News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 568     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 868     0 

Little Italy/College Street

I'm actually very surprised that such a suburban plaza in the heart of a very hip, urban downtown street like College has managed to escape the ever-present Sauron-esque gaze of ravenous developers...

Yeah, it's weird, but if it means the end of Revival then I almost hope it never gets developed.

Why was it ever allowed in the first place? *looks at Gardiner*...oh, nvm

I'm actually very surprised that such a suburban plaza in the heart of a very hip, urban downtown street like College has managed to escape the ever-present Sauron-esque gaze of ravenous developers...

To my understanding, Garrison Creek's brick tunnel is directly underneath the site.

Presumably that would preclude a very deep foundation, but I don't know.

I know the City considered a public square on the parking lot; I believe w/the idea of burying the parking 1/2 a level down, then having the square slightly elevated.

Found a pic of the Garrison Tunnel under College:

1611685086352.png

From: http://www.vanishingpoint.ca/garrison-creek-sewer-history

Yeah, it's weird, but if it means the end of Revival then I almost hope it never gets developed.

Why was it ever allowed in the first place? *looks at Gardiner*...oh, nvm

I went to a couple of events at Revival way back - one was a Rue Morgue Halloween party, and the other I can't remember - maybe a concert or a burlesque show? I love the building, but I hate the ugly, sloppy cement that was poured half-assed into the west facing windows. Zero for effort and execution.

A restaurant called Faim De Loup is opening at College & Dovercourt, where Levetto used to be located

20210306_094142.jpg

While Mannat has opened where Southern Accent used to be at College & Ossington

20210306_094606.jpg

^Correction needed for the above. Faim de Loupe opened roughly one year ago and replaced Levetto, but they have closed now too. The new restaurant going into that spot is a Japanese place called Gonzo Izakaya:

Info about what's happening with Bar Bolo and the Royal Cinema on College:

Toronto's Royal Cinema has been closed since the beginning of the pandemic, and fears about the theatre's future spread today on Twitter after the local Bar Volo announced it would be operating a new location out of the Royal's lobby. Luckily for movie lovers, the Royal Cinema has now clarified that it has not closed down and will be reopening when it is able to do so.

In a statement to Exclaim!, co-owner Dan Peel shared the following statement:

As you know the theatre has not been operating since the middle of March 2020. In order to best utilize some of the venue in today's environment Bar Volo will be operating out of the lobby of the Royal and operating a patio this summer on College Street. Meanwhile the theatre itself has been completely renovated and awaits the time when we can once again open for screenings and live performances.

Bar Volo also clarified the confusion, tweeting that it would be sub-leasing the concession area and lobby but not the auditorium. Bar Volo plans to support the theatre, not replace it. Also, Bar Volo's location in the Royal is permanent and not simply a way to tide the business over until the end of the pandemic.

Back