News   Mar 28, 2024
 49     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 539     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 349     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

The daily numbers are high, but they've been pretty flat so far. Unlike other places it doesn't look like we're facing exponential growth yet and I don't understand why.
The R number is pretty close to 1. Cases only go down when we get the number less than 1.

The high rate of infection in Peel is really a story all about Brampton.

The R number is pretty close to 1. Cases only go down when we get the number less than 1.

Understood, but I'm not sure what we're doing differently than places like France which are heading back into lockdown because their infection rates are spiking so fast. It makes me worry that we're going to be seeing our own spike in the not too distant future.

Any difficulty getting the test? I had what might have been bronchitis a few weeks ago and it was nigh-on impossible to get a test once they moved to appointments. They booked up within minutes after 8am.

Only our daughter ended up getting tested because she had direct contact. Booking a time was easy and she was done in 10 minutes.

Understood, but I'm not sure what we're doing differently than places like France which are heading back into lockdown because their infection rates are spiking so fast. It makes me worry that we're going to be seeing our own spike in the not too distant future.
There is a theory that likelihood of and severity of infection are related to climactic factors like humidity or vitamin D levels. Not sure why Europe would have started spiking earlier, but I feel a lot of Europe relaxed distancing more than we did in Ontario over the summer.

Well, some of Europe was literally locked up for weeks. Their initial restrictions were much stricter than ours.

I wouldn't say Brampton alone - there seem to be a major locus of community spread in NW Toronto/GTA in general. I am guessing it is socioeconomic in nature.

AoD
And cultural. Close extended families like to congregate. I’d guess I’m your typical white immigrant from the UK, I see my brothers and their kids perhaps twice a year, my aunts and cousins never, even though they’re all nearby. But we’d still consider ourselves a close family.

I’m concerned about both things. Our testing rate is down giving us over a 4% positivity rate. Not a good sign.

Back