News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Ottawa: Parliament Hill and Block 2

Stage 2:
  • Diamond Schmitt Architects (Toronto, Canada) in joint venture with Bjarke Ingels Group (New York, United States), KWC Architects (Ottawa, Canada) and ERA Architects (Toronto, Canada)
  • NEUF Architects (Ottawa, Canada) in joint venture with Renzo Piano Building Workshop (Paris, France)
  • Provencher Roy + Associés Architectes Inc. (Montréal, Canada)
  • Watson MacEwen Teramura Architects (Ottawa, Canada) in joint venture with Behnisch Architekten (Boston, United States)
  • Wilkinson Eyre (London, United Kingdom) in association with IDEA Inc. (Ottawa, Canada)
  • Zeidler Architecture Inc. (Toronto, Canada) in association with David Chipperfield Architects (London, United Kingdom)

AoD

CBC with a story and images of the finalist concepts:

From the above:

1650439006700.png

1650439042005.png

1650439059941.png

1650439082540.png

1650439111026.png

1650439138293.png

Surprised no one followed up - Zeidler/David Chipperfield is the winner.

AoD

Surprised no one followed up - Zeidler/David Chipperfield is the winner.

AoD

No one even commented on the renders I posted above. This section of the forum gets to little attention to get attention, LOL.

No one even commented on the renders I posted above. This section of the forum gets to little attention to get attention, LOL.
None of them IMO are really all that inspiring for said space, and are rather demure in comparison to the heritage elements around them.

Ultimately the project is tricky because there almost is a unconscious call for the creation of a better ceremonial approach and the fixing of the Parliament Hill view axis, but the project brief prevents it from happening.

Likewise, I think that a more 'traditionally-minded' design may have also worked, but it goes against the international prerogative of the modern Canadian government (which is why I doubt the Parliament Judicial Triad around the Supreme Court will ever be completed).

Last edited:
The Wilkinson Eyre proposal was an easy favourite for me with its confident, well proportioned and tasteful massing and engaging cladding. The Y columns at ground level also evoke the vaulted ceilings of Ottawa's iconic Gothic Revival buildings, creating a pleasant harmony between new and old in the cityscape.

The Zeidler design distastefully meets the street with a blank wall and some trees that probably won't grow well. I agree that a more traditionalist approach could have resulted in greatness here.

Back