News   Mar 28, 2024
 523     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 338     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 347     0 

News from across Europe

As with so many issues globally, political response seems surprisingly, and unacceptably slow.

Here, the most immediate issue is that forecasters foresaw something like this (as in, they literally forecast flood warnings a few days ago), and it seems evacuation orders were issued too sparingly and too late.

Europe is too built up to easily adopt Ontario's approach to removing buildings from the regulatory floodplain, as much of Europe's centuries old buildings are river/lake/oceanside.
Some action can be taken on this file though. Whether that is selective building removal, building berms at riversides, or creating new floodplains in some of the agricultural/natural areas that may be available.
It also means looking at options like prohibiting ground-floor or basement living in the most vulnerable remaining properties, and making sure they are study enough to withstand at least moderate flooding.

That said, the flooding here is exceptional, not merely in volume, but in flow, that kind of power is difficult to mitigate; and that makes the importance of timely evacuations critical.

As with so many issues globally, political response seems surprisingly, and unacceptably slow.

Here, the most immediate issue is that forecasters foresaw something like this (as in, they literally forecast flood warnings a few days ago), and it seems evacuation orders were issued too sparingly and too late.

Europe is too built up to easily adopt Ontario's approach to removing buildings from the regulatory floodplain, as much of Europe's centuries old buildings are river/lake/oceanside.
Some action can be taken on this file though. Whether that is selective building removal, building berms at riversides, or creating new floodplains in some of the agricultural/natural areas that may be available.
It also means looking at options like prohibiting ground-floor or basement living in the most vulnerable remaining properties, and making sure they are study enough to withstand at least moderate flooding.

That said, the flooding here is exceptional, not merely in volume, but in flow, that kind of power is difficult to mitigate; and that makes the importance of timely evacuations critical.

I know someone who moved to New Orleans in 2005. As she once told me, never underestimate the power of water because things can go badly very quickly.

She was one of the people who lost everything in Katrina and no longer waits to leave when things look like they are going south.

Why would anyone believe in government conspiracies? I mean seriously...........

Well..........

1642091703711.png

Apparently that person is being accused of corruption, which would land him in 109 years (!) in jail. I would be skeptical - although that doesn't mean there isn't some grain of truth in it.

Interesting to note is the different approaches Europe and Canada takes towards its independence movements. They suppress them in any way they can, we give the provinces more power when a pro-independence party asks for it.

*That was a gross oversimplification, but it's an avenue I want to explore one day

Apparently that person is being accused of corruption, which would land him in 109 years (!) in jail. I would be skeptical - although that doesn't mean there isn't some grain of truth in it.

Interesting to note is the different approaches Europe and Canada takes towards its independence movements. They suppress them in any way they can, we give the provinces more power when a pro-independence party asks for it.

*That was a gross oversimplification, but it's an avenue I want to explore one day

Well, we did once employ different tactics:

1642108814174.png

At that same link you may notice the RCMP burned down a barn to stop an apparent meeting of the Black Panthers.........

Putin (and his cronies within and without Russia) would have anticipated and planned for the sanctions and stock market collapse.

The West is going to have to do more than tighten Putin’s access to money. Maybe Biden needs to start taking some examples from the Russian playbook, such as cyber warfare and fostering regime change.

Well, considering how notorious London UK is as the playground for the oligarchs - and that a significant number of UK elites have ties to said group...

AoD

Last edited:
Given that it’s Russia, I’m not sure how “public” it is, and given how Russia likes to spew disinformation, it could well be a good tactical move. They have apparently also hacked other official Russian sites.

Given that it’s Russia, I’m not sure how “public” it is, and given how Russia likes to spew disinformation, it could well be a good tactical move. They have apparently also hacked other official Russian sites.

These are public facing websites - so it probably won't do much other than for propaganda value and perhaps some mild inconveniences for those who depend on the information and services they convey. Now knocking out RT, that might be more useful.

AoD

Well, considering how notorious London UK is as the playground for the oligarchs - and that a significant number of UK elites have ties to said group...
True, but I don't think Britain has the yarbles to do what's necessary... which is to lock every single account and asset held by every single non-citizen Russian in the UK. The bycatch will be massive, but this is the necessary step.

True, but I don't think Britain has the yarbles to do what's necessary... which is to lock every single account and asset held by every single non-citizen Russian in the UK. The bycatch will be massive, but this is the necessary step.

You can't really have "the west" at large tighten such groups access to money and at the same time leave one of the most crucial locales of money laundering open for business - that's self-defeating.

AoD

NATO activating its response force, for the first time in its history.

A couple of excerpts from the above:

1645823468846.png

1645823533292.png

* mods* does it make sense to give the Ukrainian invasion its own thread at this point?

Last edited:

Back