News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 609     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

It should be good news for centrists though. Bernier roots out the far right libertarian and theocratic electorate and leaves Scheer with the moderates. It makes the CPC more marketable to a broader segment of the population in effect. This could work to siphon away Blue Liberals from Trudeau.

What? Theocratic electorate won't find anything they might hope to in Bernier's new party, unless they plan on keeping their theocratic tendencies to themselves.

As for, far right libertarian....what does that mean, really? Is the opposite far left libertarian? What does that mean?

What? Theocratic electorate won't find anything they might hope to in Bernier's new party, unless they plan on keeping their theocratic tendencies to themselves.

As for, far right libertarian....what does that mean, really? Is the opposite far left libertarian? What does that mean?

There is such a thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-libertarianism

I agree though....any religious/social conservative who votes for Bernier is going to be very disappointed. That's not what he is at all.

It should be good news for centrists though. Bernier roots out the far right libertarian and theocratic electorate and leaves Scheer with the moderates. It makes the CPC more marketable to a broader segment of the population in effect. This could work to siphon away Blue Liberals from Trudeau.

Scheer is a SoCon and the CPC is hardly a party for moderates or centrists.

I agree though....any religious/social conservative who votes for Bernier is going to be very disappointed. That's not what he is at all.

Yes, Bernier is quite supportive of LGBT rights, so some religious SoCon probably wouldn't like him.

There is such a thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-libertarianism

Yeah, so, in that article it states that among left libertarian groups are anarchists, which would be about as far as you could go, I'd imagine. Meaning that their opposite on the right would be an oxymoronic term implying some sort of authoritarian libertarianism.
So, I still don't know what Hopkins123 is talking about in the context of the Beauce Boyz when he says it will attract far-right libertarians.

So, all I can discern is that left-libertarians and right-libertarians differ in their approach to ownership, or lack thereof of natural resources.

Is that it, @Hopkins123 ?

As for the point about the extremists trying to find a home in Bernier's party: I reckon that we'll see a bunch of internet wailing about how he's a fraud from those very same people after they realise that their extremism is unwanted in the new party.

Yes, Bernier is quite supportive of LGBT rights, so some religious SoCon probably wouldn't like him.

...and abortions

He's supportive of all individual rights, like any true liberal.

This includes sexuality, self-identity, self-responsibility, etc.
SoCon's wouldn't like him because he's against the war on drugs, too.*

* I don't know this for a fact, and am assuming it based on what I've heard from him and the way he's presented his beliefs in interviews.

I'm telling you....do any of you really think I'd be interested in what he had to say if this party stood for keeping people down? Or if it stood for some sort of moral absolutism?

Yeah, so, in that article it states that among left libertarian groups are anarchists, which would be about as far as you could go, I'd imagine. Meaning that their opposite on the right would be an oxymoronic term implying some sort of authoritarian libertarianism.
So, I still don't know what Hopkins123 is talking about in the context of the Beauce Boyz when he says it will attract far-right libertarians.

So, all I can discern is that left-libertarians and right-libertarians differ in their approach to ownership, or lack thereof of natural resources.

Is that it, @Hopkins123 ?

As for the point about the extremists trying to find a home in Bernier's party: I reckon that we'll see a bunch of internet wailing about how he's a fraud from those very same people after they realise that their extremism is unwanted in the new party.

Well, Ron Paul is considered far-right even though his policies probably were to the Left of Obama, so it depends on your definition of "libertarianism".

I know those "Don't Thread On Me" types tend to be more on the anti-immigrant, anti-labour xenophobic spectrum, and I think that's the segment of the population gravitating towards Bernier and away from the conventional CPC and Scheer.

Infrastructure Bank tapped Ottawa for millions in funding - with only one project on its plate

The two requests amount to $11,366,000 to pay for salaries and compensation, administration, legal services, travel, communications, IT and other professional services. In August 2017, the bank also asked Ottawa for $1,381,000 to cover capital expenses

It's all getting off to a slow start, though. The only project the Canada Infrastructure Bank has announced so far — a $6 billion electric rail system in Montreal — was in the works long before the bank itself came along.

