News   Mar 28, 2024
 142     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 242     0 

North Oakville

Memph

Member Bio
Reaction score
Pictures were taken during a bike ride today (Monday, March 22, 2021) between about 5pm and 6:30pm. Weather was approx. 11-14C (51-57F) and sunny.

Isaac Park (attached to St Gregory the Great Catholic School)
47lbVtx.jpg

Shops on Preserve Drive
kMLmzD2.jpg

Walkway along Preserve Pond
GihWEN3.jpg

hKBU6Bn.jpg

Kaitting House Parkette
9pyLsqE.jpg

Shops along George Savage Ave
jO9YP3G.jpg

Hopefully it becomes less dull with age, but maybe that is asking too much.

I think the idea of putting what looks like rear-loaded townhouses on top of ground floor commercial is actually a pretty interesting way of making mixed use development economical in this sort of development. I guess there might be a bit of tension about what types of tenants occupy the commercial spaces depending on noise isolation. Families likely not too keen to live above a noisy restaurant or pub. Google 3D aerial for context:

oakville.PNG

Last edited:
Typical new urbanism. Great scale, relatively pedestrian-friendly, and very dull retail landscape.
Although pretty much the entirety of the Preserve Drive shops are professional offices, dry cleaners and salon/spa businesses, George Savage Drive has a bit more variety, including a small Arabic grocery store that also carries a great variety of European chocolates, a small deli/butcher, a cafe, a flower shop, a cake shop, a yoga studio, a women's clothing store, a small cafe/art gallery, and a music/art school.

George Savage Park

lnhO1w3.jpg

QFwlqAN.jpg

Shops along Carding Mill Trail
THc5aqF.jpg

Some new houses. Although these have front loaded parking, I think that having the house/porch pulled in front of it helps ensure the garages don't dominate the streetscape too much. Very small setbacks too, maybe not even 5 ft from the sidewalk to the porch?
69P50q5.jpg

Unfortunately, the streets are still a bit too wide, I think. Might be better if they raised the street parking slightly and had occasional curb bumpouts with trees, etc. to calm traffic. It would be nice if they contemplated some bike/walking paths separate from streets. Feels like we're getting better. This is much better than typical 1970s/1980s suburbia.

Unfortunately, the streets are still a bit too wide, I think. Might be better if they raised the street parking slightly and had occasional curb bumpouts with trees, etc. to calm traffic. It would be nice if they contemplated some bike/walking paths separate from streets. Feels like we're getting better. This is much better than typical 1970s/1980s suburbia.
These are the off-street paths. Some are along the stormwater retention ponds (ex 3rd & 4th picture in the first post), others are through large parks/school yards, others are mid-block connectors through long blocks, and then there's also some larger paths along creeks and through woodlots.
pg1v82A.jpg

More paths along stormwater retention ponds.
0dM7sfD.jpg

GPKGVel.jpg

Bridge across a small creek (which also has a greenway/path along it).
WUOi7Dg.jpg

Mid-block connections
udztzts.jpg

Path through one of the large parks.
op1qrAV.jpg

udztzts.jpg

This is good, but should use speed tables so cyclists and pedestrians can keep going on a uniform surface and traffic has to slow.
speed-table.png

Back