News   Sep 27, 2024
 145     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Next mayor of Toronto?

She couldn't even get 30% of the votes in her own ward. If being gay was an issue for smitherman you think someone who helped fund Queers against Israeli apartheid has a chance to win?

To be honest re the 30%, she was running in an open seat with plenty of serious opposition (including her closest challenger, Kyle Rae's endorsed candidate). But given the way she's been going, I doubt it'll be so close next time--indeed, when it comes to anointed potential-mayoral-figures of the urban left, I can see Wong-Tam as the Obama to Adam Vaughan's Hillary. She's less grating, more disarmingly conciliatory, more willing to work around rather than merely oppose (even if the opposition be principled) Ford--and, perhaps, with surprising Miller/Nenshi-ish appeal in ethnoburbia. 2014 may be premature for her; but then, so was 2008 for Obama...

would we have another election in the somewhat likely event our esteemed but extremely zaftig mayor were to suffer a coronary and drop dead during a particularly stressful day at council? or would the deputy mayor just take over for the remainder of his term?

I have a sad feeling it might be Rob Ford.

As long as he's the only hardcore right wing candidate, others may have some trouble making headway if the vote gets split again. Rob Ford supporters are a devoted bunch - no matter what he does, they just mention the gravy train and the discussion is over lol.

Hence the reason why the 'left' needs to plan out its strategy.

There's always the chance that any aspiring ally on Ford's side might decide come election year to abandon Ford and run against him.

would we have another election in the somewhat likely event our esteemed but extremely zaftig mayor were to suffer a coronary and drop dead during a particularly stressful day at council? or would the deputy mayor just take over for the remainder of his term?

Do you mean the official deputy mayor (Doug Holyday is it?) or the unofficial deputy mayor, Doug Ford?

Is there any possibility of his successor to be chosen "from within"? (NB: that's how Michael Prue became East York mayor when David Johnson was elected MPP: a series of ballots and runoffs among the E York councillors led to Prue on top. Sort of like how the Speaker of the House is chosen, too.)

With Rob Ford's impending resignation (I'd think it would be mandatory after how he treated his employees on Monday - in any real world job, he'd be out on the street after calling his employees "bitches") who will run for mayor?

What a joke.. This buffoon needs to be run out of town with torches and pitchforks. He can go to the US and set one of their cities back a decade instead..

Back