News   Mar 28, 2024
 923     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 529     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

Orangeville-Brampton Railway (OBRY)

^I don't have any first hand knowledge of this incident, and I won't comment on it - except to note that the news has travelled so far and fast through the railfan grapevine that in the absence of a TSB report, I would not trust anyone's description of it since "broken telephone" may have set in. (No disrespect meant to the posters quoted, all of whom I know personally and respect).

What is more relevant is - just because a rail line has potential as a tourist railway does not imply that the line is economically justifiable. Few tourist or museum railways can cover the full long term cost of maintaining a line their out of their ticket sales. Either somebody subsidises the track work and property costs, or there has to be freight revenue to support the line.

In the case of OBRY, the track maintenance required was considerable. Enabling a tourist railway is only a consideration once the freight side can sustain itself. Kill the freight, and the tourist line goes down with it.... but freight is the horse, not the cart.

- Paul

Last edited:
The route through Brampton is disfunctional because a) potential connectivity to the Kitchener or Milton corridors is poor and b) the segment through Forks of Credit is not conducive to a speedy passenger rail service. So it should not be seen as the "better way", it's merely the only way that is (barely) intact. I would have no problem with any new routing

I don't expect that any new or existing routing is going to have sufficient business case value to justify funding. Orangeville is destined to be "off the grid" for a long time.

- Paul
Biggest issue will probably be the bridge crossing the river, who knows what work might need to be done, to make it work for passenger trains.

Last edited:
Biggest issue will probably be the bridge crossing the river, who knows what woek might need to be done, to make it work for passenger trains.
Seeing as the ROW cuts through a Provincial Park and is otherwise in a popular tourism area, I would imagine tweaking the alignment in the Forks area would be met with stiff opposition.

It appears that the last mile of the Owen Sound spur – from Streetsville Junction to Derry Road – will soon disappear.

The last customer for CPKC on the stub of the once-busy Bruce Division has shut down.

Screenshot_2024-02-24_170041.jpg

Screenshot_2024-02-24_170045.jpg

Cool picture here posted in November 2022 showing the former traffic on the line in 1981.

Cool picture here posted in November 2022 showing the former traffic on the line in 1981.

And the Little Yellow Caboose Always Came Last!

For those whose childhood did not inform the reference above:

Rare shot here of the Owen Sound Sub from 1995.

Back