440     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Intercity Bus Services

Here is the sign according to Streetview:

View attachment 552303

I guess it's possible that GO had 'authorized' other companies to use the lanes.

It's not a matter of being red or green, it's a matter of being trained to use those specific bus lanes.

Only specifically authorized vehicles are permitted because that the lanes are severely substandard and therefore have additional rules for operation. If I recall correctly from my TTC training, you can only drive in those bus lanes when traffic is moving slowly, and you are not allowed to exceed 80 (?) in the lanes.

If they just allowed any random charter bus in the lanes, you'd end up with some out-of-town bus driver trying to go full speed in the lane and crashing.
Agreed. I wasn’t familiar with the local specifics. I agree that only authorized vehicles/drivers should be allowed, but that qualification should be open in principle to any scheduled (though: not necessarily to chartered) bus services, regardless of their operator…

Agreed. I wasn’t familiar with the local specifics. I agree that only authorized vehicles/drivers should be allowed, but that qualification should be open in principle to any scheduled (though: not necessarily to chartered) bus services, regardless of their operator…
Charters are also removing cars from the road.

Given how infrequently used the lane is, I don't see any need to not use a broad definition.

Under the old regime, when Greyhound and Ontario Northland both ran between Toronto and Sudbury, Greyhound was not permitted to make revenue stops between Barrie and Sudbury; it had a rest stop in Parry Sound but was not allowed to discharge or take on customers. Interesting that Flixbus is doing so, as the speed would be the one advantage, especially since some of the Sudbury runs are now routed through Orillia and Coldwater now.

Under the old regime, when Greyhound and Ontario Northland both ran between Toronto and Sudbury, Greyhound was not permitted to make revenue stops between Barrie and Sudbury; it had a rest stop in Parry Sound but was not allowed to discharge or take on customers. Interesting that Flixbus is doing so, as the speed would be the one advantage, especially since some of the Sudbury runs are now routed through Orillia and Coldwater now.
It was actually at a gas station/restaurant/motel just south of MacTier that opened for an hour or so under contract (an least in the 1970s). We used to drop in on the midnight shift for coffee. Some of the overnight clientele were 'interesting' and the proprietor appreciated our presence.

It was actually at a gas station/restaurant/motel just south of MacTier that opened for an hour or so under contract (an least in the 1970s). We used to drop in on the midnight shift for coffee. Some of the overnight clientele were 'interesting' and the proprietor appreciated our presence.

In the 1990s, it was at the McDonalds in Parry Sound. In the last years of Greyhound, it was at the Lick’s at Seguin Trail just south of Parry Sound.

In the 1990s, it was at the McDonalds in Parry Sound. In the last years of Greyhound, it was at the Lick’s at Seguin Trail just south of Parry Sound.
Right, I remember seeing them at the Sequin service centre.

None of that existed in the 1970s when it was still Hwy 103/69. There was a sketchy 24-hour truck stop near Silver Lake (on now Lake Joseph Rd.) and, in the late 70s, another just north of where the buses stopped.

Back