News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

taal

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's a little early;

Monday, November 8, 2010

Is the official day but anyone willing to take a gander of who it will be. Moreover, who will even run?

Miller still has quite a bit of time left to turn his appearance around ... which by the way I'm not sure if it's bad ... yes in many articles it's portrayed that way but is that what the majority think? Not sure.

Adam Vaughn maybe? He's definitely well known enough to get the votes. Would he be good for Toronto?

ps - I don't think such a thread exists yet but if it does please delete this one, sorry ahead of time.

No more leftist, union loving, idealist morons please.

However no stupid, no sense, idiotic Conservatives either.

A moderate is needed in the city who is fiscal responsible.

No more leftist, union loving, idealist morons please.

However no stupid, no sense, idiotic Conservatives either.

A moderate is needed in the city who is fiscal responsible.

No moronic Conservatives perhaps....but I would love a Conservative mayor for once....someone who would battle the unions and get our closet NDP council focused on the goals of a city council....maintaining/building infrastructure, keep us safe and secure, and delivering essential services. Instead, while we have bursting water mains, council debates whether sports activities should be free for folks on welfare. I hate to sound cold-hearted but that's not the job of city councilors. Those debate should be a luxury when our other challenges have been met.

I strongly suggest everyone read the newsletter that come from CUPE and PSAC. It's an eye-opener into the political views of the folks we trust to provide society's most essential services.

No moronic Conservatives perhaps....but I would love a Conservative mayor for once....someone who would battle the unions and get our closet NDP council focused on the goals of a city council....maintaining/building infrastructure, keep us safe and secure, and delivering essential services. Instead, while we have bursting water mains, council debates whether sports activities should be free for folks on welfare. I hate to sound cold-hearted but that's not the job of city councilors. Those debate should be a luxury when our other challenges have been met.

I strongly suggest everyone read the newsletter that come from CUPE and PSAC. It's an eye-opener into the political views of the folks we trust to provide society's most essential services.

The other challenges will never be met. According to this model, that "luxury" debate will never even happen. In the real world, where perfection in infrastructure doesn't happen and council has to debate both. That's how amidst the talk of sports activities for those on welfare, a plan was put together and approved to upgrade water infrastructure.

It's also rare to hear of a Conservative who's really knowledgeable and passionate about urban living and promoting it. For many it their attitude seems to be "most people drive, so investment in public transit is just a frill, therefore while we think it's a good idea, it's just not justifiable given the tight budget and preference".

The other challenges will never be met. According to this model, that "luxury" debate will never even happen. In the real world, where perfection in infrastructure doesn't happen and council has to debate both. That's how amidst the talk of sports activities for those on welfare, a plan was put together and approved to upgrade water infrastructure.

It's also rare to hear of a Conservative who's really knowledgeable and passionate about urban living and promoting it. For many it their attitude seems to be "most people drive, so investment in public transit is just a frill, therefore while we think it's a good idea, it's just not justifiable given the tight budget and preference".

Maybe not in this country....that's not the experience everywhere....take London's new mayor for example....Also, I would suggest that any Toronto Conservative is likely to be very supportive of transit. Do you know any Torontonian of any political stripe that is opposed to growing transit services? The only debate will be on how and who delivers various services.

I have this feeling that if "Adam Vaughn" runs he'll win!

Not that I support him ... or don't.

Does anyone else agree with me on that?

I think many confuse fiscal conservatism with the likes of Rob Ford.

Those people are just penny pinchers and just want to create a city serving their own needs (suburbs)
Fiscal Conservatism is stoping wasteful spending, find better ways to spend resources and reducing the effects of the unions.

I think a moderate mayor is necessary who will stand up the unions and whole NDP control over city hall which is really hurting the city.

I am not saying we end unions or anything silly like that as all cities have unions, but they are able to easily pay for things. Imo paying someone $20-25 dollars and hour for collecting tokens is absurd.

We need a mayor who is tough and realistic who needs to fix problems of today, instead of idealizing about the future and wasting money trying to create his idealistic vision.

And why would that, be, Hipster Duck? ;)

I'm not crazy on George Smitherman, because he can be very abrasive and not one that would be good to work with or work for. But a tough moderate might be a very good idea. I would like to see someone with ideas and open to them, not a competant, boring manager - that's the City Manager's job. Miller was the right choice in 2003 - John Tory has certainly floundered, Hall would have been worse, and don't forget Jacobek or Nunziata. Against Pitfield, he was also the right choice in 2006. We could do much worse than Miller. He's been okay, he's taken the city in the right direction, but I am starting to have some issues with him, and that really started with the 2007 temper tantrum he pulled about the new taxes being deferred.

We had a conservative buffoon for six years. Lastman couldn't bargain or fight the unions anyway. A bit of spine is needed, but also someone who can work and bargain and negotiate.

Everyone likes Joe Mihevc, but is he a mayoral kind of guy, or is he just a great local councillor? Adam Vaughan is interesting, but picks too many local fights and too much of a gadfly. Mike Clemons is a nice guy with some social talents, but would be the puppet of Godfrey Hall (our Tammany Hall). Smitherman's politics aren't bad, but he's got a temper and be tough to work with. Grafstein and Peacut aren't, in the grand scheme of things, serious contenders. Who's out there that could make a serious, moderate-progressive, bold, contender?

Last edited:
Two words: Bob Rae.

Acceptable to the establishment, but with impeccable progressive credentials. A total Toronto-lover. An extremely skilled politician and campaigner. A tough negotiator. What's not to like?

Two words: Bob Rae.

Acceptable to the establishment, but with impeccable progressive credentials. A total Toronto-lover. An extremely skilled politician and campaigner. A tough negotiator. What's not to like?

A senior federal cabinet seat ranks higher than a mayor, even of Toronto. Otherwise Glen Murray would still be mayor of Winnipeg rather than join Martin's (in retrospect) doomed team.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to a Bob Rae mayoral bid.

To be honest, i wouldn't be that surprised if Miller get's back in if he runs.

Most of the negative image painted the local media I think is not shared by the general public ... at least not to as large of a degree.

Back