News   Apr 19, 2024
 151     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 834     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.9K     2 

Is Ford Nation's support among diverse demographics something rare in most cities/countries?

Speaking of which, in an alternate reality, if Rob Ford were to be running for mayor in a major American city, how would it differ?

In that light, ethnicity aside, I was thinking of a certain "Rubio vs Trump" quality to where John Tory and Doug Ford got their respective strengths...

Councillor John Filion says Trump Nation and Ford Nation are "the same people." Definitely parallels between the Fords and Trump (rich businessmen, politically incorrect buffoons etc.), though Ford had high support from immigrants and nonwhites while Trump makes more explicit appeals to racism and has an almost all-white base.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ion-they-are-the-same-people/article31036355/

Considering what the support base of Trump Nation is like, I stand by my original observation that Ford Nation is still the most multi-racial/ethnic coalition yet I've ever seen or heard of that's considered to be on the right. Though Ford said racially charged things, nonetheless, working class visible minorities still stood by him, which is far, far more than can be said for Trump.

On the left, however there were many attempts historically to try to make coalitions of those who were disadvantaged or marginalized by either, or both, race and class lines (for example, the Chicago-based Rainbow Coalition associated with Jesse Jackson), but these coalitions have not really held up well. Bernie Sanders' campaign couldn't really make a coalition between working class whites and working class minorities despite somewhat of a push to attract the support of the latter later in the game.

Back