"We may find out at some point that this turns out to be an absolute boondoggle. Or it may actually be something that works well," he said. "I'm thinking more the former than the latter."

Well, Ron Paul is considered far-right even though his policies probably were to the Left of Obama, so it depends on your definition of "libertarianism".

I know those "Don't Thread On Me" types tend to be more on the anti-immigrant, anti-labour xenophobic spectrum, and I think that's the segment of the population gravitating towards Bernier and away from the conventional CPC and Scheer.

Well, libertarianism concerns itself with the freedom of the individual, simply put.

I think there are just as many "don't tread on me" types that are not anti-immigrant and xenophobic. I mean, I'm not, and neither are most of my friends (and, yes, I do tend to roll with a bunch of libertarians of varying degrees of seriousness, insofar as my closest friends are concerned).

What does "anti-labour" mean in this context? One can't be a true libertarian whilst acting in oppressive ways against others. True libertarianism respects everyone's rights and freedoms.

I think the type you're thinking of aren't actually libertarians at all. Not in the true sense of being concerned with the universality of the rights of the individual. They're more just self-involved anti-authoritarians.

Rand Paul is considered "libertarian," but he is basically just another evangelical SoCon who is now using Kremlin talking points.

On topic, those rogue Bloc MP's just rejoined the party.

Last edited:
Hardly a reassuring sign- this will only continue to fuel nativist sentiments.

Canada has removed only 6 of 900 asylum seekers facing U.S. deportation
Newly released figures show Canadian officials have removed only a handful of the hundreds of irregular migrants who arrived in Canada while they were already facing deportation orders from the United States.
Meanwhile, the overall number of irregular migrants who have been deported or removed from Canada also remains low.

Since early 2017, more than 34,000 asylum seekers have crossed into Canada through unofficial points. To date, only 398 — or about one per cent — have been removed.
As for why the number of removals remains so low, Blair said that border officials can only remove failed refugee claimants after they have exhausted all legal options available to try for refugee status. These options include applications to the Immigration and Refugee Board, appeals and other administrative measures.
Conservative immigration critic Michelle Rempel says she believes the numbers suggest Canada's asylum system is being heavily backlogged by people who are not legitimate refugees.

The extensive processing backlog that exists for refugee claims is creating an incentive for people looking to take advantage of Canada's refugee system, knowing they could face wait an average of 20 months before their refugee claims are processed, Rempel says.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/blair-apology-asylum-seekers-1.4836471[/QUOTE]

20 months + all the appeals is plenty of time of migrants to have a kid or two/find a 'lover' and plead on humanitarian grounds for the sake of their children/sexual orientation...

Last edited:
Rempel is a raving loon at this point. Anyone who dares to question her gets blocked on Twitter.

That's not a response to why the Liberal government is continuing to fail in deporting failed asylum applicants or processing the huge backlog of migrants. I seriously think the Liberals need to deal with this, as immigration could blow up as an election issue in 2019.

People have had faith in Canada's immigration system as it seemed to 'work' (aka it's not like the US's mess)- to see it fail like this will likely harden opinions against immigration.

I suppose you’re right, though it seems odd to conflate legal immigration with illegal border crossing. Legal immigrants follow the rules and are generally selected for their potential contribution to Canada or family ties here. It would be a shame if public opinion turned against them because the Trudeau government claims it has no power to secure our border against people who cross illegally, and - let’s face it - will stay here permanently.

Last edited:
It's largely because the immigration system handles both legal and illegal applications- and it is surprisingly easy to conflate failure of one component to failure in the entire system (notwithstanding people gaming the legal system itself, or the opposition some people already have to legal migration). It's how people always say that legal immigrants get pulled into the fray by both sides of the argument despite going through the system legally.

And yes, I also believe that these people will be here for years to come (especially if the Star makes a fuss out of every deportation/detention) and the Liberals see this as a way of boosting their electoral vote (let's be honest, altruism only goes so far, considering the fate of electoral reform).

Last edited:

Back