News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 328     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 686     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

To take a brief turn back to population/immigration and of course, its impacts on housing. The numbers from 2022 are now in and they smashed even the high-end estimates for growth.

1679582324151.png

Also:

In 2022, Canada welcomed 437,180 immigrants and had a net increase of 607,782 non-permanent residents.

The latter number includes Foreign Students and TFWs.

Repeating an 'if true' caveat,....

G&M had two sources with intimate knowledge of the conservation. Unless those sources were the Chinese diplomats or Dong himself, the agency that was likely involved is not the one that people usually think about when they say Canadian intelligence....

Also, given that Canadian intelligence isn't allowed to spy on Canadians unless incidental to collection, it means that he got caught talking to somebody that agency had under surveillance.

Seems less like one whistleblower and more like a whole section of our intelligence community knew about this guy.

He put on quite the performance during his resignation speech, complete with a torrent of crocodile tears.

I'm sure he's sorry he got caught.

I hope the investigation goes on. Just remember that CSIS said interference was across our political spectrum, at multiple levels of government. Way too easy to just pin this on the LPC.

Ahead of the respective provincial and federal budgets, I've been giving the economic forecasts for this year some thought.

Consensus forecasts from a few months back had Ontario growing at only 0.3% this year.

But Ontario's population is due to surge by more than 2.5%.

Mathematically, that seems hard to square to me.

If growth were otherwise flat, a 2.5% increase in population should increase economic growth by about the same.

If we measured Real GDP per capita that's a different story; but on gross GDP, the numbers should come close to following inflation factored with population growth (ideally exceeding these w/productivity growth, but I digress).

To get near zero growth overall, while sustaining that level of population growth would suggest a pretty serious contraction in GDP per capita.

Hmmm.

Last edited:
G&M had two sources with intimate knowledge of the conservation. Unless those sources were the Chinese diplomats or Dong himself, the agency that was likely involved is not the one that people usually think about when they say Canadian intelligence....

Also, given that Canadian intelligence isn't allowed to spy on Canadians unless incidental to collection, it means that he got caught talking to somebody that agency had under surveillance.

Seems less like one whistleblower and more like a whole section of our intelligence community knew about this guy.

I'm sure he's sorry he got caught.

I hope the investigation goes on. Just remember that CSIS said interference was across our political spectrum, at multiple levels of government. Way too easy to just pin this on the LPC.
It's quite hard to see who (apart from the Conservatives) benefits from this story. Why would the Chinese leak it? Why would Dong leak it? CSIS (and RCMP) is hardly a very reliable source 'weapons of mass destruction, anyone? Clearly it DOES need to be investigated but I am quite skeptical we know everything (or ever will).

It's quite hard to see who (apart from the Conservatives) benefits from this story. Why would the Chinese leak it? Why would Dong leak it? CSIS (and RCMP) is hardly a very reliable source 'weapons of mass destruction, anyone? Clearly it DOES need to be investigated but I am quite skeptical we know everything (or ever will).
Your point may have merit but I'm certainly missing the connection between CSIS/RCMP and WMD. Airing anything publicly that is flows from intelligence sources is always going to problematic. Making a case criminally even harder. Even the US struggles with this despite, in my opinion, a stronger national security congressional oversight system. Agencies such as the CIA, NSA, etc. don't do a lot of court appearances.

Issue: Why has Roxham Road not been shut down yet, or an legal alternative provided for illegal migrants? Why has this issue essentially been in stasis for so long?
Well, later is better than never.

If you want to emigrate to Canada you do what my family did in the 1970s, apply in your country of origin. If you’re fleeing persecution and need to make a UN refugee claim, you do that at the first signatory country to arrive at.

Last edited:
Well, later is better than never.

If you want to emigrate to Canada you do what my family did in the 1970s, apply in your country of origin. If you’re fleeing persecution and need to make a UN refugee claim, you do that at the first signatory country to arrive at.

The government has been housing migrants in hotels all over Ontario. Thousands of them were sent to Niagara Falls hotels recently.

Niagara's busy season is right around the corner as well. Having all these hotel rooms tied up, could hurt Niagara's tourism sector.

Niagara Falls, Ont., to ask Ottawa about its possible cap on number of hotel rooms for asylum seekers​

Quitto Maggi (the CEO of Mainstreet Reseach) is not someone for whom I have deep trust. But now and again he says interesting things, and sometimes those things have substance behind them, or at least a purpose worth taking
note of....

He launched a Twitter thread (or series of them) a couple of days back in which he suggests that the Han Dong story might be mostly or entirely made up. Its worth a read...

1679923735784.png

Scroll down to the 24th then read back up:

Back