News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Not much action, but nice to hear something is happening!

Well don't expect much, because the project is on hold due to insufficient funding. They have currently secured $43M from the Province, but that is nowhere near the estimated $106M project cost. They are waiting to hear from an application they submitted to the feds for $73.1M from the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP).

From the linked report:
"As outlined in report COR-FFM-21-04/COR-CFN-21-09 dated February 9, 2021, the overall KVTH Project is currently paused pending funding availability. Metrolinx is committed to moving forward with the work within the adjacent rail corridor to relocate their platform to the KVTH site as a critical part of the Kitchener Line expansion in preparation for two-way all-day GO service. As outlined in Report COR-FFM-21-09 dated June 22, 2021, some elements of the Region’s site design are moving forward in parallel with the Metrolinx design work in order to ensure that site circulation, parking, bus loop and passenger pick up and drop off area are coordinated and can be ready for use when Metrolinx is ready to move to the new platform (expected Summer 2023)."

I'm assuming that the "some elements" are the bare essentials which can fit within the $43M they have already secured.

Last edited:
I imagine the feds will give them the money. The project makes a lot of sense.
Yeah is it's a fantastic and absolutely necessary project in order for AD2W Kitchener service to succeed (and it would be a nice bonus for the LRT too). It's just so frustrating how it's been in and out of limbo for the past decade. If I recall correctly, the original plan was for it to open in 2015 along with the LRT (which itself was somewhat delayed but nowhere near by as much). Now the best-case scenario (time-wise) is that we have a bare platform with a ramp to a bus terminal and a surface parking lot in mid-2023.

I've been in working in Kitchener for the past few days. I noticed every ION train i have been on has two security guards. They must have had some serious problems to spend that kind of money on security. They weren't checking fares either. Just keeping an eye on the passengers.

I've been in working in Kitchener for the past few days. I noticed every ION train i have been on has two security guards. They must have had some serious problems to spend that kind of money on security. They weren't checking fares either. Just keeping an eye on the passengers.
Welcome to the mean streets of KW!

The sidewalk on the east side of King is closed, and the retaining wall was moved and dug out to add what seems to be a ramp or stairway, wondering if this has anything to do with a platform entrance on this side.

PXL_20211217_211454463.jpg

The sidewalk on the east side of King is closed, and the retaining wall was moved and dug out to add what seems to be a ramp or stairway, wondering if this has anything to do with a platform entrance on this side.
That is indeed the location of a ramp up to the multi-use path which will head west along the south side railway, and connect to the south platform of the station via a new pedestrian bridge.

Here's the diagram from the June 2021 project update. Areas highlighted in purple are being built by the Region and areas in yellow are being built by Metrolinx, both with a planned opening date of Summer 2023. Areas highlighted in green are on hold due to lack of funding.
Afbeelding1.png

The path is on the left side labeled <5>, and the legend says "Proposed Multi-use trail connection to Iron Horse Trail". It's not highlighted at all, because I think it's being built as a separate project from the station itself. The pedestrian bridge is included in the scope which will be built by the Region for the initial opening.

Sidenote: I still don't get why they're putting the platform so far east, and don't make use of the platform segments which already exist on the King Street overpass. Many trains will likely be 6 cars, which means they won't extend west of Waterloo Street.

Last edited:
Sidenote: I still don't get why they're putting the platform so far east, and don't make use of the platform segments which already exist on the King Street overpass. Many trains will likely be 6 cars, which means they won't extend west of Waterloo Street.
Metrolinx has said that signal sighting will be a concern if they use the entire length of the platform over King Street. The west end of the train will be close enough that reading the signals at Kitchener West will be difficult. This is also why they will be closing the level crossing at Duke.

Dan

Back