News   Apr 19, 2024
 33     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 517     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Ossington

Hardware store at 172 Ossington Ave is proposed to become "IDK Social Bar". Some commentary from a local resident rep:
The irony of it all is that Ossington could use something akin to a proper club. Also, those horrible townhomes should have never been allowed. Not only do they kill the streetwall, but they are also ugly and filled with NIMBYs.

The irony of it all is that Ossington could use something akin to a proper club. Also, those horrible townhomes should have never been allowed. Not only do they kill the streetwall, but they are also ugly and filled with NIMBYs.
To be fair though, I think those were built before Ossington developed the vibrant scene that it's known for, and was just a crummy dump at the time.

I'm a bit confused by the vitriol locals are throwing at this new bar - the street is already lined with them, and the strip gets very crowded at night on weekends, especially in summer, for many years now. This is just more of the same, so what's the deal?

I'm not commenting here on the fairness; but beyond generic Nimby stuff, I gather:

The fact that the application puts commercial 'resto?' space on the second floor above grade is getting attention. (applicant says this will be a private dining area)

The fact the community didn't get notice and CofA is no longer appealable has some people's shorts in a knot.

There is some cumulative concern around the existing strip's busy-ness on weekends w/parking/traffic/noise and litter being noted as concerns.

Finally, there is strong suspicion by some that this is more club than resto, and there is an expressed worry that this may be a precedent and that the much diminished club land of downtown west (nee Entertainment District) will now shift west and reappear on Ossington.

I'm not commenting here on the fairness; but beyond generic Nimby stuff, I gather:

The fact that the application puts commercial 'resto?' space on the second floor above grade is getting attention. (applicant says this will be a private dining area)

The fact the community didn't get notice and CofA is no longer appealable has some people's shorts in a knot.

There is some cumulative concern around the existing strip's busy-ness on weekends w/parking/traffic/noise and litter being noted as concerns.

Finally, there is strong suspicion by some that this is more club than resto, and there is an expressed worry that this may be a precedent and that the much diminished club land of downtown west (nee Entertainment District) will now shift west and reappear on Ossington.
The busy Ossington strip is only the short distance between Queen and Dundas, and I can't imagine there's much existing built form that could accommodate an influx of clubs much beyond what already exists as the street is lined with small scale heritage buildings. I could be wrong of course, but I suspect the local's fear that Clubland will take hold here is likely exaggerated.

Back