News   Mar 28, 2024
 113     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

Yes, my sister flew in from Israel/West Bank -- in route to Ottawa. She figured that the train would take her to Ottawa in a reasonable amount of time. 10 hours later, they were dragged into Ottawa, after the train broke down -- then deciding that buses were going to take them the rest of the way -- had people drag their luggage off the plane (without help - and with back problems - so she was paying for assistance from VIA for getting the luggage on) -- then decided they could not get the buses -- so they reboarded the train (no airconditioning, failing toilets) then waiting to be dragged into Ottawa ....
Well, that is an unusual experience though. I've taken the train from Union to Ottawa at least twenty times since the early 1990s for school and work, and always thoroughly enjoyed the trip, which averaged about 4 1/2 hours each way. Now, over four hours to travel 465 km by rail is not rocket speed, but there are almost a dozen stops in between.

I would say it was a fluke, but I have had the same thing happen to me as well (a few years earlier at Christmas time). I still take the train though. I still prefer it over flying to Ottawa or Montreal... I would prefer it more if you were able to check your larger luggage - or even have it delivered locally for an extra surcharge.

Ironically the best thing for the Pickering lands could be a continuation of the status quo - federal ownership leased to farmers - with some improvements to allow existing buildings to be occupied and not left to decay. The airport would be a disaster but so would selling off the lands as developers would inevitably get their cookie cutters out.

With two substantial nuclear installations in the east GTA, it's probably not the best idea to be developing an airport too near there anyway.

Pearson off to a good start in 2008

Attention News Editors:

Only 2 Weeks into 2008 and GTAA Welcomes 1 Millionth Passenger

TORONTO, Jan. 14 /CNW/ - Only two weeks into 2008 and the Greater Toronto
Airports Authority (GTAA) welcomed Toronto Pearson's one millionth passenger.

Dr. Weiping Huang arrived on Air Canada flight 032 from Beijing at 2:45
this afternoon in Terminal 1. "We are very excited to mark the occasion of
one million passengers so early in the year," said Howard Bohan, Vice
President, Operations and Customer Experience. "This shows just how busy
Toronto Pearson is, the importance of the Airport to keep this Region's
economy moving, and reinforces the tremendous value of having new and
efficient facilities to deal with this incredible demand."
A great deal of credit and thanks must be extended to employees of the
GTAA, airlines, and various government agencies that work hard to ensure the
airport is run smoothly.
As the one millionth passenger of the year, Dr. Huang was given one free
year of valet parking service at the Airport as well as 10 complimentary
parking day passes.
Dr. Huang was very pleased to be Toronto Pearson's 1 millionth passenger
this year. "I travel all over the world and I always enjoy coming back through
Pearson. The new facilities here are wonderful and it's a very enjoyable
experience," commented Dr. Huang on arrival at Terminal 1 this afternoon.
The GTAA is the non-share company that operates Toronto Pearson. All
revenue generated by the GTAA is reinvested back into the airport. In 2006,
31 million passengers travelled through Toronto Pearson. Preliminary passenger
numbers for 2007 will be available very shortly. From Toronto, passengers can
reach 76 same-plane international destinations, 28 non-stop Canadian
destinations and 49 non-stop destinations in the United States.

I read somewhere that there 32 million riders for 2007

Needs assessment study is finally out! the executive summary is online

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/ontario/pickeringstudy.htm

In conclusion, the Pickering Lands Needs Assessment Study (2010) finds that an additional airport will be needed within the Greater Golden Horseshoe to accommodate traffic growth, but it is not expected to be required before 2027 and possibly not before 2037. It also concludes that the Pickering Lands site offers a unique opportunity to meet the long-term aviation needs of the Greater Golden Horseshoe. The Study notes that it is prudent planning to retain and protect the site, thereby preserving the option of building an airport, if and when required.

Ironically the best thing for the Pickering lands could be a continuation of the status quo - federal ownership leased to farmers - with some improvements to allow existing buildings to be occupied and not left to decay. The airport would be a disaster but so would selling off the lands as developers would inevitably get their cookie cutters out.

With two substantial nuclear installations in the east GTA, it's probably not the best idea to be developing an airport too near there anyway.

I honestly think this is the best we can hope for dowlingm, and as stated it report, there are plans to continue holding that land and with the need for the airport past a 15-year horizon, I have no doubts that it will remain unbuilt.

On a side note, would it be prudent for Metrolinx to absorb the GTAA? I could see it as a cost-saving measure and as a means for all agencies to think more holistically when considering transportation alternatives. If only we could do the same with the misnomer knows as the MTO (ministry of highways).

Last edited:
They will continue to hold that land until an airport is required or deemed unlikely to ever be required. Only if air travel shows signs of a trend of decrease will they consider other uses for the land. Maybe with higher oil prices, aircraft the size of the A380 and larger, and a future high speed rail system the need for the airport would diminish.

Controversial Toronto-area airport plan may soon take flight

The federal government is revisiting a contentious decades-old plan to build a new airport northeast of Toronto under a scenario that could also see explosive growth at airports in Hamilton and Waterloo.

A Transport Canada study released Monday found that the Greater Golden Horseshoe – a sprawling conurbation centred on Toronto – will likely require another airport in 16 to 26 years’ time and determined a rural site 50 kilometres northeast of Toronto in Pickering, Ont., would be a good fit.

The government expropriated 7,530 hectares of land at the site in 1972 in anticipation of a new airport. However, the facility was never built and the government opted instead to expand and upgrade Lester B. Pearson International, the country's busiest air hub.

Under the scenarios envisioned by the study, Pearson will likely reach a maximum capacity of 54 million to 60 million passengers annually between 2027 and 2037, up from 32 million now. Meanwhile, John C. Munro International airport in Hamilton and Waterloo International Airport could see as many as 10.5 million and 6.9 million annual passengers, respectively – exponential increases, given that both airports currently serve a combined total of just 500,000 people every year.

More.....http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ort-plan-may-soon-take-flight/article2094266/

Back