rights, said in his final tweet on the topic. “Whether a court would accept it, who knows? But if s. 33 isn’t limited in this way, it is probably contrary to international law.”
[...]
upload_2018-9-13_22-57-21.png
https://ipolitics.ca/2018/09/13/ont...lection-could-break-international-law-expert/

See:
https://twitter.com/gibvanert?lang=en

Addendum: I'm not an attorney, so can't see all ends of this (but still a hell of a lot more than Ford, Caroline et al can...which isn't hard evidently) but the more legal doubt on the acceptability of Ford's case (and it doesn't even have to have a decision yet, just momentum towards a judgement) the more the L-G will be compelled to NOT sign this into Law, until the Law is signed into it! She's going to want a Superior Court judgement, or higher, before signing this.

Bit of a guess here: Applications have already been made, or are being prepared as we type and read, for a special session of Superior Court to reopen and widen the case Belobaba has already judged, or if not that, a new case that is so sophisticated and detailed, it really will demand an Injunction this time. And be granted...

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-13_22-57-21.png
    upload_2018-9-13_22-57-21.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
I find this obsession with imposing their will on Toronto to be rather psychologically dodgy. Emergency sessions on Saturdays? Notwithstanding clause?
Yo.....is there a war going on I don't know about? (Other than a war on reason...I'm aware of that one).
What's the emergency?
Who is going to die if we don't have 25 councillors after this election?

I know Minister Elliott doesn't give a toss about mental health, but maybe she should start.....her homies are a bit maladjusted, it seems.

What are foreigners thinking of us right now?

Saudi Arabia, what you got?
Duterte, anything?

I'm still waiting for Chrystia Freeland to broadcast her outrage.

Issue is Ford still got his party united around him and won the election fair and square. You guys are trying to make it was like a Trump vs Hillary election,...

Nah, fam, I'm trying to make it more like it was a Putin election (which most of ours are, outcome-wise anyway).

A judge recently blocked a national pipeline from being built because there was not enough consultation which seems like an extremely subjective opinion by the judge and his decision will now drastically shape public policy.

When things are not clear cut like in that case it makes me wonder sometimes does the judiciary sort of dictate policy rather than govt?

The pipeline was shut down because the federal government abrogated its responsibilities to First Nations people and to the lawful framework of Crown-FN relations.
Don't blame the courts for a poorly-timed and foolish nationalisation.

We all largely agree that these decisions are overall for the best as the judiciary has mostly made progressively minded decisions.

I dont have the answers to what is the right balance though of the power of judges vs the govt though.

What?

They have made decisions based on our laws and Constitution. They don't make decisions based on how they feel (ok, aren't supposed to anyway).

The right balance is that the courts uphold the basis for the existence of our society and of our rights and obligations as citizens (the Constitution) and the government follows the law that is the basis for the existence of our society and our rights and obligations as citizens when crafting policy. This isn't difficult algebra.
It's simple af.

Issue is Ford still got his party united around him and won the election fair and square. You guys are trying to make it was like a Trump vs Hillary election, but Turnout out was highest in 20 years and he still won with a higher % of the vote then Wynne ever did. I don't buy this narrative he got elected shadily unless you mean the leadership convention.

I don't doubt Dion as being an intelligent man but I think he showed clearly was not a strong traditional leader. In the end, the guy with an image with hardly any substance, Trudeau Jr took the Liberals back to power.

For now Ford has his MPP's nod and say yes, as they like their paycheck and position in life, but for how long? Ford got elected leader under shady circumstances, Brown will still have his day in court, I first believed the allegations against him, but hearing the whispers I am inclined to take em with a grain of salt and it was part of the coup d'etat from party members ridding themself of a weak candidate and leader. Make no mistake, there is nothing honest about Doug Ford and he's not for the people, he's in it for his glory.

I'm off to harvesfestival.org for a few to reconnect with the beauty of the universe, hopefully the place is still standing when I get back. I mean, they're not going to try to take away our freedom of assembly in the next day or two, are they?

So what is it with this international plowing match? If having a 25 member council is important enough to Ford to use the NW clause, but they're all still heading to the plowing match instead of working to pass this bill, it must be a pretty bid deal....

Also, when I went to google "international plowing match", it was the second option after typing the word "international", so I can't be the only one wondering this.

For me, I'm fine with reducing the size of council, and hold hope that it will result in some efficiencies or productivity at City Hall. Time will tell is this was ill-placed faith on my part.

But more importantly, I want to know where our Attorney General is. The Premier's position of I'm more legit than then courts is untenable. The AG should have publicly announced that the courts are an equal partner in our democracy. We need an AG with chutzpah, not one that sheepishly acquiescences to whatever her boss says. Mulroney's dad stood down tyrants during the Cold War, surely there's some of that Irish blood in the AG?

Marie Henein says it best....

Doug Ford, no power grab is worth undermining Canada’s solid foundation
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...ower-grab-is-worth-undermining-canadas-solid/

Last edited:

So, the ends justifies the means if you like it (though at 9, I am not sure if you did back then).

Issue is Ford still got his party united around him and won the election fair and square.

The election proper, yes. The selection as party leader (and a significant portion of his MPPs) - I am not so sure about that.

AoD

Back