News   Mar 28, 2024
 51     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Jair Bolsonaro's Brazil

Apparently they are cutting bus service to 25%, enacting a curfew and hoping things get better.

The people in Manaus have pretty much given up hope at this point.

From what I can tell in the international news media Bolsonaro is coming to the rescue but locally they want his head on a pike.

Is there an impeachment mechanism in Brazil?

An english language source might be called for.

I wouldn't celebrate for Brazil either outcome.

1667181916135.jpeg

Yeah, where’s the CIA when you need them these days to thwart Latin American countries choosing leftist leaders?
It was a choice between a Trumpian right wing blow hard and a nominally left wing candidate who formerly spent time in prison for corruption and money laundering.

It was a choice between a Trumpian right wing blow hard and a nominally left wing candidate who formerly spent time in prison for corruption and money laundering.
Good riddance to Bolsonaro. We appear to be living in an age where defeated candidates can expect to be investigated, for better or worse.

I suspect Brasil is a country that would have no eligible politicians if engaging in corruption is a criteria for exclusion.

AoD

I suspect Brasil is a country that would have no eligible politicians if engaging in corruption is a criteria for exclusion.

AoD

I agree.

I have a friend in Curvelo, Minas Gerais who I talk to regularly. She is dismayed by how corrupt the Brazilian government is. She voted for Lula because he was the best of the worst.

That said, Brazil has so much potential *IF* their government got their act together. If it was not so corrupt it could be a major player globally.

I think it is fair to say that probably 99% of politicians in Brazil are corrupt. Brazilian politicians are on another level.

For example: https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/world/2022/10/23/1_6121662.amp.html

"A Brazilian politician attacked federal police officers seeking to arrest him in his home on Sunday, prompting an hours-long siege that caused alarm and a scramble for a response at the highest level of government.

Roberto Jefferson, a former lawmaker and an ally of President Jair Bolsonaro, fired a rifle at police and threw grenades, wounding two officers in the rural municipality Comendador Levy Gasparian, in Rio de Janeiro state"

And this is not really that unusual.

I think it is fair to say that probably 99% of politicians in Brazil are corrupt. Brazilian politicians are on another level.

For example: https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/world/2022/10/23/1_6121662.amp.html

"A Brazilian politician attacked federal police officers seeking to arrest him in his home on Sunday, prompting an hours-long siege that caused alarm and a scramble for a response at the highest level of government.

Roberto Jefferson, a former lawmaker and an ally of President Jair Bolsonaro, fired a rifle at police and threw grenades, wounding two officers in the rural municipality Comendador Levy Gasparian, in Rio de Janeiro state"

And this is not really that unusual.

Just another day at r/ItHadToBeBrazil

On an more serious note - just how do you clean up a country where corruption is almost a way of life/doing things? No one's hands are clean - so no one can claim the high ground and put forth the argument that they are the ones to lead that change. It's almost like a crisis of legitimacy.

AoD

Just another day at r/ItHadToBeBrazil

On an more serious note - just how do you clean up a country where corruption is almost a way of life/doing things? No one's hands are clean - so no one can claim the high ground and put forth the argument that they are the ones to lead that change. It's almost like a crisis of legitimacy.

AoD
Typically governments with so much corruption end up turning into essentially criminal organizations (i.e. Russia).

After that they become failed states.
Or Revolution.

Back