Toronto Rail Deck District | 227.23m | 70s | Craft Dev Corp | Sweeny &Co

Unless the municipal government can manage to turn it into election issues for higher order governments, it's going to be very tough to raise funding. If they can publicly start talking about putting up $400 M themselves and wanting that much each from the province and the feds, if they're successful they''ll have $1.2 B to kick it off, and that cold provide some substantial new park space.

If they bungle the election issue thing, and it doesn't become a promise from the various political parties, then they might as well rename it Bicentennial Park and put the $400 M into Apple stock so they'll have enough in 40 years to open it in '67.

Meh, ya may need to change investment advisors @interchange42 :p that's only 5.3% ROI over the last 3 years based on share price. (per annum)

If you factor in the dividend (less than inflation at 1.5%) you're still only at 6.7% per annum.

By contrast, National Bank would have netted you close to 18% per annum in the same period.

Bye bye ORCA project
You would have blocked my view, cast shadows to my unit, add tons of traffic to the neighborhood
No loss there

Bye bye ORCA project
You would have blocked my view, cast shadows to my unit, add tons of traffic to the neighborhood
No loss there

I'm not so certain this saga is over yet. The hearing for the application still has to occur, and the Tribunal didn't rule in this decision that a park would be the ONLY plan that is consistent with the PPS/Growth Plan- just that the City's amendment is, and is therefore valid.

Point for: I think you guys are underestimating the fact that John Tory needs a legacy project for his timid status quo mayoralty.

Point against: ain't no provincial funding coming for this project.
Point against: John Tory is the ultimate status quo mayor, and he doesn't really care whether or this ever makes it off the drawing board

Point for: I think you guys are underestimating the fact that John Tory needs a legacy project for his timid status quo mayoralty.
His legacy (at least as of now) is "I was not Rob Ford" Though that is certainly true, the problem is that he COULD be SO much better if he was a bit more ambitious and (if necessary) prepared to raise our low property taxes to pay for infrastructure!

His legacy is that he was a "nice guy". To be fair- the position is not one where it is easy to make a significant impact (aside from embarrassing yourself, city and country by being obnoxious, spectacularly uninformed and/or a crack user).

i guess you will be hearing locomotives, smelling diesel; and looking at these derelict rail lands for the rest of your life
No I'm fine cause I'm a block away and the trains are barely noticeable. The drunk girls on the weekends are louder than the trains so it's never been an issue at all
These towers would have casted shadows and block the views of ALL buildings between King and Front (Spadina to Bathurst) so I'd rather it be train than those towers.
Option #1 is we get park of course.

Haha, lets be realistic, this park will not be built in our lifetime if not partner with the private sector
id hate to hear that the city has now the 400 million bucks towards this Rail Deck Park and in 25 years it's still at a standstill

The private sector has done wonders for the city. I'd rather have the vision than a compromised subdivision of towers with unsatisfactory public space with the city probably still on the hook for more than half of the bill. (and I realize I may never live to see it) All of this just to get it built tomorrow. All these cities we look up to and yet we don't follow their example. They plan for decades sometimes instead of rushing it through compromises.

Moshe Safdie is now attached to the project:

3feww.jpg
32ewdw.jpg
rfde.jpg
rvvff.jpg
wvwes.jpg
wqcs.jpg
wecsqw.jpg
vasw.jpg

Well, I certainly quite like that Galleria-Pedestrian tunnel proposed.

Good reminder that we are a winter-city, rail-deck park or not, and that Galleria would make an excellent addition to the PATH network.

That being said, allowing development on the site quite clearly compromises the ability of this park to serve as a major park. It becomes more of an area for condo residents to relieve their dogs than something that the entire city could enjoy.

Back